Quantcast
and now for chunky questions - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
and now for chunky questions
Old 5th February 2009
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
and now for chunky questions

I asked earlier about a tri-trap but say I were to try this on my own. I'm wondering if there is a common theme for chunk size in regards to freqs that are affected. I would need to make a corner superchunk trap 40" high. From my calcs that would take 5 panels of 2" 703 to make 20 chunks.

So in the bang for the buck type question, what about making them out of 16" chunks or 12" chunks instead of 24"? Would a 12" triangle trap be as good as a 4" panel straddling the corner? I know it would be a lot more work.

Next, let's say you guys tell me a 16" corner chunk trap ok. So I would have some 8" by 48" pieces. If I made some 8x8" stand up traps and set around the room would they do any good? or 12x12" stand ups? Not sure what these are called but I bet you guys know what I mean.

Speaking of square (towers?) traps, would these work in a corner? It looks like they have more surface exposed than the triangle type.

So is there any sort of known frequency data for using 12 or 16" chunks as opposed to 24"?

I think since my room has such an odd shape I may go with 1 24" superchunk and maybe one 12" and a couple of straddlers 4" or 6". Is there any problem with mix and match?

I think that's all I can think of to ask right now.
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
So in the bang for the buck type question, what about making them out of 16" chunks or 12" chunks instead of 24"? Would a 12" triangle trap be as good as a 4" panel straddling the corner? I know it would be a lot more work.
There is no way of knowing without testing it in a lab. Stick with what is known.

Quote:
Speaking of square (towers?) traps, would these work in a corner? It looks like they have more surface exposed than the triangle type.
Yep, that is like our pillar trap. SUPER COOL stuff.

Quote:
So is there any sort of known frequency data for using 12 or 16" chunks as opposed to 24"?
Not that I know of

Quote:
I think since my room has such an odd shape I may go with 1 24" superchunk and maybe one 12" and a couple of straddlers 4" or 6". Is there any problem with mix and match?
Go with the 24" chunk and the rest 6" straddling the corner. Use 6" on the back wall if you are in a smaller room.

Quote:
I think that's all I can think of to ask right now.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
As always, thank you very much.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…