Quantcast
(DIGI 002) Pro Tools LE to Pro Tools HDX Upgrade - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
(DIGI 002) Pro Tools LE to Pro Tools HDX Upgrade
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
(DIGI 002) Pro Tools LE to Pro Tools HDX Upgrade

I have been doing research on upgrading my 2006 Pro Tools LE setup and would appreciate any pieces of advice. Im using a lot of plugins in my sessions and would prefer the HDX as peace of mind as opposed to the HD Native.

Im looking for dun dun dun POWER and SOUND QUALITY

Of what I have researched these are my concerns.

HDX + OMNI :

-Portability for mixing; however a magma chassis would solve this. The avid verified one is the 3T slot model available around the $900 mark. Clearly much larger than the HD Native thunderbolt; has anyone used a single slot chassis for their HDX? How many hours of mixing are we looking at running pro tools on a single macbook charge?

HD Native Thunderbolt + OMNI:

-No additional power to support large use of plugins.

HD + UAD Apollo:

-Quality of preamps are said not to be as good as the omni.
-Limited to UAD plugins

Would appreciate any comments as to the notable difference I will see in recording between my current DIGI 002 and the above. It is a big investment but I am now looking to work on this professionally. To date I have not used additional rack mounted gear such as compressors/eqs before hitting Pro Tools. Would it be better to invest in such gear (Im looking at the 500 series units with a lunchbox/ Avalon 737 for vocals) for sound and the latest mac for power? ( My last iMac was a 2.66ghz intel core duo).

Thanks for your advice.
Old 21st January 2013

🎧 10 years
What do you use your rig for? Recording? If so, how many inputs? Mixing? If so, how many tracks? What plugins? What locations do you work in?
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
"What do you use your rig for? Recording? If so, how many inputs? Mixing? If so, how many tracks? What plugins? What locations do you work in?"

Thank you for your reply.

I use the rig to do all my recording/editing/mixing.

Plugins - Mostly RTAS/VTAS everything from Altiverb to Maschine by Native Instruments (which ate up a lot of my cpu). I would like to use AAX DSP plugins and make do with some of the mentioned ones until their respective versions are made.

I am aware PTX is ideal when wanting to record lots of tracks eg. orchestra, I won't be needing this much; not solely relying on CPU is what is appealing me. 2 I/Os which the omni comes with is a fine starting point. The UAD comes with 8 I believe but I hear they are inferior to the omni.

Location - Would love to be able to take the rig when Im travelling abroad (not on the train home) for editing/mixing purposes. I have no intention of taking LA2A rack units with me at the moment
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephrivers ➑️
Plugins - Mostly RTAS/VTAS everything from Altiverb to Maschine by Native Instruments (which ate up a lot of my cpu). I would like to use AAX DSP plugins and make do with some of the mentioned ones until their respective versions are made.
If you want to use AAX DSP then HDX is the only system that will run them. regular PT10/HD Native only runs AAX Native.

Magma chassis will require mains power; as least, I'm pretty certain it would - every other magma I've seen has required this! As will the HD interface; so running the macbook on battery will be largely pointless.

I've not used the apollo (and there's only 4 mic pres, but 8 analogue inputs) so I can't compare. The OMNI which I do have (but haven't done much recording with) has mic pres which are absolutely fine, as far as I can tell.

You can still run AAX/RTAS plugins with the Apollo. you can run everything you run on HD native with the apollo. However, you also get DSP UAD plugins. So there's no disadvantage there - you won't get AAX DSP, but then you don't unless you buy HDX.

The Apollo would be the neatest solution for you for sure, and maybe the best "real time tracking" option if you can't afford HDX (which would be overkill). I like the integration of HD native, but I don't use a portable rig!
Old 22nd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thank you for your reply, appreciate the advice!

Can anyone comment on the likely longevity of the Apollo. As I understand AAX Native and AAX DSP are the new plugin formats; is there a likely hood that less AAX Native plug-ins are a made and AAX DSP be the norm.
I am looking to make a substantial financial investment that will last at least a good 5 years.

"TDM and RTAS will soon be a thing of the past. They will continue to work in Pro Tools 10 but they will eventually be replaced by AAX, which will be available both in Native and DSP form." (taken from a blog I read)

Can anyone with experience with the apollo and the omni comment on the quality of their preamps?

If I get the Apollo I will be making a large saving of several thousand, but Im concerned the quality of the recordings will be inferior. Can someone comment on whether purchasing additional hardware ( eg. 500 series eqs/ compressors, I have no experience with adding lunchboxes to my recordings) with the apollo will make a bigger difference than investing it all into a HDX set up.
Old 23rd January 2013

🎧 10 years
Aax native has by far the biggest market. I'd think much more will become available as native than dsp. Apart from Heat, I'm struggling to think of plugins that are dsp only - there's plenty that are native only.

This shouldn't be a concern really.
πŸ“ Reply