Room analysis software w/ProTools HD interface - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Room analysis software w/ProTools HD interface
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Question Room analysis software w/ProTools HD interface

Greetings all,

I just completed (initial) acoustic treating of my studio & am wanting to do some frequency response analysis.

I've installed Room EQ Wizard which appears to only interface with directly connected computer speakers/mics. Less I reach the point of diminishing returns, I need to be able to access my studio monitors & mics (via ProTools HD | Accel).

I thought I'd poll the experts here on if anyone has a quick remedy before continuing to search. Perhaps there is a workaround - either someway to get software to recognize the mics/speakers or not working in real-time (e.g. using saved .wav files to calibrate and analyze)?

I wasn't able to find anything via searches (on this forum or at large). Closest potential I found was a room analysis and correction plug-in; ARC System, not what I'm after.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,
Paje
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
FM

Get a demo of FuzzMeasure. If you are on an older Mac get the right version. REW is flaky.
DD
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan ➑️
Get a demo of FuzzMeasure. If you are on an older Mac get the right version. REW is flaky.
DD

I agree...

Here's the link;

FuzzMeasure Pro 3

Your room looks very nice! What kind of fabric is that on your panels?

Best regards,

-SD
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I just noticed you must be using Windows. Here's a link to ETF:

ETF Acoustic Measurement Software

-SD
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think the easiest way with HD is to get a USB audio interface with SPDIF, so you can connect to a 192 etc. This is handy to have for playing CDs etc as well and all digital. I use a Maudio audiophile.

Otherwise you can access digi hardware from directsound buts it's a PITA and setting levels is difficult etc. Good luck-

Ryan
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
REW

Paje, I am assured that REW works fine on PC. My 192 works fine with FuzzMeasure but I am on a Mac G5. You should be able to establish a link between REW and your 192.
DD
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thanks kindly for the replies DanDan, sonicdefault & RyanC!

sonicdefault ~> thx, the material is some sort of micro-suede I believe. I ordered the bags from Ready Acoustics.

I've not yet had a chance to try/evaluate the other software options... nor see if I can get REW to work via my 192 interface - will do asap. Meanwhile - I am pretty pleased with the sound (both via monitors & recorded) I'm getting. But, of course, I do still want to do the analysis, to be sure. Nahh.. scratch that, I'd rather be playing ~> YouTube - "Can't Stop the Signal" (aka: "Play That Funky 'coustic White Boy")

Thx again!

Cheers,
Paje
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paje ➑️
sonicdefault ~> thx, the material is some sort of micro-suede I believe. I ordered the bags from Ready Acoustics.
I thought it looked like suede! It goes well with the wood.

Is that a cabin you're in? It looks very cozy and inviting for music. One of my dreams is to have a studio in the mountains.

-SD
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Paje, I am assured that REW works fine on PC. My 192 works fine with FuzzMeasure but I am on a Mac G5. You should be able to establish a link between REW and your 192.
DD
DanDan - where did you get this assurance & could you please forward me a link/instructions? I'm not finding anything on the REW support forum... just posted this to another thread I saw asking the same question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roughmagicstudios
Has anyone here successfully used REW with a Protools HD rig?
I would also like to know the answer to this question (I didn't see one in the replies below). If it is in the affirmative, please direct to any guide/instructions.

I am seeing (in WinXP) ~>

But no option to select in REW:

Thanks in advance.

~Paje

I'm suspecting I should move on to checking other software striaght away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdefault ➑️
I thought it looked like suede! It goes well with the wood.

Is that a cabin you're in? It looks very cozy and inviting for music. One of my dreams is to have a studio in the mountains.

-SD

Thanks. I had actually ordered the black but they were (seriously) back-ordered, so I decided on the tan. I think it's a decent match aesthetically, maybe better (brighter) than the black but - me being no interior designer - black was the first choice (matches everything, right?).
Cabin - yeah - Ted Kaczynski wasn't using the place any longer so.. heh, j/k! It's just the master bedroom of my house. Not in the mountains but adjacent protected wetlands, which is nice.

I really like your idea of a nice remote studio chalet though!

Cheers,
Paje
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC ➑️
I think the easiest way with HD is to get a USB audio interface with SPDIF, so you can connect to a 192 etc. This is handy to have for playing CDs etc as well and all digital. I use a Maudio audiophile.

Otherwise you can access digi hardware from directsound buts it's a PITA and setting levels is difficult etc. Good luck-

Ryan
Hey - just re-read your post Ryan (thanks again!) & realized I actually already do have a USB device with S/PDIF out (a little turtle beach micro). Will give that a shot presently.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
PC Stuff

Paje,
Ethan Winer uses REW and has assured me it works fine on PC.
I suspect the issue here may be global, i.e. you need to take charge of your PC. I know little about them. However I suspect somewhere there is a global instruction to make the 192 the primary or default sound card.
I just read that off the Help section in your screenshot! RTFM
DD
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Paje,
Ethan Winer uses REW and has assured me it works fine on PC.
I suspect the issue here may be global, i.e. you need to take charge of your PC. I know little about them. However I suspect somewhere there is a global instruction to make the 192 the primary or default sound card.
I just read that off the Help section in your screenshot! RTFM
DD
manuals are for wimps!

If only it were that easy ( I was hoping so actually).

I still get sound routing to to my PC speakers (not PT 192 Studio Monitors) & not an option for input ("sound recording") apparently.

& I can't find the *&%! S/PDIF cable for my USB device... lol!

"take charge of my PC"? hahaha - that's a good one! Sounds psychological almost! I've a BS in Aeronautical Engineering, have been working professionally in Info Tech for 15 years, built this system from scratch (as I do most all my systems, see specs for my DAW below*) but I still don't think I've mastered that "take charge" aspect. I hope I'm not guilty of "technical sloth" on this thread - I might be though. After all this time (in tech) I'd rather be playing music.

I'll get it sorted though - no worries.

Cheers,
Paje

* DAW sys build specs:
  • 1 Asus ATI Radeon HD3850 1024MB 2DVI/HDCP PCI-Express Video Card
  • 1 Zalman ZM600-HP 600W Dual-Core Quiet Power Supply
  • 2 STT DDR2-800 2GB (2x1GB) CL4 Dual Channel Memory Kit
  • 6 Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 16MB Hard Drive
  • 1 Asus P5WDG2-WS PRO Socket775/ Core 2 Duo/ 975X/ FSB1066/ CrossFire/ A&2GbE/ ATX Motherboard
  • 1 Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 2.4GHz 1066MHz 8MB LGA775 EM64T CPU,
  • 1 Zalman ZM-F3 12CM w/Silent Mode Case Fan
  • 1 Asus DRW-2014L1T LightScribe 20X Double Layer SATA DVD+/-RW Drive (Black)
  • 1 Antec P182 case
  • 1 Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme cpu cooler
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Mac

Paje, sound flies too, as does the penknife :-)
If you can persuade Bill Gates to use your 192 as a really high class sound card, everything will work for you. Including playing back CD's DVD sound etc. Again, I know little about MS but I suspect you need to download a driver from Digi and install it so that Bill will talk to PT. Or you could just buy a Mac......

DD
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Paje, sound flies too, as does the penknife :-)
If you can persuade Bill Gates to use your 192 as a really high class sound card, everything will work for you. Including playing back CD's DVD sound etc. Again, I know little about MS but I suspect you need to download a driver from Digi and install it so that Bill will talk to PT. Or you could just buy a Mac......

DD
lol! Yeah - sounds like the USB-S/PDIF will accomplish that (cost = $30). If MACs weren't proprietary/monopoly (i.e. I could build my own from cafe style components from competing manufacturers, achieve the same $/performance ratio as the PC and be able to load many different OS's), I'd have been all over them years ago. Guess it's that 'take charge' thing manifesting again. heh Until ProTools (HD) is Linux compatible, I'll stick with WinXP.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Ratio

Ratios, hmmm, I didn't think you could divide by zero :-)
DD
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ratios, hmmm, I didn't think you could divide by zero :-)
DD

πŸ“ Reply