Quantcast
Avoiding irritants from rock wool - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Avoiding irritants from rock wool
Old 18th September 2021
Avoiding irritants from rock wool

I'm considering some home made panels and bass traps using rock wool insulation. If I cover with tight weave burlap, will that be sufficient to keep me from getting overwhelmed with particles or fibers or anything coming off of the insulation? I'm particularly concerned if I make a cloud for over the drum set.
Old 18th September 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Buy some thin polyester wadding from a fabric shop and put under the fabric is the usual recommendation.
Old 25th October 2021
Here for the gear

Any thoughts if using loosely applied cling wrap would work or does the insulation need actual airflow to attenuate sound?

I'm thinking anything that is attenuated by the plastic wrap would already have been attenuated by the fabric so it might work if airflow is not needed. I understand keeping it from compressing the insulation would be an important detail.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotj7 ➡️
Any thoughts if using loosely applied cling wrap would work or does the insulation need actual airflow to attenuate sound?

I'm thinking anything that is attenuated by the plastic wrap would already have been attenuated by the fabric so it might work if airflow is not needed. I understand keeping it from compressing the insulation would be an important detail.
Airflow is what makes the whole thing work, so... no.

For the OP - I've built several spaces using burlap/jute/hessian (depending on where you are) over Rockwool panels and corner traps. Other than whatever you deal with while cutting and installing, I've had zero problems once installed.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Anyone used this stuff before? Really great to work with, no itchy business at all.

https://www.thermafleece.com/product...eece-natrahemp
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…