Quantcast
Panels across corner vs flush - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Panels across corner vs flush
Old 9th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Panels across corner vs flush

Im wondering whether a 2.4 metre x 1.2 x100mil panel across a corner will be better than 2x 2.4 x1.2 m flush mounted on both walls (in an L configuration).Im thinking about space here, its a vocal booth.
With 2x panels Ill have more coverage but am thinking across a corner will give better absorbtion at lower freq.
Anto
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by anto ➑️
Im wondering whether a 2.4 metre x 1.2 x100mil panel across a corner will be better than 2x 2.4 x1.2 m flush mounted on both walls (in an L configuration).Im thinking about space here, its a vocal booth.
With 2x panels Ill have more coverage but am thinking across a corner will give better absorbtion at lower freq.
Anto
Ethan Winer here on the forums claims that putting 2 in each corner flush to the wall is equal to 1 straddling. I don't have any direct testing with it that way, but Ethan is a pretty smart guy.

ETHAN???????????????????? do you have testing on this?

Glenn
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I hope Ethan is right - both doors in my mixing room are right on the corner w/ no way to straddle them. Both doors need to be operational so I'm thinking of putting a 2" panel on each door and then on the wall, butted up as close as possible to the corner.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb415 ➑️
I hope Ethan is right - both doors in my mixing room are right on the corner w/ no way to straddle them. Both doors need to be operational so I'm thinking of putting a 2" panel on each door and then on the wall, butted up as close as possible to the corner.
You are going to need to use 4" panels. 2" is not going to absorb enough of the lows.

Glenn
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras ➑️
ETHAN???????????????????? do you have testing on this?
I never tested that formally, but it certainly works well. And when you can't straddle a corner, it's the only reasonable solution anyway.

--Ethan
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer ➑️
I never tested that formally, but it certainly works well. And when you can't straddle a corner, it's the only reasonable solution anyway.

--Ethan
I guess it would be fun to test in a lab. I am not saying you are wrong, but I also wonder if it really does work as well as just one going across the corner. Is this just a gut feeling you have or do you have some science behind the method?

I guess playing it safe with putting it on a stand would be more my pick. BUT HEY!!!!!!

Glenn
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
You are going to need to use 4" panels. 2" is not going to absorb enough of the lows.

Glenn
That presents a problem Glenn, as both doors need to be able to open as fully as possible. 4" sticking out of a wall, going against a door that has another 4" sticking out from it - will they be able to open more than half-way? Maybe it would be better if I made 2 traps with 4" depth but not mounted to the door(s); then I can straddle those corners by moving them into place after I'm in and the doors are closed.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Lightbulb

Quote:
I guess it would be fun to test in a lab. I am not saying you are wrong, but I also wonder if it really does work as well as just one going across the corner. Is this just a gut feeling you have or do you have some science behind the method?

I guess playing it safe with putting it on a stand would be more my pick. BUT HEY!!!!!!

Glenn
I didn't say it's as good, but it's better than having only one trap on the wall near the corner! Don't forget we're comparing two traps to only one, so that alone helps a lot. If I ever test this I won't bother with a lab. I'll just try four traps straddling the corners in our "lab" room versus eight on the walls. It also depends if the wall traps are flat or spaced away. Too many variables, not enough time or interest. As we all know, the best approach is to put as many traps across or near as many corners as possible.

Traps on stands are good too, but if the door has a lot of traffic moving the stand gets old very quickly.

--Ethan
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'll just try four traps straddling the corners in our "lab" room versus eight on the walls.
You own a lab??? wow lol lol
Sorry just busting on you.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Maybe it would be better if I made 2 traps with 4" depth but not mounted to the door(s); then I can straddle those corners by moving them into place after I'm in and the doors are closed.
That is what I would do.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb415 ➑️
That presents a problem Glenn, as both doors need to be able to open as fully as possible. 4" sticking out of a wall, going against a door that has another 4" sticking out from it - will they be able to open more than half-way? Maybe it would be better if I made 2 traps with 4" depth but not mounted to the door(s); then I can straddle those corners by moving them into place after I'm in and the doors are closed.
That sounds like a good plan. In addition to solving yourbass trapping needs, movable panels can come in handy for lots of things
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Lightbulb

Quote:
You own a lab??? wow lol lol
In fact I do. Here's me and the Missus dong some late night experimenting.

Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Ive hung a couple of panels flush and carpeted the floor and already there is a big difference.Ive also made a 4m by 700mm frame for the control room and filled that with polyester batts and that is working well.its running between the ceiling and wall horizontaly.Im going to make another for the the side wall and a couple of clouds.
thanks for your help
Anto
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
In fact I do. Here's me and the Missus dong some late night experimenting.

That ROCKS!!thumbsup
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Lightbulb

I was working in the lab late one night
When my eyes beheld an eerie sight
For my monster from his slab began to rise
And suddenly to my surprise

He did the mash
He did the monster mash
The monster mash
It was a graveyard smash
He did the mash
It caught on in a flash
He did the mash
He did the monster mash
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I was working in the lab late one night
When my eyes beheld an eerie sight
For my monster from his slab began to rise
And suddenly to my surprise

He did the mash
He did the monster mash
The monster mash
It was a graveyard smash
He did the mash
It caught on in a flash
He did the mash
He did the monster mash

now I will be singing that darn song all day. Thank ETHAN WINER!!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Lightbulb

You're quite welcome GLENN KURAS.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…