Quantcast
Pro Tools Software Upgrade - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pro Tools Software Upgrade
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Question Pro Tools Software Upgrade

Currently using Pro Tools HD version 8 with Digi 192s.

Should I upgrade to 10? What are the essential differences please?
Old 27th January 2013

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro ➑️
Currently using Pro Tools HD version 8 with Digi 192s.

Should I upgrade to 10? What are the essential differences please?
Clip Gain + Disk Cache are 2 of the biggest gains.

Plus you'll be able to use your iLok asset to open PT sessions natively on any computer (with full toolkit functions).

I'm sure there's numerous other updates, but these are the biggest ones.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mixed bit depth and interleaved files are nice additions as are the Channel Strip plug and the fact that PT no longer "holds on" to mounted drives. Variable Pan Law too.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My Mac Pro was bought April 2009 with the following configuration: ProcessorTwo 2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xe with 8GB Memory. Will Pro Tools 10 work well on this? Also any OS recommendations?

Thank you

Last edited by maestro; 28th January 2013 at 01:10 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Don't bother?

I would think very carefully, clip gain and disc cache won't enable you to do anything you can't do now. The great days of Digi's reasonably priced up-grades are sadly long gone. I wouldn't humour Avid by giving them the money. Using PT8 I'm doing my best work ever with the best stability, a huge range of plug-ins and I have no intention of changing. Is it going to earn you more money or radically change your mixes? In a word - no!!
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWoodbine ➑️
I would think very carefully, clip gain ... won't enable you to do anything you can't do now.
Nonsense. Clip Gain's been in other software for years and it's an INCREDIBLY useful thing. Not easily replicated.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I would think very carefully, clip gain and disc cache won't enable you to do anything you can't do now.
Sorry, can't agree. Clip gain has changed the way I work for the better (and quicker). disk cache gets more out of your system.

I'm a big believer that computer DAWs in general don't let you do anything you couldn't do before - they just make it a lot quicker. That's the point in the upgrade.

Quote:
The great days of Digi's reasonably priced up-grades are sadly long gone. I wouldn't humour Avid by giving them the money.
I agree it's not a cheap upgrade.

Quote:
Using PT8 I'm doing my best work ever with the best stability, a huge range of plug-ins and I have no intention of changing. Is it going to earn you more money or radically change your mixes? In a word - no!!
I don't think how well you're doing, good as it may be, is relevant here. Yes, you're doing well, that's great. Later today I'm recording a well known artist on a mix rig! but doesn't mean I wouldn't be quicker and faster on a PT10 rig.

The OP's question was "Should I upgrade to 10? What are the essential differences please?". You've not answered the 2nd part, although I guess your opinion is at least partly valid for the 1st (not having used PT10 in anger yourself I guess though, if your own rig is still at 8? not really a balanced view!). What the OP earns wasn't the question!
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Although it's not really a specific feature, I'd also add that Pro Tools 10 HD seems overall less sluggish, more stable, snappier.

This is perhaps just a result of the things already mentioned: disk cache, for example.

But Pro Tools itself (having used it for almost 15 yrs now) does seem more 'lean and stable', for lack of better terms.

Also, MIDI workflow, ime, has improved. Some of the older bugs that would cause PT to crash are fixed (like double-clicking a MIDI region in a moldy heavy session to get to the MIDI piano roll window).

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Some time has passed and I'm considering upgrading from Pro Tools HD 8 to Pro Tools 10 (don't want to have to replace my 2 Digi 192s).

What is the best way to do this please? Is the upgrade still $1500? Or can i just but Pro Tools 10 software and install?

Thanks
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It is still $1500, and you still need the HD version of the software to use with your TDM system.
Old 17th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 ➑️
It is still $1500, and you still need the HD version of the software to use with your TDM system.
It's quite a jump isn't it? Thank you for that.

Do most people do a digital download after purchase?
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For upgrades, I think that's the only way they do it now. Even if you buy a box from a dealer, I think there's just a card inside with an activation code.

One other thing to consider, if you have a recent model computer, is to get an HD Native system. This comes with both HD11 and HD10. HD 11 won't work with TDM, but you can use it with the HD Native card.

You can also use your 192's with HD Native and HD11.

It would be more money, but it's an option.
πŸ“ Reply