Quantcast
Confused about New Pro Tools Licensing.. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Confused about New Pro Tools Licensing..
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Confused about New Pro Tools Licensing..

Before one year I bought Pro Tools 11 (non HD).
To get free the version 12 when will come out, I need to buy now, before December 15, the upgrade plan of $199?
If I don't do, then I'll have to pay again the whole price to buy Pro Tools 12?
Help please!
Old 5th December 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas ➑️
To get free the version 12 when will come out, I need to buy now, before December 15, the upgrade plan of $199?
Help please!
There will no longer be versions of PT, like PT12, PT13 and so on.

To continue to receive any new features you have to pay 199 every year of your protools life.

If you fail to pay, your stuck where you are at that point. If you lapse and the. Later want to catch up, you have to buy a new protools liscense
See all over again, which then, it's likely to go back to 699 not 199.

My recommendation today, would be to abandon ProTools completely! Six months ago, I would've never made a statement like that! Actually, I would be doing everything I could to recommend ProTools.

Avid's new policy, frankly, it's a major slap in the face for all of us long harm ProTools users.
Old 5th December 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns ➑️

To continue to receive any new features you have to pay 199 every year of your protools life.

If you fail to pay, your stuck where you are at that point. If you lapse and the. Later want to catch up, you have to buy a new protools liscense

My recommendation today, would be to abandon ProTools completely! Six months ago, I would've never made a statement like that! Actually, I would be doing everything I could to recommend ProTools.

Avid's new policy, frankly, it's a major slap in the face for all of us long harm ProTools users.
Aaaheemm... did i miss something here (obviously)?

I don't read any Avid blogs or news, can somebody point me to an official announcement? Didn't see anything about that on the Avid site just now.

If that's true it's just a shame how avid treats people buying their products. Not because 200 bucks a year is too expensive for people using their program for professional reasons (it is too much for hobbyists) as i do, but hell, they didn't even shoot me an e-mail about that.
I'm using Pro Tools since version 6 and really liked it - i still like it. I was already really annoyed by all of that 'Avid Everywhere' - crap. Why can't they just focus on writing good software instead of managing my life - i want to do that myself.
Oh my god, i better stop here and use my energy for looking for a usable alternative...

Maybe i'm just from yesterday, but i wish Digidesign would have been bought by Ohmforce... they were wise not to port their respected plugins to AAX but put their energy into their own software - although it's not for me unfortunately. But at least they have some kind of spirit and aren't only working for shareholders.

Good night AVID.

edit: that's a spontaneous rant - maybe i should reflect a little more about that. But i definatley don't like the direction they're taking. Their homepage looks like they put a lot more energy into the look and presenting themselves than into their products. In my opinion their money should go to developers instead of managers - but they're not a lot worse than most mainstream enterprises.
Anyway, i'm working with artists - most of them pretty much detest that kind of attitude as much as i do. I guess i'm not mainstream enough and just left behind... to find another way!
Old 6th December 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm on ProTools HD, so for me it's 699 bucks a year!

Everything you need to know about the new plan, you can find the link I've copied below.

New Licensing - Avid Pro Audio Community
Old 6th December 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm on ProTools HD, so for me it's 699 bucks a year!

Everything you need to know about the new plan, you can find the link I've copied below.

New Licensing - Avid Pro Audio Community
I see, 699.- would possibly make me include the cost into the equation as well.

Thank you for the link! - that's a tough read...
Old 6th December 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Help please!
There seems to be the answer to the initial question (Avid's FAQ-Section from barryjohns's link):

UPGRADES FROM PRO TOOLS 11 and PRO TOOLS HD 11

Q: I already own Pro Tools 11 or Pro Tools HD 11. How do I get access to upcoming product features and updates?
A: Moving forward, access to upgrades will only be available through an upgrade/support plan. Existing Pro Tools 11 customers can take advantage of this at the time of the next upgrade release (any time by the end of 2015). The upgrade/support plan for v11 owners will be available soon, and the cost of this 1-year plan will be $199 for Pro Tools | software owners, and $599 for Pro Tools | HD Software owners.
Old 6th December 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Now I get into it.
From what I understand I have to wait the upgrade / support plan at the time of the next upgrade release, so I don't have to spend now that money (as I'm not interesting only for the support).
Thanks guys!
Old 26th December 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Would it offer "something" big for that price? Are there any news on what may happen other than bug fixes and the support?

On the PC, should one opt rather for Cubase?
Old 27th December 2014
cut
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
599 a month - Is that really a back breaker?

I mean to read about all the bellyaching over 600/year is tiring. That is 50/month. If you run a business and can't spring for that maybe you need to readjust your annual budget. All the pro platforms are moving this way - and Waves went this way a couple years ago with their WUP. I do recall a bit of frustration with it then, but people got over that pretty quickly and seem to be back to happy Waves users again. Pro Tools is the most widely used DAW in the professional audio post field, along with music production, and is gaining a foothold in live sound with the Venue line of products. I am not an Avid flag waver, I have my issues with them for sure, but have developed contacts both with the people who equip my room as well as at Avid itself. I am a happy PT 11 user and am fine with 599/year - as long as they continue to provide return on that in the form of a stable, and more and more rich working platform with which to satisfy my clients and earn a living.

As I always say - it is a freaking hammer - a tool. We make sound investments for our businesses bases on our business needs. Buy the right hammer - don't buy a pile driver to drive home a finishing nail.
Old 27th December 2014
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
Something lots of people seem to be missing is that HD users will be getting unlimited 24x7 telephone support as part of the $599 a year contract. My friends who work where those contracts have been in use speak very highly of the support expertise and quality.
Old 27th December 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➑️
Something lots of people seem to be missing is that HD users will be getting unlimited 24x7 telephone support as part of the $599 a year contract. My friends who work where those contracts have been in use speak very highly of the support expertise and quality.
Just because support is good, doesn't mean that everyone needs it.

According to Have You Used Avid Support? about 81% of PT users never use Avid Support and 57% of those who have were unsatisfied.

Forcing support on people is obviously NOT the correct plan for Avid.
Old 27th December 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou latch ➑️
I see, 699.- would possibly make me include the cost into the equation as well.

Thank you for the link! - that's a tough read...
I read through all those links, it's amazingly legal worded. No where does it specifically state anything about existing hd 11 users, just implies they get hit in the future. Also not obvious that existing hd11 users get upgrades that are required when Mac upgrades their system(which seems like every other month).

I am going to stick with hd 11 for a few years and not do this nonsense, unless they do something for existing hd users. Heck, I still don't have all my plugins moved to 11, and this yearly subscription model that all these companies are pushing is not working for me financially.
Old 29th December 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
As I understand there will be new versions coming, but you will have to be on the upgrade plan to be eligible to receive these up"grades". Deadline for Pro Tools 11 owners will be by the end of 2015, which means they'll probably realease Pro Tools 12 by then, and if you don't jump on the plan, there is no way of getting an upgrade anymore you will have to re-buy the license.

.dot updates are not affected by the up"grade" plan, you'll receive them for any version license you bought, as long as the version receives updates. Avid says so.

WUP is different in that it is an up"date" plan: So when you'll buy a new Waves product you'll get 12 months of updates for free, after that you'll have to pay for even simple .dot updates. But you are never kicked out like with Avid. You can always get WUP even after years.

Hope I got this right...
Old 29th December 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Help please!
I thought it was okay to buy b4 Dec 31st.
As long as you activate b4 Dec 31st
Maybe i,m wrong here but if it states that purchase must be made b4 Dec 15, then it must be so but i,m not sure why they put Dec 15th as a cut off for purchase.
Old 29th December 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My personal advice to anyone is to abandon Protools, forget that it ever existed.
Old 30th December 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If you don't want the new features don't upgrade. Pro tools 11 is perfectly fine. I don't see a need to upgrade for a while.
Old 30th December 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
The gamble is weather or not the new license will cost more than the amount you would spend on the upgrade plan in the meantime. It'll take a few years of not upgrading Native to make buying a new license worth it.
Old 30th December 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Help please!
Currently, there is no option to purchase an annual upgrade and support plan if you're already on Pro Tools 11.

See the following link. It states 'Coming Soon'.

Avid | Pro Tools | Software Licensing
Old 30th December 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
This software rental model is paralleled in many industries, and a train wreck is on the horizon... Like TV? Get a subscription. Like music? Get a subscription. Use software tools? Get a subscription. This model is great for companies like Avid who make the platform, but terrible for plug-makers and end users, not to mention the economy at large.

We've been down this road at least 3 times in the past 100 years. The outcome is the same every time: once people pre-spend all their disposable income, and become effectively indentured wage slaves to contract vendors to whom they have commitments to spend, they chafe and ultimately rebel. A wave of upside down customers halt paying the piper, and the whole thing comes to tears. We've seen it with revolving credit in stores, credit cards, used car loans, home equity loans, and many other games played by retailers to sell goods they've not yet made. And who can blame them? It all looks great on paper... if every music fan paid $10 the industry would boom! But they can't and won't, at least not for a long time, no matter how good the deal is. And if they did, we'd find ourselves in competition with bike makers, restaurants, and breweries (all of whom are moving this way). It's just not a sustainable model, however attractive and appealing it may seem to manufacturers. Still... if you're going to go that route, a platform like PT would be where you'd subscribe rather than for the plugins (whose makers are also licking their chops to make you subscribe -- I'm looking at you Waves!).
Old 31st December 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oracle ➑️
Currently, there is no option to purchase an annual upgrade and support plan if you're already on Pro Tools 11.

See the following link. It states 'Coming Soon'.

Avid | Pro Tools | Software Licensing
Yeah, as they are talking about new licensing models I don't think we have seen the whole idea yet. But I do think, looking at their new webpage and the idea behind it, it seems very much like some Vodafone/Verizon type of contract sh*t. Where you'll be out of the boat quickly if you don't pay on time within a given deadline. It's that contemporary American "Harvard Business School meets Sillicon Valley" approach, 360Β° deals and all that crap.
I mean look at Native Instruments: U can still upgrade or crossgrade from their version 1 Software (like from the 90s) to current products. RME have just released new drivers for all their products (like back to the 90s). This is ol skool European gentleman behaviour. Apple, Avid, Adobe, Waves: Dark side of morale.
Old 1st January 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Hmm, this seems troubling. I'd like to think that the only difference is that a "support plan" just automatically upgrades your software version while not having it would simply mean that you'd have to buy the upgrade by itself. But all I've gotten was that if you don't abide by some subscription cost that the moment it gets out dated requires a "flexible license". What exactly is a flexible license anyway? If it is indeed renting the software then forget it lol. But I seem to be missing something. I don't know what a flexible license means. Is it just the standard upgrade without a support plan or whatever? Really confused here.
Old 3rd January 2015
RTR
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
it still says "coming soon" for those of us that already have PT 11 and 11 HD...this is crazy...I just bought PT 11 a few months ago..now another 199? ughhh think I will give Logic a try. I hate learning new DAWs, thats why I have always gone back to PT, but this is crazy!
Old 6th January 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
As a Grey Market HD user this concerns me a bit. Although I'm in the process of buying used Avid hardware bit by bit (it won't be registered) I worry that if I don't sign up for this support plan and let it lapse I may get locked out in the future...
Old 6th January 2015
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
Grey market anything always carries a risk.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCat ➑️
As a Grey Market HD user this concerns me a bit. Although I'm in the process of buying used Avid hardware bit by bit (it won't be registered) I worry that if I don't sign up for this support plan and let it lapse I may get locked out in the future...
Yep, if you are already on PTHD 10/11 you are ok until the end of next year, if not, well you are not in a good spot already.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
[QUOTE=Bob Olhsson;10696859]Grey market anything always carries a risk.[/QUOTE

Probability is key, when liking at it that way, consider the risk extraordinarily high!
πŸ“ Reply