Quantcast
Small superchunk - too small to be worthwhile? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Small superchunk - too small to be worthwhile?
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Small superchunk - too small to be worthwhile?

I'm going through the age old problem of making acoustic treatment acceptable in the eyes of my girlfriend. The problem is my music room is primarily the living room, and has a secondary purpose as the dining room. Music comes about third or fourth...

As far as bass trapping, I think i can get away with superchunks measuring ~30cm deep (at the deepest point) with an open face of about 42cm across (so 30cm x 30cm square cut in half to make the triangles).

Is this too small to be worthwhile?

Secondly, I can't go full height floor to ceiling - the layout (including fixed objects like doors, heaters, windows) won't allow it. Can I just treat the bottom (or top) 4ft or so?

Thirdly - the layout isn't symmetrical, and I'm stuck with that. This also means that the bass trapping may not be symmetrical. Am I better aiming for symmetrical treatment, or a little extra where I can fit it?

Thanks!

Seb
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Yes

Seb, I have found Superchunks to be very powerful. Thus they are probably the best choice you could make. Be aware that all corners are valid. e.g. ceiling/wall junctions. Do your best for symmetry with side reflection treatment. Bass wavelengths are very long so symmetry is not a priority. Go for as much Bass Trapping in Corners as you can possibly do.
If you have dosh, take a look at GIK TriTraps ( perhaps in those ceiling wall corners, and perhaps the RPG Modex.

Best, DD
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…