Standing waves and obstructions - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Standing waves and obstructions
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Standing waves and obstructions

Hi all,

I am in the planning and buying phase of sound treating the control room of my basement studio and was wondering if someone could answer something for me.

I have six bookcases loaded with books, each of which is a foot deep and almost floor to ceiling. The current plan is to place them so that three of the walls have two bookcases apiece. The fourth wall has no space for bookcases since it has the door and window between the control room and the tracking room.

I have a considerable amount of 703 which I will be making into panels for walls and ceiling.

I have been considering buying sheets of 705 and building it into corner traps, making panels which are floor to ceiling and 4" thick and 24" wide and placing them across the corners but it occurs to me that this might not be necessary. Will the bookcases take care of any standing waves, am I merely looking at a different problem, or does it not make a difference either way?

I'm not sure if it matters but the room is half concrete and half drywall.

I've done a bunch of searching on this but haven't found anything more helpful than "bookcases are awesome for diffusion". Thanks in advance if anyone has any idea.
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Bookcases full of books do act as diffusers but a purpose built diffuser diffuses most frequencies where placed.
The bookcase is not so tuned. So some frequencies will be diffused others won't and can effect your perception in the mix.
If you gotta live with the bookcases they'll be better than nothing but I'd put most of them on your rear most wall If they'll all fit.

Definitely build bass traps in all corners. Also, on the sides, ceiling and mid front some broadband absorbers at the reflection points between you and your monitors.
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by msquared ➡️
I've done a bunch of searching on this but haven't found anything more helpful than "bookcases are awesome for diffusion".
That's a myth that is tough to kill off, but I'm trying. heh Real diffusors are infinitely better than bookcases. See this video that lets you hear a variety of surfaces close up:

All About Diffusion

--Ethan
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…