Home Studio Treatment - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Home Studio Treatment
Old 6th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Home Studio Treatment

Hi,

I'm about to give my home studio an acoustic makeover and was hoping to get some feedback on my ideas.

About the Room

The room shape is irregular but the size is decent, approx. 3.80x4.20x3.40 meters. My measurements indicate that the worst peeks and nulls are found in the 80-200 Hz range. At the optimal listening position I have particularly nasty null at around 90 Hz. It moves up and down the frequency spectrum when I change the distance to the front wall, so I'm gussing that reflected sound from the rear of my speakers is causing this.

The floor of the room is tiled, all walls are bare and there is not much furniture. I use the studio for mixing only, not recording.

What I Intend To Do

I'm not sure if stereo imaging will ever be good in this room as it is highly asymmetrical so my first priority is to tame the bass frequencies. I'm also planning to build 2 mid/hi frequency absorbers to deal with early reflections from the side walls (ceiling is unfortunately not an option). Hopefully this will bring some clarity to the sound.

I'm in Vietnam so my choices are limited in terms of materials. I have however found a supplier that carries a few Rockwool products. I'm planning to use the Rockwool slabs shown here: Cong Ty TNHH Cach Nhiet Licom (sound absorption data is given in English near the bottom of the page).

I'm planning to use 120 kg/m3 rockwool slabs to build 8 bass traps, each measuring 1,200x900x100 mm. Would this be adequate? Would I be better off using the same amount of rockwool to build deeper traps ? And how about the density - is 120 kg really the best option?

For the mid/hi frequency absorbers I'm planning to use 50 mm thick 50kg/m3 Rockwool slabs mounted on plywood boards. Are there any problems with this approach?

Your advice is be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Rasmus
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'm planning to use 120 kg/m3 rockwool slabs to build 8 bass traps, each measuring 1,200x900x100 mm. Would this be adequate? Would I be better off using the same amount of rockwool to build deeper traps ? And how about the density - is 120 kg really the best option?
I am to lazy to convert this to inches right now, but if they are 4" or more thick then that is fine and 4 pound or higher on the density.

Quote:
so I'm gussing that reflected sound from the rear of my speakers is causing this.
It could be but I would say the BACK WALL!

Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras ➡️
4 pound or higher on the density
The slabs I'm talking about are 7.6 pounds/cubic foot... overkill? Or the more the better?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…