Quantcast
My Primitive Root Diffuser Build. Check it Out! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My Primitive Root Diffuser Build. Check it Out!
Old 3rd October 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
My Primitive Root Diffuser Build. Check it Out!

Hey Guys/Gals. So about a month ago I started building a Primitive Root Diffuser based upon some calculations from here:

Calculate a Two-Dimensional Primitive Root Diffuser (Skyline)

I was pretty busy so it took longer than expected, but now its done and I must say...it helps..ALOT. Imaging has improved. I can "see" into the mix much more now. And the top end in my room sounds smoother - yet partially brighter...just clearer overall. No more phase cancellation in the upper range at my mix spot.

Let me know what you all think and If you have any questions I'd love to answer them. I think I'm becoming more addicted to Room Acrostics than gear lately - just because of the major differences I'm hearing.

Some Info on the Diffuser...

It diffuses from 2500 to 20,000hz. Due to the size and shape of my room, I chose to diffuse only the upper mid to high range and absorb the mid - lower frequencies. I find that I get a flatter freq response and great translation. I've been doing it this way for a while now and this unit has taken that concept up a big notch with better diffusion properties and better imagining. I went with 2x2 cedar for the wells (room smells nice now ha ha)..I was able to pick out some harder pieces and top it off with a nice clear coat enamel to harden the surface a little more - I prefer it this way.

Kyle D

P.S. Not my Carona Light or Bud Light back there....hahhaa
Attached Thumbnails
My Primitive Root Diffuser Build.  Check it Out!-primative-root-diffusor-008.jpg   My Primitive Root Diffuser Build.  Check it Out!-primative-root-diffusor-009.jpg   My Primitive Root Diffuser Build.  Check it Out!-primative-root-diffusor-010.jpg   My Primitive Root Diffuser Build.  Check it Out!-primative-root-diffusor-011.jpg  
Old 3rd October 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi!I've never been interested in that aspect of the studio, mainly because I don't have the opportunity to have one, but I thought I'd check out your post because it seems do-it-yourself, which I am a BIG FAN of.I think your diffuser looks wonderful! I love wood. It must be very heavy, right? Did you seal (wood sealer) every little piece, or the whole assembly?again, very nice...!
ps: I am almost certain that the type of wood will affect, to a very undiscenrable degree, the amount of sonic absorbtion. I don't really know how, though.</p>
Old 3rd October 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hey,

I sprayed the entire build once finished. And YES the type of wood makes a big difference in sound. I would have gone for an Oak or Mahogany, but the two are very expensive. I was able to get my hands on some harder cedar (pays to be nice to the guys at the lumber yard), which is cheaper.

Since this was my first build of this type, I figured I'd sorta "experiment" on this one and then when I get a new place and build one that diffuses much lower...I'll go with something harder.

Thanks for looking!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Gorgeous. Did you use wood/carpenters glue or did you nail each one? What is the overall weight of this beautiful monster?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I used Liquid Nails - Heavy Duty for each one. The ones around the sides are nailed and then everything is just glued into each other. Its solid!

I figure it weights in at about 100lbs.

Thanks
Kyle
Old 4th October 2009 | Show parent
Deleted 56021e5
That is a great DYI job ... about using different kinds of wood might not affect sound that much.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrebrito ➑️
That is a great DYI job ... about using different kinds of wood might not affect sound that much.
Thanks Andre! I guess it helps that I have carpenter in my blood

Good info on the wood...If I could stick with Cedar....I would, just because of cost.

Plus, the room smells nice!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just curious - how much does that thing weigh?

Great job!

-Ben B
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
about 100lbs or so... Thanks Ben!

I'm almost compelled to start building them for other ppl!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
what did you use to cut the wood?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That's pimp. Congratulations. It seems like there's a bit of a Diffusion Enlightenment going on around these parts lately.
Old 5th October 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks Guys.

hirocaster - I used my 12" Compound Mider.

100 tooth titanium blade for extra fine cuts.
Old 5th October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi Kyle! Excellent build. Looks very impressive!
Old 16th March 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
What numbers did you use in the calculator?
Old 17th May 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Numbers used from oliverprime.com

Great job! Can't wait to build mine. Judging from the picture, it looked like these might be the numbers used.

P PR aspect ratio grid size
1151 17 1.8 46 x 25

To achieve the correct "well width" I noticed from messing around with the calculator that you have to set:

Highest frequency: 4500 Hz
Well length/width = 343/4500/2*100 = 3.81 cm

To accommodate 2x2 wood from the US, which is more like 1.5" x 1.5"
Because 3.81cm = 1.5 inches.

I hope I'm right because I'm about to start on this project today
Old 3rd June 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I realize this is an old thread, but trying to disambiguate something about building these that I can't figure or find.

In the 2D PRD calculators are the layouts showing the lengths of the pieces or depths of the wells?

I realize one will figure the other, but which do the calculator layouts show?

If the range was 0-40cm, would a coordinated layout value of 30cm mean a piece 30cm in length or 10cm (the remainder) in length?

Thanks.
Peace.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…