The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My bass trap
Old 7th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras โžก๏ธ
Maybe I am not understanding what his plan really is
I just learned that my rear wall is built to work as a Helmholtz Resonator. Didn't know that when I built it. I believe that there's info about that on both your (GIKs) and Ethans homepages.
Old 8th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Ceiling absorbers in place!

A final pic of my room treatment project before this thread falls into oblivion...

Sum up: Five months since I had the acoustician here. 1) Built a Helmholzt resonator/absorber covered w diffusors on my rear wall 2) Added 35cm of treatment to the 5cm treatment on my front wall 3) Built nine ceiling absorbers to add 12cm of treatment to the 5cm already there.

Budget (excl acoustic expert) approx $4k (Diffusors and a door cost almost $3k...). 15-20 working days to get everything in place...

Results: Got 10+dBs more lo end, much more even and controlled sound. Also sound is much more even in my whole room.

Left to do: Fine tuning placement of console/speakers. New speakers!

edit: After fine tuning placement of console/speakers I got even better bass response as seen on the orange curve.

BTW: I'd be more than grateful for any comment on the graphs I posted the other day. Specially the waterfall plots.
Attached Thumbnails
My bass trap-ceilingabsorbers.jpg   My bass trap-sweetspotjune9.jpg  
Old 8th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Looks great...nice gear too.

Frank
Old 9th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
looks really nice! hope you get some comments on those graphs though, so lets bump this!
Old 9th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by polloymedio โžก๏ธ
looks really nice! hope you get some comments on those graphs though, so lets bump this!
Thx again Polloymedio! I don't know, but I'd guess that since I hired an expert to help me, the pro's from RT and GIK etc that are so helpful at GS all the time don't want to get caught too deeply in a discussion. I'd really respect that. They're so generous anyway. Great guys!

And I did send the plots to my guy too, and he just commented. He thought that the bass drop was a little on the steep side but, in this case with all the treatment in my room, would be ok to be compensated with a sub and maybe a little bit of eq if needed. He also didn't like the 300Hz peak on the rear of room plot. No biggie but nevertheless. And he thought that my graph looks better (and sounded better) than many other studios and that I should be content with it.

I'd love more comments anyway. I've learnt so much in this process. It has been very interesting and all input are welcome. Yesterday I read (again) some of Ethans articles about speaker positioning. After some experimenting I believe I found the best position for my console, approx 20cm from the original position, which gave +3dBs around 60Hz and I believe a little bit flatter response overall. Quite rewarding!

Room treatment is a very interesting subject and hanging out on this part of GS has really gotten into a habit.
Old 20th August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I believe and hope that this will be the last chapter of this thread and my room issues.

I got an ADAM Sub10 and later a pair of ADAM S2X. As the experienced would have guessed, 25-35Hz got a little out of hand with the sub. At sweetspot (green graph) things are working fairly ok, but in the middle of the room (red graph) not, which is seen on the graph . I'll have to keep the sub down a little until further trapping arrives.

At first I thought that the quite massive traps that I built didn't do the job because I thought that the low peak was the "healthy" and that I still had a dip at 45Hz. But the acoustician, who I hired again, did measure that the traps works as they should, which was a big relief for me after all the work and money spent. He said that with a sub the 25-35Hz issue almost always occurs in rooms that are not built as a studio from the start.
He also found two corners in the room to put these: Basabsorbenter

Fuzz Measure shows a peak in the middle of the room between 30-50Hz, but the acoustician, who measured with noise, told me that the problem is 30Hz. So when I get those new absorbers in three weeks I've got the instruction to send a 30Hz tone through my room, sit beside the absorber and adjust the opening to the setting where I hear the tone the least. It'll of course tame more than just 30Hz, but I'll start that way and see. Back in a while.
Attached Thumbnails
My bass trap-s2xwsub10aug17.jpg  
๐Ÿ“ Reply