Quantcast
Does Pro-tools 10 have something similar to the Audio Effect Rack in Ableton??? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does Pro-tools 10 have something similar to the Audio Effect Rack in Ableton???
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Does Pro-tools 10 have something similar to the Audio Effect Rack in Ableton???

Hi All

I saw this cool feature on ableton live called an Audio effect rack. it lets you split/mult the source audio or vst plugin to several channels. you can then put plugins on these channels individually and then lets you set up macro controls for the whole chain.

for example....

on a bass synth, you can create 2 mults with the effect rack. then use one for the low end using an EQ and the other mult for the high end. On the low end you can add a distortions plugin, then add a filter plugin. on the high end mult you can add a chorus effect and anything else you like.

then with the macro you can assign things like a crossover frequency, low end frequency low pass , drive of the distortion plugin and top end chorus depth/rate/mix to marcos.

its a really awesome way to have incredible control over the sound source and makes doing some really cool automation to the sound plausible.

i was just wondering does pro tools have a way of doing this? does pro tools have a similar device like the audio effect rack in Ableton?

i know you can just rewire which is probably what i will end up doing but just wondering if you can mult this way in pro tools.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
jugging by the overwhelming responses i guess not
Old 22nd September 2012

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Short answer is no.

Longer answer is not really - PT works essentially as a mixing console does.

To mult something, just output the track to a buss, and pick it up on 2 separate auxes and process that.

To achieve a similar effect to how you describe, I'd print the synth to audio (always a good idea to print MIDI tracks before mixing, for archive and reliability purposes). Duplicate track; process the 2 separately. Then I'd buss them both 2 to a single aux channel for buss processing/control of volume - or if I was on PT HD and didn't need to EQ them further, I might just group them and use a VCA to control them. The same way I'd do things on a LFAC.

It's not really the same workflow, but it achieves the same end. The only thing that isn't the same is the crossover frequency thing - but you can work around that.
๐Ÿ“ Reply