The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cats and Fiberglass or Roxul Gobos
Old 8th April 2021
Cats and Fiberglass or Roxul Gobos

I plan on getting a cat (my old one died), and I'm worried they might scratch into fiberglass or roxul gobos and get toxic material on their paws or release it into the air. For example, would this be a concern with GIK? They use fiberglass. Would "eco cellulose" or other supposedly non-toxic materials with good broadband absorption be safer?

Also what if the cat manages to knock it down? Is there a significant risk of fiberglass particles or roxul being released into the air?
Old 4 weeks ago
According to a dealer: "No Fiberglass articles will be expelled on a small fall. Your cat can claw thru the fabric and into the fiberglass."

Not sure if Acoustimac "eco core" is safe for cats and won't cause any dust pollution if they scratch through it... maybe putting thick foam over it would keep their claws from getting through it to the insulation?... but then it would absorb more high frequencies, causing more of an imbalance... unless I use LENRD foam. But in that case maybe I should just stick to LENRD for anything the cat might be able to get at.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Even if you find a non-toxic solution, do you really want scratch marks all over?

If you're willing to modify, or DIY, I'm sure you could find a heavy metal mesh/screen that would deter a cat from wanting to scratch, and be acoustically transparent. Though I've found that light metal screens do not seem to deter them...
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sauce ➡️
Even if you find a non-toxic solution, do you really want scratch marks all over?
Might as well match the rest of the furniture....
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…