Moveable side panels - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moveable side panels
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Moveable side panels

hi everyone

on the side of my mixing position I have a window and a wardrobe, thererefore I cannot put up any permanent side absorption. I was wondering: if I use moveable panels, will it be the same as if they were hanging on the walls?

Could the moveable side panels be positioned half way between the mixing position and the side walls? Or should they be as near to the walls as possible?

Thanks for your help

andrea :-)
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
if I use moveable panels, will it be the same as if they were hanging on the walls?
YES YES YES.

Quote:
Could the moveable side panels be positioned half way between the mixing position and the side walls? Or should they be as near to the walls as possible?
In some cases that will work. The trick is to hit the reflections between where you sit and the monitors. If the panel(s) ends up in the room more (in the path of the reflection) then that is fine. See the following article on early reflections. What Are Early Reflection Points. SPOTLIGHT:Bob Ebeling - Revolution Studio
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
A few years back I bought some auralex tiles. I used a bit of glue and stuck them right to the wall. When it came time to move I wanted to take the tiles with me (they weren't exactly cheap). I had to carefully pull them off the wall without trashing them. I lost a bit of foam on a few tiles.

To avoid this in the future, I decided to mount the foam panels on thin cardboard and put a thin frame around them. I can now hang them like pictures. I placed little rubber feet on the four corners to stand them off the wall a bit and, although probably not needed, to avoid them vibrating against the wall.

Honestly I prefer the look of the tiles in frames. It gives them a finished look.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven โžก๏ธ
A few years back I bought some auralex tiles. I used a bit of glue and stuck them right to the wall. When it came time to move I wanted to take the tiles with me (they weren't exactly cheap). I had to carefully pull them off the wall without trashing them. I lost a bit of foam on a few tiles.

To avoid this in the future, I decided to mount the foam panels on thin cardboard and put a thin frame around them. I can now hang them like pictures. I placed little rubber feet on the four corners to stand them off the wall a bit and, although probably not needed, to avoid them vibrating against the wall.

Honestly I prefer the look of the tiles in frames. It gives them a finished look.
That's a smart move. If you're going to use foam, then that's the way to do it. Taking that stuff off the walls any other way frickin' SUCKS.

Frank
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
great

great, thanks for the advice. Hopefully it will make the difference i am hoping.

It will take probably a couple of weeks before I can do that, but will post someRTA measurement with / without moveable panels, with a couple of photos too. It may be usefult to other people

Thanks again

andrea :-)
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…