Quantcast
Glenn's custom panels - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Glenn's custom panels
Old 30th January 2009
  #1
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Glenn's custom panels

Hey guys,

So I am moving into my new place and wanted to custom build my own panels. This is something that would be pretty hard to DYI yourself, but it can be done. The printing is called dye sublimation printing which prints on the fibers which keeps the fabric opened celled (very important). These pictures kind of (no THEY DO) suck because of taking them with my cell phone, so I will try to get some better pictures once I get them hung. The quality of these are pretty much 100% of the picture I used.


Old 30th January 2009
  #2
Gear Addict
 
Lunatic's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Nice work, Glenn! I like the photo too. Would love to see some better pics, when you get the time.

Will you be offering this service through GIK?
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #3
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Will you be offering this service through GIK?
We are thinking about it, but not sure if it is just a COOL idea or a selling idea. Needless to say I will get a picture once it is hung.

Glenn
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #4
Gear Addict
 
Lunatic's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras ➑️
We are thinking about it, but not sure if it is just a COOL idea or a selling idea. Needless to say I will get a picture once it is hung.

Glenn
I could see putting a company logo on it and displaying that in the Contol Room or something but yeah... it may be more "cool" than a real "seller."

Still, nice work
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #5
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic ➑️
I could see putting a company logo on it and displaying that in the Contol Room or something but yeah... it may be more "cool" than a real "seller."

Still, nice work
I think the logo idea would be pretty cool and that is going to be the next one for myself.

I think this kid would say it all. heh

Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #6
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Yes they would

Those could be popular. There is the whole "spousal approval factor" , one reason I will be going with panels and not alot of foam.
Old 30th January 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 
geareyes's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Sweet as

Mike
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Mind-Over-Midi's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Love what you’ve done! It’s funny, I feel like you’ve been reading my mind. I was just going to email your company and ask if something like this could be done. My Mom is I graphic artist and I would like her to spruce up my acoustical panels with some custom artwork. I was going to ask if painting the panels would adversely interfere with the acoustical properties of the panels? I do think that artwork on panels could be a seller, for me there would need to be a way to get custom artwork, just don’t want to walk into every other bedroom studio and see the same art on panels as I have in my place.




Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #9
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
My Mom is I graphic artist and I would like her to spruce up my acoustical panels with some custom artwork. I was going to ask if painting the panels would adversely interfere with the acoustical properties of the panels?
Problem painting on the front would close in the fabric so it could/would hurt the absorption. Doing the dye printing only changes the color of the fabric and does not "fill in the holes" in the fabric. If you would like email me and I can quote you on it. Keep in mind we had to use the 242 Elite as wrapping it does not work very well. That is part of the BITCH with DYI. You have to upholster it to the frame.

BTW I was reading your mind. That is how I got the idea.

Glenn
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #10
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Glenn..........coolest........looking........panels.........ever........

It looks even better in the "Elite" wooden frames.

War
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #11
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead ➑️
Glenn..........coolest........looking........panels.........ever........

It looks even better in the "Elite" wooden frames.

War
I see a panel being made in the future. It would look like this.



Hell thinking about it I should make one for Jules that looks like this

Old 2nd February 2009
  #12
Lives for gear
 
badboymusic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Several companies have been doing this for a while such as http://www.audimutesoundproofing.com/
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #13
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Ok I got them hung!!!!!!!!!! All I can say is WOW



Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #14
Lives for gear
 
The Phoenix's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Looks Great Glenn!
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #15
Gear Head
 
Bob Ebeling's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Damn Glenn! Home Run! Quite a combo there.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #16
Lives for gear
 
darkwater's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
What timing!!! I'm waiting on the Guilford sample color book from you guys right now, and have been feeling like no matter what, I was going to be compromising my stellar faux finished paint job with these single color rectangles.

This could be the solution! Turn it into art! What does this cost to do, and what size digital image do you need to do the printing? Details, details!! Really great idea, and I like what you've chosen for yours.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #17
Lives for gear
 
seawell's Avatar
The panels look Awesome Glenn!
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #18
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater ➑️
What timing!!! I'm waiting on the Guilford sample color book from you guys right now, and have been feeling like no matter what, I was going to be compromising my stellar faux finished paint job with these single color rectangles.

This could be the solution! Turn it into art! What does this cost to do, and what size digital image do you need to do the printing? Details, details!! Really great idea, and I like what you've chosen for yours.
The price would be $285.00 per 24"X48" panel (GIK Elite Panel) with a custom art charge around $70.00. I think that would pretty much cover it.
For the file the bigger the file the better (EPS or PDF). The printer is pretty good with files so send me the best you can and lets see how the proof looks.

To the other guys thanks for your feed back.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #19
Gear Head
 
Paje's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Gorgeous! That should resolve any aesthetic/interior-design objections. Wife: "but they're ugly" me: "not these ones, it's ART!" heh
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #20
Lives for gear
 
darkwater's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras ➑️
The price would be $285.00 per 24"X48" panel (GIK Elite Panel) with a custom art charge around $70.00. I think that would pretty much cover it.
For the file the bigger the file the better (EPS or PDF). The printer is pretty good with files so send me the best you can and lets see how the proof looks.

To the other guys thanks for your feed back.
Totally reasonable. That will make all the difference. I'm so glad I saw this before I ordered!!!

Thanks!
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #21
Lives for gear
 
johndykstra's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
But my panels already have art on them, based on Rothko...heh
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #22
Gear Maniac
 
layez's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
well done man
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #23
Gear Addict
 
nicpope's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
They look great dude.

P.S. we're really digging the red ones you sold us about a month ago for our B-room. Immediately cleaned up the bass in there.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #24
Gear Head
 
Paje's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
btw - sideways oriented electrical outlets the norm there?
vs
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #25
80425
Guest
awesome I really dig these!
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #26
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras ➑️
The price would be $285.00 per 24"X48" panel (GIK Elite Panel) with a custom art charge around $70.00. I think that would pretty much cover it.
For the file the bigger the file the better (EPS or PDF). The printer is pretty good with files so send me the best you can and lets see how the proof looks.

To the other guys thanks for your feed back.
Glenn Your bad!!!! I'm loving it!! Why didn't you recommend me to get that done to my panels lol You guys would probably make a killing off of those!!!
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #27
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Robert Randolph's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
How high-res is the printing on these?

Do you think you could pull off a 'fake window' effect from about 15ft feet away?
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Weasel9992's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Man...Glenn always gets the cool stuff. You'd think he owns the joint or somethin'.

Frank
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #30
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel9992 ➑️
Man...Glenn always gets the cool stuff. You'd think he owns the joint or somethin'.

Frank
I don't get all the cool stuff.

Only "some" of it.

πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 60 views: 19388
Avatar for dibravibra
dibravibra 19th October 2020
replies: 6381 views: 809511
Avatar for Wilks832
Wilks832 1 week ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump