Quantcast
recent Mac Pro and HDX1 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
recent Mac Pro and HDX1
Old 22nd January 2013
  #1
Gear Nut
 
🎧 15 years
recent Mac Pro and HDX1

I am about getting my HDX upgrade soon and have to buy a computer.
Dont know a lot about the recent mac pro desctops and wonder if the 3.2GHZ Quad model will be sufficient for HDX. Dont want to spent too much money in a computer from mid 2012 (the 12 core is kind of expensive). So I think about getting the "cheaper" Mac. Does anybody work with a machine like this and HDX1?
Thanks, Frithjof
Old 22nd January 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo.fire ➡️
I am about getting my HDX upgrade soon and have to buy a computer.
Dont know a lot about the recent mac pro desctops and wonder if the 3.2GHZ Quad model will be sufficient for HDX. Dont want to spent too much money in a computer from mid 2012 (the 12 core is kind of expensive). So I think about getting the "cheaper" Mac. Does anybody work with a machine like this and HDX1?
Thanks, Frithjof
Hi

If you're going to be using a lot of TDM and AAX DSP plugins then the 3.2ghz Quad Core should be more than fine. However, please note that when PT 11 comes out, TDM plugins won't be supported.

There is currently not a lot of AAX DSP plugins available at the moment either so you may be using standard AAX or RTAS plugins in the short to medium term. Therefore, the 6 core Mac Pro may be your best bet in the longer term.

Rumours still surround new Mac Pro's being released later this year. If you can wait then that could also be a good option for you.

I purchased the 6 core Mac Pro last year with PT HD10 Native and never looked back.
Old 22nd January 2013
  #3
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oracle ➡️
Hi

If you're going to be using a lot of TDM and AAX DSP plugins then the 3.2ghz Quad Core should be more than fine. However, please note that when PT 11 comes out, TDM plugins won't be supported.

There is currently not a lot of AAX DSP plugins available at the moment either so you may be using standard AAX or RTAS plugins in the short to medium term. Therefore, the 6 core Mac Pro may be your best bet in the longer term.

Rumours still surround new Mac Pro's being released later this year. If you can wait then that could also be a good option for you.

I purchased the 6 core Mac Pro last year with PT HD10 Native and never looked back.
Tdm plugins don't run on hdx. Aax dsp and native plugins only.

Any current Mac Pro should be fine - I've got a 2008/HD native setup, and it's fine for big sessions natively.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➡️
Tdm plugins don't run on hdx. Aax dsp and native plugins only.

Any current Mac Pro should be fine - I've got a 2008/HD native setup, and it's fine for big sessions natively.
I stand corrected. Thanks.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
  #5
Lives for gear
 
LeMauce's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➡️
Tdm plugins don't run on hdx. Aax dsp and native plugins only.

Any current Mac Pro should be fine - I've got a 2008/HD native setup, and it's fine for big sessions natively.
On side note Monkey... It's the 2008 mac pro that don't work with the HDX/Native card? Or only not with the HDX?
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMauce ➡️
On side note Monkey... It's the 2008 mac pro that don't work with the HDX/Native card? Or only not with the HDX?
Despite what was said at some point the 2008 Mac Pros do work with HD native, don't know about HDX
A.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMauce ➡️
On side note Monkey... It's the 2008 mac pro that don't work with the HDX/Native card? Or only not with the HDX?
PT HDX doesn't work with the 2008 Mac Pro according to Avid.

Pro Tools HD 10.2 with Pro Tools|HDX System Requirements

PT HD Native however does work with the 2008 Mac Pro.

Pro Tools HD Native Qualified Apple Computers
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
drew's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oracle ➡️
PT HDX doesn't work with the 2008 Mac Pro according to Avid.

Pro Tools HD 10.2 with Pro Tools|HDX System Requirements
I know Avid employees running HDX on 2008 Macs. They say it's not supported because there were some issues with firmware updates at some point.

Of course if it's not supported, you're on your own.
Old 23rd January 2013
  #9
70% Coffee, 30% Beer
 
Doc Mixwell's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The 12-Core has absolutely sick amounts of DSP potential.
Though, anyway you roll you will get a lot more native power on your computer when running HDX.

Because it offloads the entire Pro Tools Rig onto the HDX Card.
That means more GO-GO JUICE from your machines Native Power.

The 8-core machines are also a very good bet.
Actually, it does not matter so much with HDX
That 3.2 Quad Core Will Fly with HDX...
No problem...
Old 23rd January 2013
  #10
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oracle ➡️
PT HDX doesn't work with the 2008 Mac Pro according to Avid.

Pro Tools HD 10.2 with Pro Tools|HDX System Requirements

PT HD Native however does work with the 2008 Mac Pro.

Pro Tools HD Native Qualified Apple Computers
The 2008 does work with native - I run it myself!

It's not "qualified" with hdx, but I'd don't know for sure either way. If I were updating to hdx I'd pony up for a new computer anyway I think -you can't run mountain lion (again, officially!) on a 2008 model.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
  #11
Gear Nut
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell ➡️
The 12-Core has absolutely sick amounts of DSP potential.
Though, anyway you roll you will get a lot more native power on your computer when running HDX.

Because it offloads the entire Pro Tools Rig onto the HDX Card.
That means more GO-GO JUICE from your machines Native Power.

The 8-core machines are also a very good bet.
Actually, it does not matter so much with HDX
That 3.2 Quad Core Will Fly with HDX...
No problem...
are you talking about the 2.4GHZ 8-cores? there are still some at mac dealers around for 25% less than the 3.2 Quads. might be interesting if it works well. I do a lot of tracking with up to 32 tracks and wonder how the new system will behave. most of all because I surely have to use a lot of RTAS stuff the next time because of the lack of AAX versions

thx Frithjof
Old 24th January 2013
  #12
Lives for gear
 
LeMauce's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Thnx for the info guys! Great help!
Old 24th January 2013
  #13
70% Coffee, 30% Beer
 
Doc Mixwell's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
if you use lots of native processing, it can't hurt to get more of it. But just get the computer you can afford.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 55 views: 30505
Avatar for IM WHO YOU THINK
IM WHO YOU THINK 13th October 2020
replies: 201 views: 42116
Avatar for lawrence_o
lawrence_o 14th August 2015
replies: 1296 views: 178286
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
replies: 4 views: 829
Avatar for Raj Smoove
Raj Smoove 12th September 2016
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump