Quantcast
Foam on top of traps! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Foam on top of traps!
Old 30th January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Question Foam on top of traps!

Hey everybody! I always wonder...We all know that a "regular" acoustic foam (auralex, sonex, sonique,...) are good for high and mid frequencies and that they let through all the bass frequencies. But would it be bad if I used them in front of a thicker trap made with mineral or rockwool for example instead of the cloth material everybody uses just to hide and keep the mineral/rockwool in place?!!?! I have a very thin acoustic foam and I've read about using them a little spaced out from the wall to get a better result, so the idea of filling this extra space with a bass trap "covered" with the foam came to mind. I know there must be a reason for me not finding pictures or data about this, but anyhow...I would appreciate knowing before I make my moves with the foam.
Thanks a lot!
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Sure you could do that.

Glenn
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I do that a lot! Most of the times just to make things better looking. The clients seem to like dark grey peaks...
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz ➑️
I do that a lot! Most of the times just to make things better looking. The clients seem to like dark grey peaks...
You should look into printing on the panel for your clients if your looking for something SUPER cool looking.

Glenn
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i'm on to my next phase of traps and was thinking of doing this too. i've got some sonex that is less great than auralex, so it's not doing much by itself. however, on top of a broadband absorber could be a different effect altogether! if you were doing 3-4" absorbers, where would these be best placed or utilized?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubivore ➑️
i'm on to my next phase of traps and was thinking of doing this too. i've got some sonex that is less great than auralex, so it's not doing much by itself. however, on top of a broadband absorber could be a different effect altogether! if you were doing 3-4" absorbers, where would these be best placed or utilized?
Go for the corners if wanting to bass trap. They also could be used for early reflection points.

Glenn
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
but depending on your room size, you may be better suited to use the foam seperately to get greater surface area of absorbtion. i may be wrong, but foam on top of rigid glass may be a drop in the bucket as opposed to foam next to ridgid glass.

2 cents
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Mantovani ➑️
Hey everybody! I always wonder...We all know that a "regular" acoustic foam (auralex, sonex, sonique,...) are good for high and mid frequencies and that they let through all the bass frequencies. But would it be bad if I used them in front of a thicker trap made with mineral or rockwool for example instead of the cloth material everybody uses just to hide and keep the mineral/rockwool in place?!!?! I have a very thin acoustic foam and I've read about using them a little spaced out from the wall to get a better result, so the idea of filling this extra space with a bass trap "covered" with the foam came to mind. I know there must be a reason for me not finding pictures or data about this, but anyhow...I would appreciate knowing before I make my moves with the foam.
Thanks a lot!
It would serve no purpose as the bass trap is already absorbing the higher frequencies as well. Basically it would be an expensive cover.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect ➑️
It would serve no purpose as the bass trap is already absorbing the higher frequencies as well. Basically it would be an expensive cover.
Yeah, I kind of agree. Though, like Glenn said, you could do it...it wouldn't *hurt* anything. It just wouldn't help all that much either.

Frank

Last edited by Weasel9992; 3rd February 2009 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: Edit
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I wouldn't glue the foam permanently! Because once the room is treated with bass traps, you start hearing all the small anoying reflections much better! That's the point where the foam comes in handy!
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

From this SOS article.

I think they look nice....I have some of the same Auralex panels that I picked up cheap some years ago. Now I know better, but they won't get wasted.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonsqueezer ➑️

From this SOS article.

I think they look nice....I have some of the same Auralex panels that I picked up cheap some years ago. Now I know better, but they won't get wasted.
Looks pretty nice to me.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…