Quantcast
Free standing acoustic panel advice - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Free standing acoustic panel advice
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Free standing acoustic panel advice

I have a bunch of denim insulation and I'm considering making some free standing acoustic panels. The idea would be to get an air gap behind them (between them and the wall) without having to fabricate a standoff setup, or drill holes in my sound isolated room.

I'm thinking about simple 1x4 construction with burlap or something as a cover. Then some small feet to keep it stable and allow it to sit 2-4" from the wall. I may need to build in some sort of scheme to keep the insulation from settling too much.

Just looking for opinions or potential gotchas with this plan from an acoustical perspective.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

The denim stuff does seem to work better at smaller depths, so 4 inches thick is probably good. I personally love having a few floorstanding panels around.

You could build little "shelves" inside the panel by just stapling 4 inch wide strips of fabric across the inside of the panel. This should help keep it from sagging too much. Then on the outside you probably want to get your covering fabric pretty taut so as to avoid unsightly bulging.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…