Quantcast
Rolling Gobos -DIY - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rolling Gobos -DIY
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Rolling Gobos -DIY

I'm on my way to buy knauf insulation panels from a nearby supplier. I am buying 12 panels in hopes of manking gobos.
My idea is to stack three panels on top of each other 2" thick or 4" thick, whatever you guys recommend???
And the other is has anyone made a rolling gobo here such as mine, just need some ideas on how to make this??
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i built my rolling gobos by building a box out of 1x6's (with 2x6 for a base)... one of them has:
2" insulation - air gap - plywood center - air gap - 2" insulation

the other has:
4" insulation - air gap - plywood

that way one has 2 absorptive sides, and the other has a reflective and an absorptive side... both block the sound from the other side...

the base has wheels on one side, and a block on the other, with a handle 3-4' up on the block side, so i can lift it a little and roll it around...

i used some spalted sassafras for the wood (looks sweet), but im sure anything could look great..

gl

Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Sounds great
What are the dimensions? 5-6' tall?
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i only built mine 4' tall for amp isolation primarily (though its large enough for drums, sax, etc...)

building over 6' you might want to consider a wider foot (block) to help with stability, mine are quite stable with a 5.5" wide foot at 4' tall

gl
Old 27th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
disjointed do u have any pics of this build? I am planning on going up to 6 feet
Old 27th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you want isolation, you will need more mass than just 703 insulation.
Insulation will absorb some energy and tame reflections, but its not massive enough for isolation.

Although its not rolling, and not quite the same application as your gobo, this was my gobo build. It is 6 feet tall (a little more). They are designed to be used a few at a time though.
My DIY Gobo
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…