Thanks Glenn. Now I feel better.

Frank
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph ➑️
How high-res is the printing on these?

Do you think you could pull off a 'fake window' effect from about 15ft feet away?
I have a call into the printer to find out. From the quality I have seen it is as good as any picture hanging on the wall.

I will be back with more info.

Glenn
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This is awesome, Glenn! I think that there will be a decent market for you with this kind of custom artwork available. It would be a great finishing touch for a pro room, and also (as others have noted) help ease things for guys battling their live-in interior decorator.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricF ➑️
This is awesome, Glenn! I think that there will be a decent market for you with this kind of custom artwork available. It would be a great finishing touch for a pro room, and also (as others have noted) help ease things for guys battling their live-in interior decorator.
You have all inspired me to add this to the line. I am getting with the printer now to see what it would take to do custom prints without any kind of art charge to the customer (how cool would that be?heh). I will report back once I know. BTW if Jay would like to move this thread now to the NEW RELEASE area I am fine with that. This thread is turning from a "Hey guys look what I did" to a "Hey guys we have something for the market" at lighting speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
this looks insane on the wall wow
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just a thought...
In addition to prople being able to send you their own art, you might want to offer some "stock" images for people to choose from.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Just a thought...
In addition to prople being able to send you their own art, you might want to offer some "stock" images for people to choose from.
I am sure we will have stock art, but the hard part is picking things that is liked by "most". I myself like the guitar picture but someone else might like a picture of what ever. Not so say it is not a good idea, but a hard one to fit everyone/most. I think if we can do it so there is no up charge for custom art (providing it is sent to us correctly) then that would be the ticket.
I am hammering that out with the printer now.

Glenn
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That looks great Glenn!!!

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras ➑️
I am sure we will have stock art, but the hard part is picking things that is liked by "most". I myself like the guitar picture but someone else might like a picture of what ever. Not so say it is not a good idea, but a hard one to fit everyone/most. I think if we can do it so there is no up charge for custom art (providing it is sent to us correctly) then that would be the ticket.
I am hammering that out with the printer now.

Glenn
So images of U87's and Avalon gear won't be advertized here then huh?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
This is cool, I was gonna ask about sublimation on some DIY bass traps I'm building as my friend did a bunch of sublimation for our production/DJ crew (banners etc) and it turned out really nice.

I might have to give this a shot - I just wish he still lived in town so I could get the free/at-cost sublimation hookup.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon The Gooch ➑️
This is cool, I was gonna ask about sublimation on some DIY bass traps I'm building as my friend did a bunch of sublimation for our production/DJ crew (banners etc) and it turned out really nice.

I might have to give this a shot - I just wish he still lived in town so I could get the free/at-cost sublimation hookup.
Let me give you a little advise on this. Not that you can not do it, BUT if have not worked with fabric in the past you may want to find a friend that was. I see a lot of DYI panels people have made that look "OK" but when you pay a lot for a print you don't want it to look "ok" but OUTSTANDING. There is nothing like paying a bunch of money for a print to only "F" it up at the end. Kind of like a 15 year old with zero recording skills recording with million dollar gear. I can bet you it will still sound like crap.

Just my .02 cents on it. Oh and NO I did not do the fabric work myself on those panels as it would have looked like CRAP! I had one of the guys in the shop do it for me.
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras ➑️

I say this as a satisfied GK customer: These panels are tacky, even kitschy. They belong in the "dogs playing poker" camp of art. (Which means they will probably be hugely popular here on gearslutz.)

One thing I've always liked about GK is the attention to aesthetics -- e.g., there are a wide variety of subtle colors you can chose from when selecting fabric for the panels (for a reasonable extra charge), and the panels themselves have a very unfussy, minimalistic appearance.

The above is a huge step backwards, aesthetically.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blim ➑️
I say this as a satisfied GK customer: These panels are tacky, even kitschy. They belong in the "dogs playing poker" camp of art. (Which means they will probably be hugely popular here on gearslutz.)

One thing I've always liked about GK is the attention to aesthetics -- e.g., there are a wide variety of subtle colors you can chose from when selecting fabric for the panels (for a reasonable extra charge), and the panels themselves have a very unfussy, minimalistic appearance.

I think it's a matter of opinion. If you don't dig it, you don't have to do it - it'll be an option, not a standard. I (like others here already) like the idea a lot.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I love it.

Did you end up staying in the Atlanta area?

Greg
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79_Limited ➑️
I love it.

Did you end up staying in the Atlanta area?

Greg
Oh yea I am still in Atlanta and the UK. My guys keep things going pretty well there in the UK, so only need to go there when need be. We are one big family (in a matter of speaking) so no need to micro manage them. thumbsup

Glenn
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Ok guys here is the guide lines to custom printing fabric.

Quote:
EPS*, PDF*, TIF, JPG are considered “print ready” files and require little, if any modifications in pre-flight before the file is printed.
Supplying “print ready” file formats will insure that your project will be printed the way it was intended on a normal-to-quick-turn-around basis.
* EPS and PDF files MUST have all text converted to outlines/curves. If converting text to outlines/curves
is not possible through your design software, you MUST supply all the printer fonts used in the design.

ADDITIONAL DESIGN GUIDELINES & NOTES
FOR YOUR “print ready” DESIGNS:

SIZE: the size of the design needs to be proportional to the final print size. It is always recommended to design your large format
files at a reduced scale of 1/20, 1/10, 1/8, 1/4, or 1/2. Designing at full size is okay but may result in a larger file which doesn’t
necessarily result in a better quality print… just more disk space.

RESOLUTION: resolution only pertains to placed images within a file’s design. Vector based art, can be enlarged to any size
without diminishing its final print quality. The resolution of any placed images within a design should fall within 85-150 dpi at final
print size. Posters and medium size prints that contain smaller text (below 24pts.) within a flat image file should be above the
150dpi range to insure legibility.

TIF: tif images the most compatible cross-platform “print ready” file type. As a tif file, the design software has already placed each
pixel in its appropriate location for the printer. A high resolution tif file is the failsafe way for supplying your documents to us to
print. Although quite large, they are to be considered as print ready as you can get. When saving a high resolution flat TIF file, do
not utilize LZW or similar compression. Both RGB or CMYK files are accepted.
Note that if you don't want to mess around with supplying a file you could pick from any of the stock photos here.
Stock Photography: Search Royalty Free Images & Photos
There are around $25 to $35 dollars for the art file.
Also if do want something custom but are unable to supply it to the specs above we can do the file work for $60.00

Just a FYI, the press that is being used for this stuff is called the Teleios d-gen. It is not your typical office printer but a $800,000 MONSTER!!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Guys,

Which picture do you like the best?? I LOVE teles and want one more panel in my new place.

I thought maybe making this one 2 pictures. May 17"x48" per panel

or this one as 2 2'x2' panels.

Glenn
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I only see three photos, I suspect there's supposed to be more. I like the top one...black and white. Little more abstract. And I agree tele's kick arse...way more so than PRS.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
I only see three photos, I suspect there's supposed to be more. I like the top one...black and white. Little more abstract. And I agree tele's kick arse...way more so than PRS.
damn I did not post it and now can't find the link. dumb glenn dumb glenn.

Yea I am not a PRS kind of guy. I like a guitar you can tie to the back of a touring van and drag to the next GIG!!

To me a PRS looks only good when it is BRAND NEW, while a tele is like wine, it gets better over time AND it is the battle axe. I have several teles and my favorite one is taped together with duck tape from throwing it on stage. The running joke is I will stop playing guitar when the guitar finally falls totally apart. 18 years and counting!!

Glenn
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
All of those are nice in their own way. For wall art, I'd probably go with #1.

Your love for Teles is equal to my love for the P bass - simple, bulletproof, and fantastic sound.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
All of those are nice in their own way. For wall art, I'd probably go with #1.

Your love for Teles is equal to my love for the P bass - simple, bulletproof, and fantastic sound.
Yea the more I look at them the more I think also 1 will work best. I wonder if I should break that into 2 panels or just one. heh I am like a kid in the candy store.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd do one panel, reorientated portrait with the guitar along the bottom, maybe in a color pic with a surf blue tele so it looks like a wave
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
I'd do one panel, reorientated portrait with the guitar along the bottom, maybe in a color pic with a surf blue tele so it looks like a wave
That would be kind of cool!!

I will let you all know what I come up with.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blim ➑️

I completely disagree.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So, Glenn, is this done by dying white GOM 701? All possible colors?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater ➑️
So, Glenn, is this done by dying white GOM 701? All possible colors?
Actually the fabric is a special open weave fabric that is smooth enough to print/dye on to. So no it can only be done in white. BUT the whole panel is able to print on so it can be any color you want.

Glenn
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Daamm,

That looks great...
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
that's one great idear.. I think this is gonna be a hit, when you think about it , you start wondering why that wasn't around before. Then again that's prove of a very good product.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by betserd ➑️
that's one great idear.. I think this is gonna be a hit, when you think about it , you start wondering why that wasn't around before. Then again that's prove of a very good product.
I am not the first to do it.

BTW just a update on MY ROOM.

I am going to get this one and make it into 2 panels (cut it in half to make them 16"x48"). The plan is to place one behind each monitor to help with SBIR. My new mixing room (the office next to mine) is pretty small so I know I will have problems from the front wall.

It will be a couple weeks but will post some pictures once it is done.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I've thought about doing this when getting a place with a proper living room, so that girls don't take offence of the 'ugly acoustic stuff'. I think this is really cool! And it looks great in the studio too of course.

Greg Wells started a thread recently with pictures of his new studio. He has these amazing pictures of a highway, giving a big sense of depth to the control room. It would be great to have these pictures on your panels.
Some nice landscape pictures will also be pretty, especially in a studio without windows.

Cool idea, I'll contact you when I have a proper place!
πŸ“ Reply