Glenn's custom panels - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Glenn's custom panels
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Glenn's custom panels

Hey guys,

So I am moving into my new place and wanted to custom build my own panels. This is something that would be pretty hard to DYI yourself, but it can be done. The printing is called dye sublimation printing which prints on the fibers which keeps the fabric opened celled (very important). These pictures kind of (no THEY DO) suck because of taking them with my cell phone, so I will try to get some better pictures once I get them hung. The quality of these are pretty much 100% of the picture I used.

Old 30th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Nice work, Glenn! I like the photo too. Would love to see some better pics, when you get the time.

Will you be offering this service through GIK?
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Will you be offering this service through GIK?
We are thinking about it, but not sure if it is just a COOL idea or a selling idea. Needless to say I will get a picture once it is hung.

Glenn
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras ➑️
We are thinking about it, but not sure if it is just a COOL idea or a selling idea. Needless to say I will get a picture once it is hung.

Glenn
I could see putting a company logo on it and displaying that in the Contol Room or something but yeah... it may be more "cool" than a real "seller."

Still, nice work
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic ➑️
I could see putting a company logo on it and displaying that in the Contol Room or something but yeah... it may be more "cool" than a real "seller."

Still, nice work
I think the logo idea would be pretty cool and that is going to be the next one for myself.

I think this kid would say it all. heh

Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Yes they would

Those could be popular. There is the whole "spousal approval factor" , one reason I will be going with panels and not alot of foam.
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sweet as

Mike
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Love what you’ve done! It’s funny, I feel like you’ve been reading my mind. I was just going to email your company and ask if something like this could be done. My Mom is I graphic artist and I would like her to spruce up my acoustical panels with some custom artwork. I was going to ask if painting the panels would adversely interfere with the acoustical properties of the panels? I do think that artwork on panels could be a seller, for me there would need to be a way to get custom artwork, just don’t want to walk into every other bedroom studio and see the same art on panels as I have in my place.

Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
My Mom is I graphic artist and I would like her to spruce up my acoustical panels with some custom artwork. I was going to ask if painting the panels would adversely interfere with the acoustical properties of the panels?
Problem painting on the front would close in the fabric so it could/would hurt the absorption. Doing the dye printing only changes the color of the fabric and does not "fill in the holes" in the fabric. If you would like email me and I can quote you on it. Keep in mind we had to use the 242 Elite as wrapping it does not work very well. That is part of the BITCH with DYI. You have to upholster it to the frame.

BTW I was reading your mind. That is how I got the idea.

Glenn
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Glenn..........coolest........looking........panels.........ever........

It looks even better in the "Elite" wooden frames.

War
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead ➑️
Glenn..........coolest........looking........panels.........ever........

It looks even better in the "Elite" wooden frames.

War
I see a panel being made in the future. It would look like this.

Hell thinking about it I should make one for Jules that looks like this

Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Several companies have been doing this for a while such as http://www.audimutesoundproofing.com/
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Ok I got them hung!!!!!!!!!! All I can say is WOW

Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Looks Great Glenn!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Damn Glenn! Home Run! Quite a combo there.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What timing!!! I'm waiting on the Guilford sample color book from you guys right now, and have been feeling like no matter what, I was going to be compromising my stellar faux finished paint job with these single color rectangles.

This could be the solution! Turn it into art! What does this cost to do, and what size digital image do you need to do the printing? Details, details!! Really great idea, and I like what you've chosen for yours.
Lives for gear

The panels look Awesome Glenn!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater ➑️
What timing!!! I'm waiting on the Guilford sample color book from you guys right now, and have been feeling like no matter what, I was going to be compromising my stellar faux finished paint job with these single color rectangles.

This could be the solution! Turn it into art! What does this cost to do, and what size digital image do you need to do the printing? Details, details!! Really great idea, and I like what you've chosen for yours.
The price would be $285.00 per 24"X48" panel (GIK Elite Panel) with a custom art charge around $70.00. I think that would pretty much cover it.
For the file the bigger the file the better (EPS or PDF). The printer is pretty good with files so send me the best you can and lets see how the proof looks.

To the other guys thanks for your feed back.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Gorgeous! That should resolve any aesthetic/interior-design objections. Wife: "but they're ugly" me: "not these ones, it's ART!" heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The price would be $285.00 per 24"X48" panel (GIK Elite Panel) with a custom art charge around $70.00. I think that would pretty much cover it.
For the file the bigger the file the better (EPS or PDF). The printer is pretty good with files so send me the best you can and lets see how the proof looks.

Totally reasonable. That will make all the difference. I'm so glad I saw this before I ordered!!!

Thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
But my panels already have art on them, based on Rothko...heh
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
well done man
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
They look great dude.

P.S. we're really digging the red ones you sold us about a month ago for our B-room. Immediately cleaned up the bass in there.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
btw - sideways oriented electrical outlets the norm there?
vs
awesome I really dig these!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Glenn Your bad!!!! I'm loving it!! Why didn't you recommend me to get that done to my panels lol You guys would probably make a killing off of those!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How high-res is the printing on these?

Do you think you could pull off a 'fake window' effect from about 15ft feet away?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Man...Glenn always gets the cool stuff. You'd think he owns the joint or somethin'.

Frank
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel9992 ➑️
Man...Glenn always gets the cool stuff. You'd think he owns the joint or somethin'.

Frank
I don't get all the cool stuff.

Only "some" of it.

πŸ“ Reply