Quantcast
Hello all - please help me with my "you gots no choice" setup - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hello all - please help me with my "you gots no choice" setup
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hello all - please help me with my "you gots no choice" setup

So I have my setup in the living room for the forseeable future and want to make the best of what I have.

I'm doing most stuff with cans, but need to regularly reference through the speakers.

The room itself is a 4 metres x 2.5 ish long/rectangular L-shape with sea grass carpet tiles, moroccan cotton rug, and lots of large heavy cushions at "sofa height".

The sloped mansard roof/ceiling runs the entire length of 1 side, cut by 2 double-glazed sash windows. Walls are bare.

NB - My desk is at one end - I can't put my desk anywhere else due to the "ergonomics" of the room.

Rear-ported speakers are about 30cm from the wall. Angle is nowhere near "equilateral triangle" - The rear of the right speaker is pointing at a corner in the sloping Mansard roof.

The floor is more or less "floating", but very flexible undefoot.

I'm losing Bottom end at the listening position, but if I stand 2 metres further away I get a great balance - but i have short arms, and no iPhone/Pro Tools remote control

I also have some flutter echoes in the middle of the room, but very minimal at the desk. I do get a bit of reflection off the back wall, but I can record acoustic gtr and vox with a supercardioid 6 inches away no problem. I'm about to buy a reflexion filter.

Please would you advise what materials I need to put behind the speakers and desk to improve it?
Attached Thumbnails
Hello all - please help me with my "you gots no choice" setup-desk.jpg   Hello all - please help me with my "you gots no choice" setup-corner.jpg  
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Pretty much all you can do is straddle as many of those corners, up front, as much as possible. what is going on behind you?

Glenn
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi Glenn,

Directly behind is the back wall about 4 metres back - This is bare.

Left side - Bare wall - All the soft furnishing I mentioned is also to my left... There is a gap about 1.5m further down on the left (i.e where the L-shape bit starts)

Right side - A vertical double glazed sash window immediately to my right , and as mentioned the sloping ceiling continues with a break for another window.

So "straddling the corners up front" - is that with bass trapping or panels? And do you mean physically level with the front of the desk?

thanks
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 ➑️
So "straddling the corners up front" - is that with bass trapping or panels?
Bass traps. Not just the front, but as many corners as possible. Rear wall too. Straddling as in the photo below.

--Ethan

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Great - Thanks Ethan (I've been reading your acoustics page today)
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Directly behind is the back wall about 4 metres back - This is bare.
If you can put some THICK absorption on that back wall.

Quote:
Not just the front, but as many corners as possible.
My bad, thought he could not treat the back corners.

Glenn
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks Glenn - will it have to cover the entire wall or can I use a few thick acoustic tiles eg in horizontal strips?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks Glenn - will it have to cover the entire wall or can I use a few thick acoustic tiles eg in horizontal strips?
The more you cover the better the response, but start with 2 or 3 and see how it goes. You don't have to cover the whole wall for it to work well.

Glenn
Founder

Here is another example of strudelin the corner

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Hello all - please help me with my "you gots no choice" setup-strudel_01.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
oh dear NURSE!

(is that an apple mac strudel?)
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'm losing Bottom end at the listening position, but if I stand 2 metres further away I get a great balance - but i have short arms, and no iPhone/Pro Tools remote control
Any reason why you can't move the whole listening position back? I mean, 38% is the same from the front wall or the back...

Frank
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Frank - same old problem - it is a living space that I need to "blend into" (yeah right)

Forgive me but I'm new to all this - Is 38% along a room's length the ideal placement for the mix position?

EDIT - just did a search - reading up now
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Lightbulb

Quote:
Is 38% along a room's length the ideal placement for the mix position?
It's a great starting point anyway. More here:

How to set up a room

--Ethan
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Is 38% along a room's length the ideal placement for the mix position?

EDIT - just did a search - reading up now
It is a great place to start but you may find that moving forward or back will give you better results.

Glenn
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…