Quantcast
First Panels: Where to Place? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
First Panels: Where to Place?
Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
First Panels: Where to Place?

Just beginning to treat my small one-bedroom studio and have the first two 24" x 24" x 4" panels arriving soon. The wall behind my listening station is an open closet full of clothes so that's probably covered for now. Where is the biggest impact going to be derived from this small amount of coverage? Behind the monitors? In the corners? On large open spaces on the walls? Any insight appreciated.
Old 1st February 2009
elz
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
corners will be the first place to look as this is where the major bass build up will occour.
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash ➑️
Just beginning to treat my small one-bedroom studio and have the first two 24" x 24" x 4" panels arriving soon. The wall behind my listening station is an open closet full of clothes so that's probably covered for now. Where is the biggest impact going to be derived from this small amount of coverage? Behind the monitors? In the corners? On large open spaces on the walls? Any insight appreciated.
I would start with the front corners then the back corners.

See the following page to give you some ideas on acoustic set up.
GIK Acoustics: Room Setup
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i would think all your first reflection points would be the best bet for your first panels, then the corners.

gl
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disjointed ➑️
i would think all your first reflection points would be the best bet for your first panels, then the corners.

gl
I know it seems like it should go that way, but no...corners first, then back and front wall, then reflection points. High frequency stuff around the listening position is not nearly as big a problem as low frequency modal stuff, and it's very easily dealt with.

Frank
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
but with 2 2sq. ft. panels, isn't it likely that he will mount them to the corners and be disappointed in the result? Given the square footage, wouldn't the most noticeable location be side walls?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Noticeable how? Putting the panels at the first reflection points will effect your upper frequencies around the mix position (like Frank said), and that might make the most immediately apparent difference to your ears, but you still haven't done ANYTHING about the biggest real issues which start at the BOTTOM end. Any improvement is still an improvement, but make the most of each step by doing the most effective things first.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricF ➑️
Noticeable how? Putting the panels at the first reflection points will effect your upper frequencies around the mix position (like Frank said), and that might make the most immediately apparent difference to your ears, but you still haven't done ANYTHING about the biggest real issues which start at the BOTTOM end. Any improvement is still an improvement, but make the most of each step by doing the most effective things first.
No, I hear ya... I could just see someone getting discouraged by the results of under bass trapping, as opposed to adequately treating reflections, and giving up on the idea.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Two 2' x 2' panels isn't going to "adequately" treat anything, but it's a start. As long as the OP knows that more needs to be done for decent results, then things will be just fine, I'm sure
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks, yea, it's just a start. Mostly just seeing what quality the product was before investing further with this particular manufacturer. So far, so good, quality seems to be there and, no, I can't tell much difference yet but I know little by little it will improve as I add more.

One thing that did surprise me is that even though the wall behind me is a doorless closet full of clothes (which I thought would take care of itself), the bass drone inside the closet is huge. So I anticipate treating that in some manner down the road as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have no idea who you've bought your panels from to this point, but the good guys at GIK (Glenn and Frank, in particular) will not only sell you great products, but give you as much advice as you need to suit your budget and the needs of your specific space. They do it right - service first, the product will sell itself.

As someone who undertook a fairly significant DIY project about a year ago to acoustically treat my own space, I realized that in the long run (to me, anyway) the time and effort I spent in planning, materials, and construction only saved me a very little money over buying from GIK. There were some very custom requirements I needed that I had to build myself, but if I could have used GIK's products, it would have been a better call.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…