Quantcast
Money Growing on Trees? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Money Growing on Trees?
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Money Growing on Trees?

(I’m new to the form, so please skip the first paragraph if you wish… it’s just a get to know me anyway…)

I am planning on spending a lot of money on acoustical treatment for my new recording studio. To this point I was the “gear junkie,” as Ethan likes to call us, and I spent all of my money on buying the next piece of gear and completely ignoring the fact that $2,000 in acoustical treatment can end up making more of a difference than $20,000 in new gear. The space hasn’t been built yet, but it’s about to go under construction. I am spending most of my money on absorption for bass, some on midrange absorption, and therefore don’t have money left for diffusion. Of course one day I plan on buying “real” diffusers, but for now one of my friends has QUITE the obscure idea.
A friend of mine made multiple diffusers out of a 2 X 2 plywood backing (1/2 inch), and then took tree branches, anywhere from 1 to 2 inches in diameter, cut them “flat” on one side and randomly angled on the other, had lengths ranging anywhere from ½ inch to 3 inches, and then spaced them randomly with gorilla glue (flat side down)on the plywood creating a “city skyline” look. He said that he used different types of branches in order to have different densities within each diffuser to have it affect many different frequencies and not resonate sympathetically to only a certain range. Would this really work, at least for now?

I know it would not compare at all to a professional diffuser done with mathematical equations and precise measurements, but I guess my question is… will it at least help as opposed to a flat wall? Better than a bookshelf?

Cory
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojo67 ➡️
will it at least help as opposed to a flat wall? Better than a bookshelf?
Maybe, but why go to all that trouble when it's no more difficult to do it right and use a known design / pattern?

--Ethan
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer ➡️
Maybe, but why go to all that trouble when it's no more difficult to do it right and use a known design / pattern?

--Ethan
I would agree. There are tons of plans on the web for building all kinds of diffusion correctly. Anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time.

Glenn
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Ethan, Glen, do either one of you have a specific recommendation for a site that is both accurate BUT also very easy to understand. I am definitely NOT the best at calculating mathematical formulas. If it would be easy to build one the right way, I'm all for learning the right way.

Thank you guys
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
a lot of people use the following tool to build a skyline;

mh-audio.nl - AcousticCalculator
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…