Quantcast
Portable Basstraps! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Portable Basstraps!
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Portable Basstraps!

Hey guys what do you think about making these Basstraps as I need them portable. Flat Renting is the worst for us don't you think?

The reason I am asking is the wood it's been used seems to be mdf is that the best option or would it be better to make three thin stands for the base and top instead of that flat wood covering both sides of it?...

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Portable Basstraps!-portable-basstraps.jpg  
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B ➑️
Hey guys what do you think about making these Basstraps as I need them portable. Flat Renting is the worst for us don't you think?

The reason I am asking is the wood it's been used seems to be mdf is that the best option or would it be better to make three thin stands for the base and top instead of that flat wood covering both sides of it?...

Thanks in advance.
Having a hard time understanding your question (early here heh) but from what I can tell either way will work. You just don't want wood on the face of the bass trap.

Glenn
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I will post a picture of what I meant!....

Thanks.
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
The traps in those pictures will work just fine.

Frank
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel9992 ➑️
The traps in those pictures will work just fine.

Frank

Thanks Frank I was thinking to make a drawing of what I mean by three wood sticks one for each of the corner of the triangular base of the basstraps. Instead of those wide panels covering the sides.

But I am not going to make it as I m not a good at it.heh

Did I explain it well now?

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Allow me to help.

He's asking if the skeleton frame pictured below will be more effective than the panel frame:
Attached Thumbnails
Portable Basstraps!-superchuck-frame.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
not acoustically speaking...

the skeleton version will be much more unstable for portability sake, unless some cross members are utilized
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
Allow me to help.

He's asking if the skeleton frame pictured below will be more effective than the panel frame:
You are my Savior.... Ohh my gosh!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
not acoustically speaking...

the skeleton version will be much more unstable for portability sake, unless some cross members are utilized

Well my question was about absorption level. But you are right the second one would be better in case I wanna take it somewhere.

So what about the response against frequencies.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
(a guess)

if it were screwed directly to the wall, there'd be little difference between the two. but as they are going to be moved around, presumably they will be placed on the floor, and the base molding will inhibit it from being flush to the wall surface. because of this, the skeleton frame should be more effective, as it allows great surface area of absorbtion. but again, this is a guess
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
(a guess)

if it were screwed directly to the wall, there'd be little difference between the two. but as they are going to be moved around, presumably they will be placed on the floor, and the base molding will inhibit it from being flush to the wall surface. because of this, the skeleton frame should be more effective, as it allows great surface area of absorbtion. but again, this is a guess

I was worried about the base molding actually and I thought I could hang the trap somehow to get it against the wall as much as possible. As long as I don't have to screw them to the wall, this is not my house so you know...

I will only lose that bit to cover. I don't think it will ruin my intentions at all.

???
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Arrow

Anybody there?

One more thing if you allow me.

I found rockwool with 120kg of density and a pretty cool absorption levels through the low end. Is it the highest density what I should aim for?
Attached Thumbnails
Portable Basstraps!-absorption-graph.png  
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Anyone willing to help please?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I was worried about the base molding actually and I thought I could hang the trap somehow to get it against the wall as much as possible. As long as I don't have to screw them to the wall, this is not my house so you know...

I will only lose that bit to cover. I don't think it will ruin my intentions at all.

???
It seems like you are making something like our Tri Trap? If so you can pull it away from the wall to clear the base molding without any problems. We tested ours with it tight in the corner then pulled it away 4". It did change the absorption but not by any mean able amount.

Glenn
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
also, you could build a riser for the trap to sit on to clear the base molding, so that it'd look a bit more finished in the corner without having to actually mount it.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thanks guys I finally got them piled shaping the base molding then along the wall and finally I am going to put some wood aside just to prevent them to fall down and I will cover it from side to side with stapled fabric. I did want to have it portable but it seems its going to be easier for now and yes I can feel a difference. As someone said... Better to spend money and time in your room rather than having the most expensive monitors on market.

By the way the rockwool I used was 40 kg density only and was not rigid but semi-rigid instead. It works just fine and the cost was much lower.

I will post some pictures when done.

Luis.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'm not sure how this would work but what I thought of was add a piece of wood to the bottom of the trap and put some casters on it. You could get some 3 inch casters to clear the baseboard (or whatever size you need.) Place them far enough in on the bottom that you can push the trap into the corner all the way. Get casters with locks and you are set. Like I said I am not sure what this would do to the acoustics but I can't imagine it would hurt that much.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceactor ➑️
I'm not sure how this would work but what I thought of was add a piece of wood to the bottom of the trap and put some casters on it. You could get some 3 inch casters to clear the baseboard (or whatever size you need.) Place them far enough in on the bottom that you can push the trap into the corner all the way. Get casters with locks and you are set. Like I said I am not sure what this would do to the acoustics but I can't imagine it would hurt that much.
Good Idea but I finally placed one triangle on the floor and the rest above exactly from the baseboard so that triangle acts like the casters you said.

That first triangle can be cut to match the second one depth which is two or three inches so it will leave a flat shape from ceiling to floor.

I will post some pics when finished.

I do not think is the best solution but let me see how it looks at the end.

Luis.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…