Quantcast
1st gen MacPro (1,1) 32-64bit EFI conversion? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
1st gen MacPro (1,1) 32-64bit EFI conversion?
Old 20th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
1st gen MacPro (1,1) 32-64bit EFI conversion?

Ok, so I'm poor and can't afford a new system right now.

I am upgrading my system to an '8-core' from a 'quad' and with 13 GB of RAM, 98% of my ProTools sessions won't be an issue.

HOWEVER, my ability to take part in the (hopefully) 64-bit architecture of ProTools 11 will not be an option for me as I cannot run Mountain Lion. 1st gen MacPro's use 32-bit EFI and Mountain Lion requires 64-bit.

There are so many people that have created 'Hackintosh' patches to get the system to boot in 64-bit, but has anyone done any of these lately, or can you verify if these work-arounds (2 links below) function properly with Mountain Lion?

My stuff is about to become obsolete anyways…may as well try a Hail Mary pass to gain a few more years out of my gear.

Here are two links for possible fixes: Both scare me beyond words and I hope sincerely for advice.

How I installed Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on my 2006 MacPro 1,1 | Jabbawok's Blog

OS X 10.8 MacPro1,1 | Jamie Cruickshank's Blog

I’m aware, ‘quit complaining and buy newer gear’ is the moral of this story, but you can’t hurt a guy for tryin. Thanks in advance for any tips, links, tricks, success stories or catastrophic failures.
Old 10th October 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Anyone have any info?
Old 18th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you haven't bought it yet I would seriously consider just building a hackintosh instead. This is an interesting option though. I dont know how well ML will run on the old mac pros. Im trying to see how much longer my mac pro 1.1 will hang before I build its replacement. I feel confident thats my next move. I have had very good luck with the hack i built for my reception/server.
Old 18th October 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Well, I want to boot in 64bit so I can take advantage of more RAM. Inevitably, PT will be 64bit capable (soon-ish) and should finally be able to access more than 4GB of RAM. These MacPro's were so darn expensive but they are by no means obsolete in terms of power and capability. Mine can still very easily handle a difficult ProTools session. Getting 64bit on these old Mac Pro 1,1s could be a HUGE upgrade just waiting to happen, but Apple won't support it. Can’t justify the cost to support older systems, I get it.

The solutions posted in this thread requires a new 64bit graphics card and then a firmware patch/workaround that hacks the mac into booting 64bit. Scares me too much to try. Going ‘unsupported’ in ProTools lands never works out well for anyone.

I'm just thinking ahead and still trying to maximize this computer before spending money on a new unit. I will try Hackintosh before I toss it, just looking for someone to streamline the process.
Old 28th July 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Did you ever try updating? I'm here with the same problem, it's still a great machine, would be a shame if it cant run ML.
Old 11th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuscw ➡️
Did you ever try updating? I'm here with the same problem, it's still a great machine, would be a shame if it cant run ML.
You can run Pro Tools 11 on Lion according to some threads on the DUC.

Download the demo and get the demo license and try it out :-)
Old 7th December 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Same issue running macro 1.1 i love it But Nuendo 6 worlds better on Mountain lion. I can't afford a new macro right now. ALso i don't want the 2013 version since no expansion. I am making myself a hack pro. Did not get the parts yet missing the mother board. will let you know how it turns out.
📝 Reply