Quantcast
ProTools Upgrade Question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ProTools Upgrade Question
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
ProTools Upgrade Question

The studio I work at has PT 10 I love it. Im there most of the time. But I have PT 7.4 in my avid account and they have an upgrade option from LE option for $399 on websites will this work for me?
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear
Yes, its called a cross-grade. You also forfit your LE license to avid with the cross-grade.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribedescribe ➡️
Yes, its called a cross-grade. You also forfit your LE license to avid with the cross-grade.
Ahhh thank you for the fast reply. That's okay I can open up my old ptf files in PT10
Old 26th January 2013
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin III ➡️
Ahhh thank you for the fast reply. That's okay I can open up my old ptf files in PT10
and easily save your PT10 session in an earlier PT format no problem
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear
I wish that the Pro Tools 10 license that came with Pro Tools 10 HD weren't tied together...it would be nice to have HD on one iLok at the studio, and take the Native license home or on the road with a laptop on a separate iLok. Instead, I have to pay $300 for another license. Urg
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Actually, you don't forfeit your 7.4 license, or anything earlier than PT9, because they're not Ilok based.

The crossgrade is obtained by using the serial number of your LE hardware (Mbox 2, 003, etc.).

So you would still have your 7.4 if you wanted it. But PT10 is a full installer and it's recommended to not have a previous version installed.

Now if it was M-Powered 7.4, you would surrender it, because that's Ilok based as well.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear
Yah your right about the le and m-powered thing, I forgot le does not have a license.

The sad thing is the m-powered crossgrade cost more than Le, plus they make the m-powered users give up their license. Talk about avid kicking you when your down. LOL In all fairness they did only take my mp7.4 license and left my mp8 license alone when I crossgraded to PT9.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The costs are the same now for LE, M-Powered, and PT Express. They changed it along the way.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Sullivan ➡️
I wish that the Pro Tools 10 license that came with Pro Tools 10 HD weren't tied together...it would be nice to have HD on one iLok at the studio, and take the Native license home or on the road with a laptop on a separate iLok. Instead, I have to pay $300 for another license. Urg
....but then you'd be able to use 2 rigs when you only own one copy of PT...I'd like 2 for 1 in much of my life!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➡️
....but then you'd be able to use 2 rigs when you only own one copy of PT...
and...I don't see a problem with that at all.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by amost ➡️
and...I don't see a problem with that at all.
Nah, it'd be great for the end user.

But maybe not so good for the company trying to sell their product - effectively they've just ducked the price of PT HD by $600, or whatever PT costs at the moment.

As I said - I'd like 2 for one on everything I buy, but it isn't going to happen!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➡️
Nah, it'd be great for the end user.

But maybe not so good for the company trying to sell their product - effectively they've just ducked the price of PT HD by $600, or whatever PT costs at the moment.

As I said - I'd like 2 for one on everything I buy, but it isn't going to happen!
We just kinda disagree. I don't see it as 2 for 1.

I'm a fan of Pro Tools the software. Avid & Digi as companies…not so much.
I don't care about their issues but they have to survive & if gouging their customers is the way, so be it. I accept it.

I have plenty of other software that I can use on a couple of different computers only buying once…audio stuff & the invention of the freaking iLok/dongle thingie…not so much.

Like I say, it sounds like bashing but I've accepted their policies. It sucks but I'm used to it. waves also…but I won't buy anymore of their stuff only because I bought it, I own it…I shouldn't have to pay them a cut for me to sell it. It's obscene...but I digress!
Old 30th January 2013

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by amost ➡️
We just kinda disagree. I don't see it as 2 for 1.

I'm a fan of Pro Tools the software. Avid & Digi as companies…not so much.
I don't care about their issues but they have to survive & if gouging their customers is the way, so be it. I accept it.

I have plenty of other software that I can use on a couple of different computers only buying once…audio stuff & the invention of the freaking iLok/dongle thingie…not so much.

Like I say, it sounds like bashing but I've accepted their policies. It sucks but I'm used to it. waves also…but I won't buy anymore of their stuff only because I bought it, I own it…I shouldn't have to pay them a cut for me to sell it. It's obscene...but I digress!
I agree with your thinking. It's the path that's been taken, and as you say we live by their rules.

I'm not sure if the exact t+c of something like logic, but sometimes these programs state you're only meant to use one copy at a time - regardless of whether you can install multiple times.

I don't know, maybe it's not the case...
📝 Reply