The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ceiling - with or without?
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Addict

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Ceiling - with or without?

hi all

I'm just about to embark on a refit of my wee garage studio. At the moment, there is no ceiling - that is straight up to the sloping roof of the building, 2.8 metres at the eaves and some 4.3 metres at the apex. This space adds 23 cubic metres to the volume of the room, giving me about 64.5 cubic metres in total.

I like the feeling of space above my head, but wonder if there are any arguments for installing a ceiling instead, or whether a cloud array would be better?

Any thoughts appreciated

Cheers
Chris
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Lightbulb

A peaked ceiling is fine, and better than lower and flat. But be prepared to add absorption under the peak to avoid the focusing effect. Example photo below.

--Ethan

Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
I like the feeling of space above my head, but wonder if there are any arguments for installing a ceiling instead, or whether a cloud array would be better?
Just to add to Ethan's point. You still will want to build a cloud between you and the monitors. If the slope runs front to back it could help with those reflections but you also have the problem of the can slope coming back on you.

Glenn
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer โžก๏ธ
A peaked ceiling is fine, and better than lower and flat. But be prepared to add absorption under the peak to avoid the focusing effect. Example photo below.

--Ethan
Hi Ethan

Thanks.. I'll do that. the trusses are exposed so I'll have a slightly different layout but hopefully same effect :-)

Hi Glenn

You wrote: "If the slope runs front to back it could help with those reflections but you also have the problem of the can slope coming back on you".

Confused: What is the "can slope"?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Chris
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Glenn just meant that you don't want the ceiling sloping from high at the front to low behind you...that's bad. You'll want it sloping the other way...low in the front to high behind you.

Frank
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…