Quantcast
Avid Pro Tools HDX 16x16 System - Where do I put in my cables?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Avid Pro Tools HDX 16x16 System - Where do I put in my cables??
Old 7th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Avid Pro Tools HDX 16x16 System - Where do I put in my cables??

Hi,

I am sorry guys, that this might be a noob question, but for many years I dont understand this interfaces with this AES and DS25 stuff. I am seriously considering going the next step and getting an Avid Pro Tools HDX 16x16 System to get more power and inputs (been using PT since 2007, currently on PT Native 10 with MBOX 3 Pro), but I never understood, where to put my 16 XLR or Jack cables. Do I need another device for that and if yes, what kind of devices are there??

And a second question: Do I get it right, that the "up to 256 audio tracks" will run on this accelaration card, so I dont have to bother too much with HDD, RAM and CPU? I am on a windows system, I d invest into a nicer computer than too, but I wanna stay at windows.

I appreciate any help and thank you guys in advance!
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The analog format on these is called DB25. It's basically like 8 tiny female XLR inputs scrunched together. The ones marked analog are for analog, and the ones for digital are marked AES or TDIF.

Sounds like you would mainly be dealing with analog. What you would need is a DB25 to XLR cable. It's DB25 on one end, which breaks out to 16 individual cables that are XLR, either male or female, depending on what you need. Those individual XLR cables would plug into your preamps or other analog units.

Here are some options at various prices. To use this chart, click Step 1 - Snake, Step 2 - DB25, and Step 3 - Male XLR or Female XLR:

Cable Finder | Sweetwater.com
Old 7th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Wow thank you! So its just breakout cables? I was thinking the same, but I can tell you for YEARS I never saw any product picture or descriptions like that :D Already felt like a conspiracy, lol.

Any information on what exactly the acceleration will do?
Old 11th March 2014 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoretimeProd ➡️
Any information on what exactly the acceleration will do?
It runs plugins and the mixer.

Look at Avid | Home for comparison between the 2 systems.

You still need HDD space (to store the audio) RAM (to run the system, load samples and also to use the RAMCache streaming which speeds things up) and the fastest CPU you can get (most VIs are still native, and you will want to run some native plugins).
📝 Reply