Quantcast
703 particle tame - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
703 particle tame
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
703 particle tame

I have heard about spraying the front of the 703 with eithet hairspray or water with elmers glue in it to keep the fibers in place.These would be just for bass traping.

Do you know if this would cause reflections with something sprayed on the front, before you wrap them with burlap?

Is there a better alternative?Maybe a spray made for acoustics?
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you want that extra protection, wrap them in cotton batting first. You can find it at Joann Fabrics. Hairspray is very flammable, not recommended.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
The batting is the way to go, but just to point out, unless you BEAT on 703 no fibers will go into the air.

Glenn
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobass ➑️
We used the cotton material that you usually find on the bottom of a couch-a muslin material.

I have stopped using 703 because of the particle question, and am now only using the recycled cotton fabric.
So you cover 2 times. You put muslin on the front and back before you mount it in the frame and then wrap in burlap?

I have ultrtouch in my vox area.It amazing but I already bought the 703 so I have to use it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiroy ➑️
So you cover 2 times. You put muslin on the front and back before you mount it in the frame and then wrap in burlap?
FWIW, I make a frame of 1x2s, tack muslin on the frame to cover the back of the 703, then cover the top of the 703 and side of the frame with fabric. That way the 703 panels are only covered by one layer per side.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
We've been through this a bunch of times, but here's a couple of GS links that have a bunch of information about the misperceptions about 703/mineral wool.

rockwool
(post #22)

Or see this thread:
The Comparative Safety of Rockwool, Fiberglass, and Organic Fibers (a review)

Or see this thread:

Frank
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel9992 ➑️
We've been through this a bunch of times, but here's a couple of GS links that have a bunch of information about the misperceptions about 703/mineral wool.

rockwool
(post #22)

Or see this thread:

Or see this thread:

Frank

YEAH YEAh.I know but who cares if you spend an extra 5mins to be safe. What the hell do they know ,when in 10 years there like,oh my bad it causes cancer. Its 5mins.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiroy ➑️
,when in 10 years there like,oh my bad it causes cancer.
LOL LOL LOL
I am waiting for them to say that about cell phones.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
And weed.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
to the OP - not trying to hijack this thread but am facing a similar situation.

I am lucky to live 15 minutes from a distributor that carries both OC703 and IIG Rockwool (which is Roxul's competitor) and not really sure which to purchase. My main concern is health and acoustics - but apparently the only thing I need to worry about is a little dust. So I have two questions:

1: I see that I can eliminate the health worry by wrapping the sheet with cotton batter, but should I also use some muslin/burlap? I dont want a dead room.

2: Would you recommend the IIG RW or OC703 based on health and acoustics performance?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel9992 ➑️

rockwool
(post #22)

Or see this thread:

Or see this thread:

Frank
Take a look at those threads when you get some time. The point is, there is no health concern. To speak directly to your point, if you just cover the panels in an acoustically transparent fabric, that should take care of almost all of the potential fiber migration unless you beat on it with a tennis racket.

Frank
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
roger that Frank. That's pretty much what I got when I was reading the thread. I guess I just wasn't sure if I should use cotton batter and burlap. Judging from your post, that's overkill. Thanks for the response!

I guess now i will just stew over 703 or rockwool.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by layez ➑️
roger that Frank. That's pretty much what I got when I was reading the thread. I guess I just wasn't sure if I should use cotton batter and burlap. Judging from your post, that's overkill. Thanks for the response!

I guess now i will just stew over 703 or rockwool.
Just to point out, when BUILDING the panels is when you REALLY need to take care. The stuff will not kill you but you will be couching and itching pretty bad. To help wear hat, gloves, mask over your mouth, long shirt with pants, shoes and so on. After building be sure to shower. Not only to wash off the fiberglass, but all that work will make you stick like crap. heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras ➑️
Just to point out, when BUILDING the panels is when you REALLY need to take care. The stuff will not kill you but you will be couching and itching pretty bad. To help wear hat, gloves, mask over your mouth, long shirt with pants, shoes and so on. After building be sure to shower. Not only to wash off the fiberglass, but all that work will make you stick like crap. heh
It's true, the itchiness sucks. So does the stinkiness.

Frank
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So, does anybody know the size of rockwool particles in diameter,and for that matter diameter size of grain of wheat, for instance.
I am not happy with this "if you can blow air through it" principle,
because it only says that fabric is acoustically transparent,
but it doesnt say if it will let rockwool particles get through or not.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledecker ➑️
So, does anybody know the size of rockwool particles in diameter,and for that matter diameter size of grain of wheat, for instance.
I am not happy with this "if you can blow air through it" principle,
because it only says that fabric is acoustically transparent,
but it doesnt say if it will let rockwool particles get through or not.
If you BEAT on the panel something would come out. But I have about 20 panels in my mix room and have never seen dust from the mineral wool on my desk or any where else. Trust me if I took a air sample of my room the mineral wool would hardly so up. I would worry more about coconuts falling on my head when walking on the beach then I would about mineral wool getting into the air.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
If you BEAT on the panel something would come out. But I have about 20 panels in my mix room and have never seen dust from the mineral wool on my desk or any where else. Trust me if I took a air sample of my room the mineral wool would hardly so up. I would worry more about coconuts falling on my head when walking on the beach then I would about mineral wool getting into the air.

So, what you are saying is you dont know what the size of rockwool particle is?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
So, what you are saying is you dont know what the size of rockwool particle is?
I believe it is small then a bread basket, but larger then a cell.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I believe it is small then a bread basket, but larger then a cell.

Thats just what i was thinking too.heh
No, but seriously do you think that i am being too paranoid about this rockwool stuff?
Its just that i dont want my clients coughing and sneezing after session,
and i am prepared to do whatever it takes to completely remove any possibility of rockwool particles entering the room
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
No, but seriously do you think that i am being too paranoid about this rockwool stuff?
and i am prepared to do whatever it takes to completely remove any possibility of rockwool particles entering the room
I appreciate your concern for your clients, but in a world full of big deals, this ain't one of 'em. There's always that 1 in a 100,000 chance you'll have a client who's allergic, but they're far, far, far more likely to be allergic to all the normal dangerous stuff already in your room.

Frank
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Just to go one step further. With thousands of panels sold by us I have never had someone have a problem and like I said I have never seen mineral wool dust on my table.

Glenn
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
If it gives you peace of mind just wrap them in thick batting before your final covering. You'll sleep better and your traps will look good too!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
just wrap it with this white material and then put the fabric
Attached Thumbnails
703 particle tame-41164d1189888239tmybasste9.jpg   703 particle tame-pa020096sm8.jpg  
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
will the cotton batting alter the frequency response?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think that if air can pass thru there is no problem.

if not you may have some hi frequency reflections
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
does your trap in the picture have two 2" thick panels? If so, did you simply wrap the two panels together or did you staple them together or anything?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes ,2 x 2" .

I just put the rockwool into the frame and then wrap the entire frame with the white material.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have this stuff for my yard that you put over the dirt so that weeds cant grow through it,but it can be blown thru.But even if it can cause reflections would it matter if I put it behind my 2 2" layers?I was thinking about cutting a pice out to glue on the back, and cutting a piece of batting out to place on the front and then just wrapping the frame with burlap.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…