Quantcast
Corner bass traps OC705/707 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Corner bass traps OC705/707
Old 9th April 2018
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Corner bass traps OC705/707

I know this specific information must be here, but damn if I can find it.

Most of the advice is centered around cost which is much appreciated.
But my situation is sort of backwards on the cost scale.
I already have lots of very large panels of what I believe is OC 705 and/or 707, 1.5 and 2 inches thick, pulled from commercial sites.

I have some very strong room modes, one of the strongest being around 32hz and multiples (96hz especially). I have built one triangle superchunk corner (42" on the face) and am going to do some other ones and my question is whether this material in this format works better for this (considering I already have it and cost is not a factor) or if I would be better off buying some less dense material.

Cutting up the triangles is not fun, but I need to do whatever is going to be the most effective here. I don't want to waste my time though if cheap insulation will work better.
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo_x ➡️
I know this specific information must be here, but damn if I can find it.

Most of the advice is centered around cost which is much appreciated.
But my situation is sort of backwards on the cost scale.
I already have lots of very large panels of what I believe is OC 705 and/or 707, 1.5 and 2 inches thick, pulled from commercial sites.

I have some very strong room modes, one of the strongest being around 32hz and multiples (96hz especially). I have built one triangle superchunk corner (42" on the face) and am going to do some other ones and my question is whether this material in this format works better for this (considering I already have it and cost is not a factor) or if I would be better off buying some less dense material.

Cutting up the triangles is not fun, but I need to do whatever is going to be the most effective here. I don't want to waste my time though if cheap insulation will work better.
The answer to your questions depends on room size, shape and location of speakers and verification that the frequency issues are truly modes based on dimensions or something else in the testing. Have you already acounted for SBIR? Speakers location from front wall? Please provide dimensions and a drawing or photos of room and I'll do my best to help. How are your measurimg for room modes (e.g. REW and a calibrated omni mic)?

Generally speaking, 705 is used for broad absorption unless built into a pressure based absorber which may be a tuned trap. You dont see it used much for Superchunk style corner absorbers cut into horizontally laid triangles. A less dense fluffy fiberglass or rockwool has good characteristics in that application.
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thanks, I'm going to have to take a short break from the room though and get back to it later.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…