DIY Bass Trap Fabrics
Old 19th November 2007
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
DIY Bass Trap Fabrics

hi everyone,

i'm still trying to get fabrics sorted for my absorbers. i got samples of:

- burlap - gross looking, rough, cheap ($~3/yard), and readily available
- Guilford of Maine FR701 - probably ideal, nice fabric, most probably expensive, special order
- some sort of muslin or something from Joann's that is about $4/yard - nice, but tightest weave amongst the bunch

for cost, looks, and convenience i'd get the muslin, but i can't tell if the weave is too tight. i've attached pix to compare the weave of each. i couldn't get all three in the frame while zooming in that close. and the second pic is zoomed in a little more. i layed the fabric over a lamp shade so you could see the weave a little better.

pic 1 - FR701 vs JoAnn's
pic 2 - JoAnn's vs burlap

let me know what you think. maybe i'm being too paranoid
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Bass Trap Fabrics-fabric-gom-vs-joanns.jpg   DIY Bass Trap Fabrics-fabrics-joanns-vs-burlap.jpg  
Old 19th November 2007

🎧 15 years
When I did mine (for a home edit suite) I found some decent looking fabric at Jo-Ann Fabrics for $1.95 / yard. Pretty basic color selection but it looks nice. I was actually surprised on how quick all the yardage adds up.
Old 19th November 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
yeah, that's why i'm leaning towards the Joanns stuff, but i don't want the fabric to screw up the whole scientific purpose of the panels.

was the stuff you got like the burlap or more like the muslin?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Dude, you're like a paranoid android!

Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
[QUOTE][pic 1 - FR701 vs JoAnn's
/QUOTE]

I would go with the GOM stuff. We just added it to our line and not only is it Flame Rated but REALLY looks great on panels. Yes the stuff does cost more but is worth every penny IMO.

Glenn

🎧 15 years
The fabric I got is cheap non-acoustic rated fabric. The only test I did was have my fiancΓ© talk behind them and it didn't do a whole lot. If you do everything else right, I think the right fabric is going to make a difference. Unless your monitoring maybe an inch away from it
Old 22nd November 2007 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
I'm also interested in knowing if muslin would be a good substitute for burlap. I cannot find burlap where i live so if muslin will work for my rockwool panels i'll use it instead.

EDIT: I found a fabric that is kinda like the bandages you wrap around wounds. The weave is quite tight but air can easily pass through it. Its a bit delicate but supposing i double it & then wrap it around the rockwool, would it work?
Old 22nd November 2007 | Show parent
Deleted 56021e5
Any soft fabric will do where air can easily flow will do. Preferably a nice one and nonflammable hehheh
Old 23rd November 2007 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Sorry guys for hijacking this thread but i thought i'd ask here rather than start a new one.

My sister managed to find this fabric for me, its got quite a tight weave so i thought i'd ask you guys if this would be appropriate.

Here are pictures of it, i took one without the flash so that you can see the weave. The second one shows the color of the fabric. Thanks for the help!
Old 23rd November 2007 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by s-cube ➑️
Sorry guys for hijacking this thread but i thought i'd ask here rather than start a new one.

My sister managed to find this fabric for me, its got quite a tight weave so i thought i'd ask you guys if this would be appropriate.

Here are pictures of it, i took one without the flash so that you can see the weave. The second one shows the color of the fabric. Thanks for the help!
If you can blow through it then you should be fine.

Glenn
Old 24th November 2007 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
I just made bass traps covered with burlap from Joann fabric, and I've got GIK panels with the Guilford of Maine fabric. I did a good job with covering my OC panels with burlap, but man that Guilford of Maine fabric on the GIK panels is WAAAAAY nicer!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecorwin ➑️
I just made bass traps covered with burlap from Joann fabric, and I've got GIK panels with the Guilford of Maine fabric. I did a good job with covering my OC panels with burlap, but man that Guilford of Maine fabric on the GIK panels is WAAAAAY nicer!
Mike thanks for bringing that up. When we first looked at adding the Guilford of Maine my first thought was "They want how much for that fabric?", but like you pointed out, as soon as my guys brought me the first panel made I was flipping out how NICE it looked. I think our standard fabric looks 10 times nicer then burlap, but Guilford looks 10 nicer then our standard fabric so..................

Glenn
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by s-cube ➑️
i found several different fabric like this that i thought looked cool and was soft and breathable enough, but got too paranoid about it and made this thread. i've amassed about 10 or so samples of different stuff so far, including burlap, GOM, muslin, linen, etc.

i agree with glenn, the GOM is probably the best you could get both look, performance, and safety-wise. burlap is probably your bottom of the barrel choice. i think at this point i will go with the muslin or the linen. i found some linen that has a more open weave than muslin, but the fabric is much tighter, hence more reflective. also it was 10$/yard! (i still don't know how much GOM is/yard and am afraid to ask!)

i tried the breath-through test on all, and got about the same results. (blowing through = me having to put my lips on the fabric and blowing hard just to feel a puff on the other end.) when i got home i decided to play some music in my room and hold each fabric a few inches in front of my ears between the speakers and see how that affected the sound. pretty much all of them had very little transmission loss or effect on the sound. the only one that severely did some high-end cutting was the linen. this might make it good for the corner traps. however, i want to use the same fabric for all panels so i'm not sure where i'm going with this, maybe back to muslin.
Old 26th November 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hey DIY-ers - whats the issue with "non-breathable" fabrics?
Does it affect the bass absorbtion qualities or just cause more high / mid reflections?

I'm enhancing my control room acoustics (again) and a couple of years ago I covered my 4 inch thick corner panels with a gorgeous burgundy, patterened material. Quite regal looking, but it is really dense. I'll be building some new ones and might reevaulate whats already there.

I'm not concerened about the highs, since the whole front end is pretty dead. Should I consider trying something else?

how about velour? - its not "open" but seems pretty "loose"and I've got a few yards laying around...
Old 26th November 2007 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_free69 ➑️
Hey DIY-ers - whats the issue with "non-breathable" fabrics?
Does it affect the bass absorbtion qualities or just cause more high / mid reflections?

I'm enhancing my control room acoustics (again) and a couple of years ago I covered my 4 inch thick corner panels with a gorgeous burgundy, patterened material. Quite regal looking, but it is really dense. I'll be building some new ones and might reevaulate whats already there.

I'm not concerened about the highs, since the whole front end is pretty dead. Should I consider trying something else?

how about velour? - its not "open" but seems pretty "loose"and I've got a few yards laying around...
That is kind of one of those questions that is a unknown and if you are making them yourself it is best just to use a open celled fabric. Yes it could help by reflecting some of the highs but then I don't think I would use it for the back of the panel. It is best when doing a DYI project to keep it simple and only put fabric that is breathable on the panel.

Glenn
Old 27th January 2011 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
If i bought some cheap material (from second hand stores) to use on the back side of my Bass traps, which is not easily breathable trough.
What you think ?
Old 27th January 2011 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Micro-suede?
Old 28th January 2011 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
On the back of the basstraps? Like Glenn mentionned, if you can breathe through it without much resistance, its ideal!

Since this thread speaks wonders on the GOM Fabric, instead of making a new thread I will post here;

Guilford of Maine FR701 or Speaker Grill Fabric sold on ebay?

First and foremost, I do not care about fire ratings, I have two sprinklers in the room and insurance does not require my panel material to be flame ******ant.

I am looking at stylish look and pricing, thats it.

Here is the comparison, GOM goes for 17$ per yard form GIK (and I dont know if they ship to canada and how much that would cost for about 20 yards, Glenn?)

And Speaker Grill Fabric goes for about 12$ for a 60in. x 40in. piece shipped to Canada, and I am sure I will be able to bring the price down for about 20 of those.

Who has used speaker fabric, is it nice, is it durable, is it just as good as GOM and if not is there a deal somewhere for GOM shipped to canada because 17$ per yard is steep considering 36inches is not long enough for 6inch wide basstraps, I am going to have to use over 1 yard per bass trap.
Old 13th July 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresounds ➑️
Micro-suede?
I'm using micro-suede. Looks beautiful. Seems breathable-enough.
Got locally from Joanne's.

Craig
Old 13th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Burlap is no fun, and holds dust. Muslin is great, and at Walmart, 88 cents a yard. The high end answer is from Gilford and other architectural fabric sellers who make the fabric used in office cubbys and chairs.
Old 13th July 2012

🎧 10 years
I have two micro-suede panels, they look great. The Guilford panels of mine look fantastic too. I would buy Guilford again, even given the high price. It is expensive but its 66" wide meaning you only need one yard per 2x4 panel, whereas a 48" wide piece of burlap you'd need 1.5 yards per panel. Even 56" wide fabrics are risque for panels thicker than 2". The GOM is also fire rated, which is important to me (and should be to others, as well). If you use cheap fabric you can always get some flame re-tardant spray to coat them with.
Old 14th July 2012
NLP

🎧 15 years
... and protection from airborne loose fibres?!
Is GOM FR701 fabric enough?!
Some micro suede fabric can do the job.
Old 14th July 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLP ➑️
This is an oft-quoted 'problem' and if it exists there is a simple solution which we employed to build the traps for my studio. We attached the cloth to the fibreglas with spray glue.

If loose fibers are indeed a problem, wouldn't micro-suede be a contributing factor?
Old 14th July 2012
NLP

🎧 15 years
Well beware that spray glue not making an impermeable film.
Airborne micro particles from insulation are always undesirable, whatever type of insulation is (exclude open cell foam).
Some micro suedes are enough for protection.
For security reason if fabric is not good enough I use something like this, but winter/thicker option: Non-woven Polypropylene Fiber Plant Sleeves Plastic Sleeves Manufacturer & Importer From Usa - Adart Poly Bag ... air can freely go through and fabric is dense enough to prevent releaising micro particles into workspace and then wrap all in decorative fabric.
Old 14th July 2012

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Have you used the FR701? I feel its tight enough to keep fibers in.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Gearslutz App
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well beware that spray glue not making an impermeable film.
Airborne micro particles from insulation are always undesirable, .....
Why would you assume that, while completely gluing the fabric to the insulation, somehow fibers from the insulation are going to break free, penetrate the fabric, and become airborne?

Micro-particles of any sort are undesirable, but the fact remains that for untold number of years office workers have been working in cubbys made of insulation and fabric. Surrounded. Poking holes in them to hang pictures and memos. The best answer for you is that if you fear breathing fibers, you just shouldn't use fibrous room treatment. And watch out for that couch... the cushions may be foam but the batting is fiber.
NLP

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasmira ➑️
Have you used the FR701? I feel its tight enough to keep fibers in.
I dont use FR701, saw samples of that fabric and products which uses it, but dont know if do the job, just aksing. Probably have some organization or factory test it because many product use that fabric.
Mineral wool (probably) is not healthy.
Someone who have piece of that fabric could do quick dirty DIY test with vacuum cleaner, white tissue and mineral wool... vacuum cleaner can be adjusted on min.
NLP

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
Why would you assume that, while completely gluing the fabric to the insulation, somehow fibers from the insulation are going to break free, penetrate the fabric, and become airborne?

Micro-particles of any sort are undesirable, but the fact remains that for untold number of years office workers have been working in cubbys made of insulation and fabric. Surrounded. Poking holes in them to hang pictures and memos. The best answer for you is that if you fear breathing fibers, you just shouldn't use fibrous room treatment. And watch out for that couch... the cushions may be foam but the batting is fiber.
I think that (at least on first reflection points) is undesirable to make a coating or film with glue which can reflect some (probably higher) frequencies and I know that mineral wool have already small airborne particles and they are not cure for sure.

If office workers are not conscious that this is not ok, maybe to write in manual that this is not healthy or similar

When some factory use these materials, they must take a care that products are safe and write in instructions details.

Polyester and new type of "green" mineral wools (ecose etc.) are much safer, but does not harm to use appropriate fabric.
Old 15th July 2012

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I dont use FR701, saw samples of that fabric and products which uses it, but dont know if do the job, just aksing. Probably have some organization or factory test it because many product use that fabric.
Mineral wool (probably) is not healthy.
Someone who have piece of that fabric could do quick dirty DIY test with vacuum cleaner, white tissue and mineral wool... vacuum cleaner can be adjusted on min.
I would try this test but I feel that could pull dust through my panels in a circle from the vacuum. Don't really want to dirty my panels up!

Edit: actually I may have some scraps of mineral wool and FR701. I will try this if I remember. I like the idea of the test, but even then, particles aren't normally sucked through a vacuum through your fabric so I don't know if that test would be very valid.

Mineral wool does break off in small pieces so I can see it possibly happening, but I don't think fiberglass particles can or would break through GOM. The fabric isn't very loose at all.

Old 15th July 2012

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Polyester and new type of "green" mineral wools (ecose etc.) are much safer, but does not harm to use appropriate fabric.
Just to boot, Ecose technology is strictly in reference to the bonding agent. It is a formaldehyde free bonding agent. However the actual mineral wool or fiberglass is still the same, and suffers the same chance of escaping through fabric.

Polyester has the same chance of breaking off as fiberglass and introducing airborne particles and dust just like other products. Fiberglass has been proven to not be cancer causing as has mineral wool. The only problem is it being an irritant. Polyester insulation also is heat bonded so there's no chance of weird bonding agents being used, it is definitely the healthiest option, however it does not show as good of absorption coefficients.

As was suggested earlier, thin plastic is the best option for anyone concerned. For me personally, as long as I'm being safe while handling the absorbent (long shirt, gloves, mask, etc) I don't worry too much about after the panels are hung up. Of course this is a personal choice, and I understand why people are cautious, but from the studies I've seen there is nothing that suggests these materials are harmful.

πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…