Quantcast
Advice for wood framed acoustic panels - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice for wood framed acoustic panels
Old 28th March 2021
Advice for wood framed acoustic panels

Hi there,

I will be moving house shortly and I wanted to build some acoustic panels when I move in to my new studio room. I really liked the look of acoustic panels that have a wood frame around the fabric wrapped, acoustic slabs such as these examples:

I have wood-working skills and tools to biscuit frames together quickly. I was wondering if these examples had interior frames from ply or something, then fabric wrapped and inserted and fixed to the main exterior frames?

I was planning on doing the frames in oak, inner frame in a thin birch ply with french cleat fixings on a rear bar for air-gap installation on the walls.

Any one else built ones like these and can offer some advice or examples of how you got a good result?

I'm hoping to then apply that methodology to some bass trap designs once I'm in the space and know exact dimensions.

Thanks!
Old 29th March 2021
Gear Addict

Not sure how those are made but I've done what you said - simple frame inside with framing lumber, staple fabric, then just cover the edges with something really thin like luan plywood ripped into strips the right size.
Old 30th March 2021
Gear Maniac

If you want this look, I'd suggest building the basic outer frame and apply finish first. Then build a frame sized to just fit inside with the fabric attached to some 3/4x3/4 with maybe a brace across the middle. Mount cleats inside the frame to screw the framed fabric in. Stretch and staple your fabric to the frame and attach. Load the insulation from the back. A 4 inch or so brace across top and bottom back to screw some Z-clips to and a couple side cleats to staple some back fabric to hold the insulation in place.
Old 30th March 2021 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorNoteStudio ➡️
If you want this look, I'd suggest building the basic outer frame and apply finish first. Then build a frame sized to just fit inside with the fabric attached to some 3/4x3/4 with maybe a brace across the middle. Mount cleats inside the frame to screw the framed fabric in. Stretch and staple your fabric to the frame and attach. Load the insulation from the back. A 4 inch or so brace across top and bottom back to screw some Z-clips to and a couple side cleats to staple some back fabric to hold the insulation in place.
Awesome! that's really helpful.

Incidentally, from a Google search about Camira fabric on this forum, I found a photo diary in the bass trap building thread that show's how it can be done pretty much as you suggest.

Here is the link for reference: How I built my bass traps...
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…