Quantcast
Automate Clip Gain using Faders? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Automate Clip Gain using Faders?
Old 21st January 2013
  #1
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Automate Clip Gain using Faders?

Is there a way? If not by default, is there a way to create that possibility? Thanks guys.

EDIT: Answer at post #15
Old 21st January 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 
drew's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
nope. Lots of people have asked for it.

BUT, you can create regular automation and then convert to clip gain.
Old 21st January 2013 | Show parent
  #3
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew ➑️
nope. Lots of people have asked for it.

BUT, you can create regular automation and then convert to clip gain.
Oh, interesting... So how would that be done?
Old 21st January 2013
  #4
Lives for gear
 
drew's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Pro Tools 9 and 10 Reference Guides

Search this Doc for Automation. Create it, then search that Doc for Clip Gain and it will tell you how to convert it.
Old 21st January 2013 | Show parent
  #5
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew ➑️
Pro Tools 9 and 10 Reference Guides

Search this Doc for Automation. Create it, then search that Doc for Clip Gain and it will tell you how to convert it.
Is it really that long to explain?... I'm really just asking about bringing the automation on the volume track onto the Clip Gain track. In regards to automation in general, I don't really need any of that explained. Thanks in advance.
Old 21st January 2013 | Show parent
  #6
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 ➑️
Is it really that long to explain?... I'm really just asking about bringing the automation on the volume track onto the Clip Gain track. In regards to automation in general, I don't really need any of that explained. Thanks in advance.
Well...someone COULD go through, write the relevant parts up into a post for you so you could be spoon fed...or you could go find it out for yourself.

You've been given the resources - why not go learn to fish? You've been told where the information is.
Old 21st January 2013 | Show parent
  #7
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
Well...someone COULD go through, write the relevant parts up into a post for you so you could be spoon fed...or you could go find it out for yourself.

You've been given the resources - why not go learn to fish? You've been told where the information is.
Well.. The reason is because if it's more than a couple of steps which could be listed, then the process wouldn't be worth it, because this is a method I might want to implement all the time. Long processes kill creative workflow. Plus, it's not really spoon feeding to answer a question directly. That analogy of giving a man a fish over teaching him also has no relevance or bearing here. The whole direct factor is the point of a forum. It also then acts as a future resource for somebody to access. In that way, a reference then TO HERE might make sense if a question would be one-to-one identical.

I use the alternative option to this all the time when I know I can, but since I'm already here... I mean, again, that'd be the whole point of a thread like this. I appreciate the help either way, sincerely, I just don't appreciate the latter.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
  #8
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 ➑️
Well.. The reason is because if it's more than a couple of steps which could be listed, then the process wouldn't be worth it, because this is a method I might want to implement all the time. Long processes kill creative workflow. Plus, it's not really spoon feeding to answer a question directly. That analogy of giving a man a fish over teaching him also has no relevance or bearing here. The whole direct factor is the point of a forum. It also then acts as a future resource for somebody to access. In that way, a reference then TO HERE might make sense if a question would be one-to-one identical.

I use the alternative option to this all the time when I know I can, but since I'm already here... I mean, again, that'd be the whole point of a thread like this. I appreciate the help either way, sincerely, I just don't appreciate the latter.
As you wish...good luck in your search! I see the analogy as totally relevant, but there you are. You are free to disagree of course!
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
  #9
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
As you wish...good luck in your search! I see the analogy as totally relevant, but there you are. You are free to disagree of course!
I mean... It's not a matter of it being my search. I'm not sure what's with the irrelevant statements. More appropriate would be, "I came here to criticize, disagree with you, and not give any input." Hey, I'm just speaking it like it is man.

As for that analogy again, the only thing it could possibly pertain to in this case is to you implying that I should learn how to use a manual, which A) would be besides the point you were trying to make, and B) I know how; I've done it plenty of times... Anyway, look, as a moderator, shouldn't you be encouraging people to discuss on the boards? I'd have a lot of input too you know and that's something helpful for others to read vs. something like this. As if I didn't have enough reason already, you're really just discouraging me from ever asking any questions. Took me long enough as it is to ask one, yet alone this specific one... This just simply makes it not worth it when somebody comes in and disrupts the whole flow, and this happens every time - not just to me, but to everyone that ever asks any questions I ever search for answers for. Because of crap like this it makes it useless. I'm gunna stop there...
Old 22nd January 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
scottwilson's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
You have now officially spent more energy bitching at the people who pointed you to the exact pages in the manual that explain what you're looking for than it would have been for you to read, learn, evaluate, and provide useful feedback as to the process.

Nice work!
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
  #11
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwilson ➑️
You have now officially spent more energy bitching at the people who pointed you to the exact pages in the manual that explain what you're looking for than it would have been for you to read, learn, evaluate, and provide useful feedback as to the process.

Nice work!
I guess it's valid that energy was spent on it (as if I really wanted to), but bitching I wouldn't call it. I've stated what it is I took issue with.

Going to the manual innevitably seems like I would've had to do from this situation anyway. The point from the very beginning was that I would've preferred a discussion - at the very least one that involves some basics about it like what I mentioned, that if it's overly convoluted that then it wouldn't be worth it. Clearly people have had experience with this so input was what I was looking for on that front before anything further. I think that was reasonably stated.

There's no reason for this to escalate; I for one enjoy having a discussion ON A FORUM. The problem is that it's off topic and this is simply adding to it. So I'd say good job to you sir for involving yourself, and taking the preferable stance at that, for reasons which some good sense would allow to conclude (though otherwise long to explain).

I could've easily went just "F*** it, I'm out! I'm done.", after the first response. But what you say could've/should've followed is then simply unrealistic. Must everything with everybody be on a reactionary basis?.. <-Rhetorical

Let's move on please.
Old 22nd January 2013
  #12
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 ➑️
I mean... It's not a matter of it being my search. I'm not sure what's with the irrelevant statements. More appropriate would be, "I came here to criticize, disagree with you, and not give any input." Hey, I'm just speaking it like it is man.
I saw it more as "if you learn how to help yourself, you'll be in a better position in the future, and therefore you'll be more productive".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 ➑️
As for that analogy again, the only thing it could possibly pertain to in this case is to you implying that I should learn how to use a manual, which A) would be besides the point you were trying to make, and B) I know how; I've done it plenty of times...
Well, you've just been told it can (sort of) be done, and how to find it out....I don't see why the response was "well, can you show me exactly, I can't be bothered to look it up myself?"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 ➑️
Anyway, look, as a moderator, shouldn't you be encouraging people to discuss on the boards? I'd have a lot of input too you know and that's something helpful for others to read vs. something like this. As if I didn't have enough reason already, you're really just discouraging me from ever asking any questions.
Not at all. It's a good question! But you've got a link to the answer...that was my point! If someone else chimes in with the exact answer, great - but to ask the guy who linked you the resources to basically cut and paste the answer for you just struck me as a touch lazy, that's all. Don't take it too personally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 ➑️
Took me long enough as it is to ask one, yet alone this specific one... This just simply makes it not worth it when somebody comes in and disrupts the whole flow, and this happens every time - not just to me, but to everyone that ever asks any questions.
It does happen yes - and in some cases rightly so, there's a lot of people wanting to know how to do something that is clearly the "wrong" way to do something (if you've got any experience), people wanting to know what's the best xx to buy when the xx is not their issue...and yes there's those who just like to argue. I'm sorry if you took my comment the wrong way. It definitely wasn't intended to derail your thread, just to help you find the info quicker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwilson ➑️
You have now officially spent more energy bitching at the people who pointed you to the exact pages in the manual that explain what you're looking for than it would have been for you to read, learn, evaluate, and provide useful feedback as to the process.

Nice work!
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
  #13
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Ok, fair enough. It was then more on the lines of a misunderstanding because believe me, as with the reasons I've stated, it has nothing to do with laziness. The fact that he pointed me to the manual instead of saying the few words I thought it might've taken to describe how (especially since finding it in the manual and linking it could take longer actually), led me to believe that it might not be worth it so I followed up with asking if it's complicated and asked essentially what was up with that. Phrasing is important to take note of, you know?.. I have a feeling that it's the assumption that you probably make whenever you see somebody linking information followed by somebody asking for the information directly, no matter the actual implications there or context.

Not that you could've known, but as I've now implied, I do do everything myself. Tools such as what forums are for do exist and I personally love to help people myself as well, so there's nothing wrong in this case for something to take place in the nature of what I am and was suggesting.

Did it take a bit of extra effort to make my point? Sure. But that's what communication is about. I'm not sure how I could've otherwise stated my original follow-up other than just doing what's expected of me. If I did that, I woudn't be getting anywhere with anything I do so, considering what was actually behind my reply, despite how realistically uninvolved it may have seemed, I don't take the other option just from fear of dumb situation like this which, also realistically, this is...
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
  #14
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 ➑️
Ok, fair enough. It was then more on the lines of a misunderstanding because believe me, as with the reasons I've stated, it has nothing to do with laziness. The fact that he pointed me to the manual instead of saying the few words I thought it might've taken to describe how (especially since finding it in the manual and linking it could take longer actually), led me to believe that it might not be worth it so I followed up with asking if it's complicated and asked essentially what was up with that.
Yep, fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 ➑️
Phrasing is important to take note of, you know?.. I have a feeling that it's the assumption that you probably make whenever you see somebody linking information followed by somebody asking for the information directly, no matter the actual implications there or context.
Thank you for the slight condescension but no offence taken.....I don't think you came across as quite as clued up as you think. You can only go on what is written here. I didn't make any assumptions, I went on what was on the page, so to say you have a "feeling" about what I'd do at any given point is a little "assuming" on YOUR part, perhaps?

But no hard feelings, it's a misunderstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 ➑️
Not that you could've known,
Which is kind of my point. I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 ➑️
but as I've now implied, I do do everything myself. Tools such as what forums are for do exist and I personally love to help people myself as well, so there's nothing wrong in this case for something to take place in the nature of what I am and was suggesting.
again, fair enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 ➑️
Did it take a bit of extra effort to make my point? Sure. But that's what communication is about. I'm not sure how I could've otherwise stated my original follow-up other than just doing what's expected of me. If I did that, I woudn't be getting anywhere with anything I do so, considering what was actually behind my reply, despite how realistically uninvolved it may have seemed, I don't take the other option just from fear of dumb situation like this which, also realistically, this is...
Like I said, I apologise if I've offended you! I would have thought the obvious thing to do would be to first check out the link/manual (let's face it - the avid manual isn't the easiest read in the world, having some pointers on what to search for might have helped most), then go with further questions if it doesn't answer the question.

The irony I guess is that there IS no positive answer for you - you CAN'T ride clip gain. Without going into it myself, I suspect drew's solution is to automate a trim plugin, ride the gain on that, then force paste the automation onto the clip gain automation line (which would essentially be the same as riding clip gain, provided you start the trim from unity). but I'm guessing here - I don't know if you can force paste automation onto clip gain.

And with that - good luck with it! post back if you work out a way to do what you want.
Old 22nd January 2013
  #15
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Ok, not in response to the preceding post, but now having read how to do it, I can't help but be annoyed. Do I really need to explain why? Here's what my searching the manual brought up...

1 Select a clip or make an Edit selection.
2 Choose Edit > Automation > Convert Volume to
Clip Gain.

I really had to search for that? All this patronizing BS just because.. Nope, no, ok.. That's it. I'm done. I've wasted enough time.
Old 22nd January 2013
  #16
Lives for gear
 
scottwilson's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Patronizing? Telling you where to look in the manual is patronizing? And when you complain that we didn't look it up for you and write it down and we tell you you're being lazy, that's patronizing?

Don't get mad at us because all you had to do was RTFM.

Personally, the only time I've ever had to do it was when I had some automation done on a PT9 project and upgraded to 10 and wanted to have the automation associated with the clip as I moved it around. Once. I didn't remember how to do it, but when I did need it, I looked it up. Since then, I do all of my automation in the clips directly, but not with the fader.



s
Old 22nd January 2013
  #17
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Yeah. Great... Brilliant observations of anything and all which took place... Have fun with that!

-Later guys! Till the next unfortunate encounter...
Old 22nd January 2013
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Mike O's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Now THAT was a Typhoon!
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
  #19
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 ➑️
Ok, not in response to this, but now having read how to do it, I can't help but be annoyed. Do I really need to explain why? Here's what my searching the manual brought up...

1 Select a clip or make an Edit selection.
2 Choose Edit > Automation > Convert Volume to
Clip Gain.

I really had to search for that? All this patronizing BS just because.. Nope, no, ok.. That's it. I'm done. I've wasted enough time.
Well, to be fair, I didn't know you could do that (thanks - you've taught ME something on PT which doesn't happen often!). so to give you the advice, I'd have to have looked it up myself, copied, pasted....if you see what I mean! I think my method would have worked too, although it was the long way round...

I don't know if drew was playing with you, but there's the possibility that he knew he'd read it somewhere, couldn't remember exactly, and sent you in the right direction. Benefit of the doubt and all that!

I also never deliberately patronised you, and if I did I apologise.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
  #20
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 ➑️
Ok, not in response to this, but now having read how to do it, I can't help but be annoyed. Do I really need to explain why? Here's what my searching the manual brought up...

1 Select a clip or make an Edit selection.
2 Choose Edit > Automation > Convert Volume to
Clip Gain.

I really had to search for that? All this patronizing BS just because.. Nope, no, ok.. That's it. I'm done. I've wasted enough time.
PS automating a trim plugin might actually be better because if you're riding the volume, you're doing it post any channel processing. if you insert a trim plug first, you can automate and ride that PRE channel processing, then copy/force paste the information to volume automation, THEN do the "convert volume to clip gain". Then delete the volume automation

Which is definitely a long way round to do it, but the only way you can ride in real time AND hear accurate results as you do it.

If you have no channel processing...it doesn't matter, the straight convert will work.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
  #21
Lives for gear
 
drew's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 ➑️
Ok, not in response to this, but now having read how to do it, I can't help but be annoyed. Do I really need to explain why? Here's what my searching the manual brought up...

1 Select a clip or make an Edit selection.
2 Choose Edit > Automation > Convert Volume to
Clip Gain.

I really had to search for that? All this patronizing BS just because.. Nope, no, ok.. That's it. I'm done. I've wasted enough time.
I knew you'd find it with a little help!!
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
  #22
Lives for gear
 
drew's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
Well, to be fair, I didn't know you could do that

I don't know if drew was playing with you, but there's the possibility that he knew he'd read it somewhere, couldn't remember exactly, and sent you in the right direction. Benefit of the doubt and all that!
Of course I knew!!


And you're welcome.
Old 22nd January 2013
  #23
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Drew, you suck. All of this thread up until Typhoon posted the answer to his own question was just a bunch of annoying bull****. Typhoon, thanks for not making the rest of us dig through the manual to find the answer.
Old 22nd January 2013
  #24
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Actually, looking back over the thread, it's actually psychomonkey and Scott that annoyed me the most. Drew, you suck less than I previously thought.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
  #25
Lives for gear
 
drew's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfour ➑️
Actually, looking back over the thread, it's actually psychomonkey and Scott that annoyed me the most. Drew, you suck less than I previously thought.
I suck (even if a little ) because I helped a guy get better at figuring **** out and getting better at using his software?? If that's sucking, then I guess I do suck.
Old 22nd January 2013
  #26
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfour ➑️
Actually, looking back over the thread, it's actually psychomonkey and Scott that annoyed me the most. Drew, you suck less than I previously thought.
Ah well...I'll try not to lose any sleep over it! It's a shame we can't all tailor the forums to our own personal taste.

Did you miss the bit where I added some useful advice that refined the original method?
Old 22nd January 2013
  #27
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew ➑️
I suck (even if a little ) because I helped a guy get better at figuring **** out and getting better at using his software?? If that's sucking, then I guess I do suck.
I'll join you in sucking, and lets add "annoying" to the list too
Old 23rd January 2013
  #28
Lives for gear
 
scottwilson's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I wonder if I started ignoring people, how long it would take for GS to turn into something useful again with some compelling conversation.

Hmmm.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 295 views: 72437
Avatar for anguswoodhead
anguswoodhead 26th March 2013
replies: 1296 views: 178634
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump