Quantcast
Pro Tools 11HD on MBPr and Thunderbolt Display !STRANGE BEHAVIOR! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pro Tools 11HD on MBPr and Thunderbolt Display !STRANGE BEHAVIOR!
Old 3rd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Pro Tools 11HD on MBPr and Thunderbolt Display !STRANGE BEHAVIOR!

Hi folks,

I've recently encountered a very strange problem with my MBPr (early 2013), HD native thunderbolt system and an Apple thunderbolt display.
Here's the thing:

My setup consists of a Macbook Pro retina (early 2013) with 2.8Ghz i7 and 16GB RAM plus PT HD native system + an OMNI.
Currently I'm running 11.1.2 on Mac OSX Mavericks 10.9.2 (thought that could solve the problem...)

I ran into the situation recording 8 additonal tracks (plus EQ and compression) on a relatively heavy session (80+ tracks, various plugins) a couple of weeks ago.
Because tracking 8 Vocalists the session's got to be with 32 samples (@ 48kHz) (quite latency-sensitive singers)!
No wonders, there came up several "CPU-background-process-problem"-errors and it was impossible recording them.

After getting the things done with 64 samples and 95% CPU load with some 100%-peaks (without causing errors)... I prayed the whole 3:40 ;-) being honest, I've wondered a bit how this could happen on a maxed-out Macbook pro retina with an HD native system (no comparison to HDX but I thought nearly equally to good old TDM).

Back home and some days later I've tested the same session...... no problems at all!! 32 samples, 48khz!!! I've tried to break it adding 8 DVerbs on each recording track! the CPU-Needle just stayed at around 32%-35% with a max of 53%-56%....still enough headroom...

The only difference was: I've hooked up my thunderbolt display!

Removing it: CPU dances at around 55% up until 100%!!

I'm completely clueless how this could be!! No significant activity monitor changes!
Any thoughts? Maybe a graphic-card issue?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Steve
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Is the Thunderbolt display powered? Are you running the HD Native TB box with a PSU or straight from the MBP? I had some issues on an older TB MBP and then added a PSU. From that point on no issues.
Old 3rd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hi,

thanks for the answer.
Well, the display is powered - the HD native TB not.
Hmm, I never considered that as the problem....cause Avid says that there'll be the necessity of a PSU only when the TB cable is longer than 5-6 meter or so...

Nevertheless, I gave it a try and nothing changed :-(

I'll be on location recordings a couple of weeks and it'll be just insane thinking "phew! Man, I almost forgot taking my 27-inch display with me like my second iLok getting Pro Tools working properly!!!"..

Please, help!

Thanks a lot, guys!
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I am running almost the same setup. (MacBook retina 16gig ram, Pt11hd native, omni, mavericks, Thunderbolt Display). I was having some issues and did a apple patch and everything seems to be fine yesterday. I now power the MacBook retina through the Thunderbolt Display, I also do not USB connect any audio devices aside from thunderbolt hd device. Another thing I do is monitor on the omni through analog 1&2 , I prefer the 7&8 option but was having some protools problems (I have not retested 7&8 after the patches).
Old 4th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hi PatrickFaith,

thanks for your answer!
Well, it seems to me that this advice suits setups, were there are problems while using the native TB WITH a Thunderbolt Display.
My Problem is using native TB WITHOUT the Display... :-)
It works faaaaar far better WITH a Display hooked up!
Otherwise I got you wrong...?

so long!
πŸ“ Reply