Quantcast
Looking for some guidance / advice on what i could do in my studio - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for some guidance / advice on what i could do in my studio
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Looking for some guidance / advice on what i could do in my studio

Alright everyone,
I'm making this post just asking really for some guidance or any advice on anything i could do for my studio to make it sound.. well, less shit really

I always had my studio in a garage where i used to live and i created these foam boards, they weren't amazing but they were ok. I put them in the first reflection points, behind my listening position, above my listening position and also behind my monitors. The problem i'm facing now is the room i've had to move my studio into my spare room of my house and i really don't know what the best way would be to treat this (see images below)

https://i.ibb.co/NsBWJJX/IMG-7784.jpg

So the studio now is in the 'corner' of the room, in a sort of little alcove next to the boiler cupboard (probably gonna remove them doors and get some sort of sliding door(s) to make getting in and out of there easier)

https://i.ibb.co/Ln48thb/IMG-7786.jpg

This is the view from behind my listening position (just so you understand the sort of space i have behind myself) i was initially gonna have it by the window but;

a. as this is the spare room, that radiator is where we dry our clothes
b. the space itself is smaller than the space the studio currently occupies

The room has recently been plastered (hens the fact there isn't any skirting boards)

So yeah, absolutely any advice would be appreciated greatly, i've got a copy of Mixing secrets for the small studio and was reading about position of stuff in there but it doesn't really correlate to my situation (as in the book its either a square or a rectangular room).

Dimensions are as follows:
2.69m wall to wall room length
1.6m wall to back of chair length
2.2m "studio" width (outside of monitor to outside of monitor)

Thank you
Kev
Old 1 week ago
Deleted d8c817c
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWillow ➡️
Alright everyone,
I'm making this post just asking really for some guidance or any advice on anything i could do for my studio to make it sound.. well, less shit really

I always had my studio in a garage where i used to live and i created these foam boards, they weren't amazing but they were ok. I put them in the first reflection points, behind my listening position, above my listening position and also behind my monitors. The problem i'm facing now is the room i've had to move my studio into my spare room of my house and i really don't know what the best way would be to treat this (see images below)

https://i.ibb.co/NsBWJJX/IMG-7784.jpg

So the studio now is in the 'corner' of the room, in a sort of little alcove next to the boiler cupboard (probably gonna remove them doors and get some sort of sliding door(s) to make getting in and out of there easier)

https://i.ibb.co/Ln48thb/IMG-7786.jpg

This is the view from behind my listening position (just so you understand the sort of space i have behind myself) i was initially gonna have it by the window but;

b. the space itself is smaller than the space the studio currently occupies

The room has recently been plastered (hens the fact there isn't any skirting boards)

So yeah, absolutely any advice would be appreciated greatly, i've got a copy of Mixing secrets for the small studio and was reading about position of stuff in there but it doesn't really correlate to my situation (as in the book its either a square or a rectangular room).

Dimensions are as follows:
2.69m wall to wall room length
1.6m wall to back of chair length
2.2m "studio" width (outside of monitor to outside of monitor)

Thank you
Kev

I appreciate space must be in short supply for you but the first thing you need to fix is having your music gear in a high humidity environment. A condensing tumble dryer might be the easiest solution.

As for the monitoring, you haven’t really got the room to apply proper acoustic treatment with bass traps. My pro installed treatment has 7 inch deep flat panels and each corner of the room has a floor to ceiling bass traps that are just under 16 inches x 16 inches square. My treatment was up from the usual 5 inch to 7 inch because of the extended bass response of my 3 way monitors but still, it is a lot of space taken up. To get a pro in to measure your room and make the treatment is going to cost £3K+. IMHO off the shelf acoustic treatment is a false economy. Do it right or not at all. You are much better to dodge the bullet of decent monitors and acoustic treatment and buy and mix on decent headphones. I have AKG K702s and I know a pro audio engineer who teaches mixing who uses them because so few client home studios have proper acoustic treatment. The AKGs are open backed so will give the closest sound to monitors. There are also so excellent software options Such as Acustica Audio Sienna that will set you up with the best headphone experience possible.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera1to1 ➡️

I appreciate space must be in short supply for you but the first thing you need to fix is having your music gear in a high humidity environment. A condensing tumble dryer might be the easiest solution.

As for the monitoring, you haven’t really got the room to apply proper acoustic treatment with bass traps. My pro installed treatment has 7 inch deep flat panels and each corner of the room has a floor to ceiling bass traps that are just under 16 inches x 16 inches square. My treatment was up from the usual 5 inch to 7 inch because of the extended bass response of my 3 way monitors but still, it is a lot of space taken up. To get a pro in to measure your room and make the treatment is going to cost £3K+. IMHO off the shelf acoustic treatment is a false economy. Do it right or not at all. You are much better to dodge the bullet of decent monitors and acoustic treatment and buy and mix on decent headphones. I have AKG K702s and I know a pro audio engineer who teaches mixing who uses them because so few client home studios have proper acoustic treatment. The AKGs are open backed so will give the closest sound to monitors. There are also so excellent software options Such as Acustica Audio Sienna that will set you up with the best headphone experience possible.
Thanks for getting back to me here with some advice. We live in a small house so tumble dryer is out of the question (i do keep the window open 90% of the time though to aid with the humidity.

I understand that i don't have the room for proper stuff but i just want to apply something here, even if it makes a little bit of a difference. I already have a pair of DT 770's that i use quite regularly and i've ordered a copy of Sonarworks Reference to see if this will help with the room.

I get that due to the room being the way it is i'm not gonna get an amazing room (and it will probably still sound awful) but anything will be an improvement.

i don't know if this is a good idea or not but behind me (and sort of around my listening postition) i was planning on building a sort of U shape using grid legs and pieces of MDF and applying foam to these, i know you said foam is a false ecomnomy but in my previous room, it seemed to improve the room a little bit, so my plan is to try and try and sort of build a bit of a room in a room (well walls in a room really as it would only be surrounding where i'm sitting if that makes sense)

Do you think this is a good idea or again is it just wasted tie and energy?
Should i just wait until this Sonarworks comes and see if it had any sort fo improvement on the room?

Apologies for all the questions

Cheers
📝 Reply