The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My Take on Pro Tools HD 10 so Far - Garbage.
Old 23rd December 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trepbale ➡️
Honestly couldn't disagree more.
He wasn't stating an opinion, those things actually happened to him.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trepbale ➡️
Honestly couldn't disagree more. OS on a SSD, Active Sessions disk is a WD Raptor, 12GB of memory set for Disk Cache...PT just flies. Sucks that it's not working out for you, but even without the disk cache I wouldn't say PT is any slower than it was before (esp. never been slower), at least not in my experience...
I use W7 64bit, SSD for OS, 7200RPM WB Black Drives SATA3, 12GB Ram, 9 GB set to Disk Cache, 7/8 Processors @ 99%.... PT10HD Native System. It hasn't been slower in my experience the work flow has saved me time. It has also been very reliable (no crashes or lock-ups).
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➡️
And I appreciate that.

I'd read 95% of those bullet points on Avid's site, and I've actually used many of the new features since installing the trial a few days ago. Knowing all that helps justify the price tag, but only by a very small margin. For me, it's still priced far, far too high. And if I upgrade at home the stone begins to roll and I'd need to upgrade a total of 5 systems to maintain compatibility. That's $5,000.
...so you have 5 work stations....or you have five studios?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Angry

Last night pt10hd not playing audio back on random tracks
Like left side of ovhead stereo track no audio or meter.
Killed a well paid mix session in a hurry
Old 24th December 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
Last night pt10hd not playing audio back on random tracks
Like left side of ovhead stereo track no audio or meter.
Killed a well paid mix session in a hurry
that really sucks on a paid session...

Hey RB...just wondering if you are using VCC...it wreaks havoc in PT10...
I have seen nothing like this so far...but a friend can't use VCC with it...and the problem is at the VCC end..specifically the "Neve" setting.
Lives for gear

I just picked up a Native HD Card to demo it and 10.

I'm now running HD3 Accel PT 8 on a Dual Core 2.26 Xenon 14 gigs of ram.

Will report back on my experience early next week. I will not upgrade to HDX no mater what. If Native doesn't rock, it's going back to the dealer, and i'm using my current system till it falls apart into little pieces.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix ➡️
I just picked up a Native HD Card to demo it and 10.

I'm now running HD3 Accel PT 8 on a Dual Core 2.26 Xenon 14 gigs of ram.

Will report back on my experience early next week. I will not upgrade to HDX no mater what. If Native doesn't rock, it's going back to the dealer, and i'm using my current system till it falls apart into little pieces.
your system sounds rockin already...you should at least try PT10 (trial) with your current rig...the clip gain, real time fades and Ram cache alone could improve your world tremendously.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FruHauven ➡️
your system sounds rockin already...you should at least try PT10 (trial) with your current rig...the clip gain, real time fades and Ram cache alone could improve your world tremendously.
Using 10 with HD Native at the moment, these and the extra ADC are nice additions for sure but IMO not worth $1000 (not even talking about the $1500 from 8HD)
A.

Last edited by Andy_bt; 24th December 2011 at 01:05 AM.. Reason: wording
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
"let's face it"?

...I don't think so

what is an improvement worth? I don't know...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
"let's face it"?

...I don't think so
You're right, edited!
A.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I would pay that..but it isn't cheap.
Old 24th December 2011
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
, the anti Avid campaign that apple is engaged in is just plain illegal if you ask me...been around here for years.
I'm sick of it too! Nobody's forcing anyone to buy Avid products except maybe Apple(by dumbing down their own pro audio and video products to consumer apps).
Old 24th December 2011
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Shouldn't you be paid for all sessions? I don't work for free!
Old 24th December 2011
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Legacy 888/24 well clocked- on a quiet G4- gotta luv it!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Hey RB...just wondering if you are using VCC...it wreaks havoc in PT10...
I have seen nothing like this so far...but a friend can't use VCC with it...and the problem is at the VCC end..specifically the "Neve" setting.
yeah wish it had crapped out while noone was around

I had vcc but traded it for a great old Supro amp.

I'm working on a console already[API]
although I probably need to buy it again for the recall addicted itb type stuff.
looks like I need to wait till its PT10 friendly?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
nothing life changing but yeah I'm loving PT10..

..when its actually passing audio
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
what is an improvement worth? I don't know...
In the end I guess it's worth what will bring the company the best income depending on price per sales volume
A.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkay909 ➡️
Quote:
yeah wish it had crapped out while noone was around
Ok smartarses...we are "trying" 10 out aren;t we? I'm not using it on real session right now...I'm playing around with it on sessions that are already in the can and that I'm intimate with.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Ok smartarses...we are "trying" 10 out aren;t we? I'm not using it on real session right now...I'm playing around with it on sessions that are already in the can and that I'm intimate with.
not trying to be a smart ass..
strange it was working great for the past couple weeks until yesterday
Old 25th December 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
not trying to be a smart ass..
strange it was working great for the past couple weeks until yesterday
yeah weird...hope you figure it out...Happy Happy!
Old 27th December 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

So i'm demoing Native HD and these are my initial thoughts, i currently own an HD3 Accel system.

So far for mixing it's looking like the Native HD setup is a keeper. I'm finding my plugins open faster, i like that the playback doesn't hicup when i open a plugin, the system seems faster and more responsive, VI's seem to be running more smoothly. I have a pretty large mix up and mostly in the box on this one. I'm running a ton of oxford eq's, all sorts of waves and softube, 1 Leixcon Verb, 5 mc dsp Mc2000, 1 flux Alchemist, 5 Autotunes, along with Kontact 4 and RMX. At a 128 hw buffer it shows my system usage topping out at 28%. My TDM rig was not as smooth with handling RTAS plugs as Native is. I'm not finding that i'm missing the Accel cards. I'm running my usual parallel plugs for drums and vocals with no phasing, and i have plenty of horse power left for more. For the first time i'm feeling the power of my computer. Since i do use a lot of plugins when mixing and programing, l like the idea of not having to spend double for TDM or AXX HD plugins any longer.

Next up is recording, with this i'm more hesitant to get excited.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix ➡️
Next up is recording, with this i'm more hesitant to get excited.
Let us know what you think. It's recording where DSP would be most handy. It's the only reason I won't switch to Native.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I don't understand people going from their HD3 Accel systems to Native. Isn't that like trading your $16,000 system in on a 003? Seems like a step down and an unfair trade to me. My RTAS plugs never function as well as my TDM plugs and I always have an issue with latency when recording through an AUX with RTAS plugs on it... never an issue with TDM. Plus, aside from import/export I feel like the current systems (excluding 10 since I have not tried it) don't run any smoother or faster than PT 5 on my old 9600.

I'm still on PT8, though... having serious concerns going to HDX - especially because I have 24 faders of ProControl and I can't quite get a solid answer on if it works well with PT10. I get the "it should... but we haven't tested it and don't officially support it" answer. When you start talking about trading in two interfaces, process cards, fader packs it's gets into the "stupid money" realm.
Motown legend

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisefreak ➡️
I don't understand people going from their HD3 Accel systems to Native. Isn't that like trading your $16,000 system in on a 003?...
Only for people who care mostly about bragging rights rather than actual performance. It does require a pretty recent computer.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I agree with Bob. If PT Accel works for you, stick with it. OTOH, there seem to be a certain percentage of HD users who may not actually need it, so the bragging rights thing seems to swing both ways.

I know guys who never track more than 4-5 things at a time who talk about low latency with 48 tracks with plugs... things they never actually even do. They probably could have saved a few pennies.
Motown legend

🎧 20 years
Better to put the money into great converters which will make plug-ins sound way way better, great monitors so you aren't fixing what isn't broken and great microphones.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddierodriguez ➡️

disk-cache can´t deal with big sessions that exceed the timeline-cache. man, pro tools never was slower...

we´re on 24GB ram...
I found the opposite. Pro Tools 10 is positively fast compared to 8/9. I only allocated 5 gigs to the disk cache (the sessions I were running are under that in totality but I'm typically 24 bit 44.1K) on a HD2 in an 8 core intel mac. It flies, I'd go as far as to say it's never been faster (not in the intel era anyway) Screen redrawing everything seems faster. Peppy is a word I'd use.

I'm curious as to what kind of session you're loading that exceeds 20gigs is it a big movie or something?

I'm mostly running sessions average sized 48-70 track music projects.

Last edited by Neil Pickles; 27th December 2011 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 28th December 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
curious,anyone here tracking 20 40 tracks ..5-8 musicians in the room at once w/ new native rigs?
I'm usually at least 2-3 people..drums,bass,etc.

ram caching seems fine here..no disc too slow hiccups anymore=great.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
curious,anyone here tracking 20 40 tracks ..5-8 musicians in the room at once w/ new native rigs?
I'm usually at least 2-3 people..drums,bass,etc.

ram caching seems fine here..no disc too slow hiccups anymore=great.
this is what I'm doing as well...but from what I read it wouldn't work for me as I need to be able to hardware monitor as many channels as I feel like, not just two...running at low buffers is not an option for me....if Avid changed the card so that you could use LLM on all inputs...I'd buy it in a second...

but yes I'm curious from actual users as well.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkay909 ➡️
I think the point he's trying to make is, that there were either musicians kept waiting in the studio, or producers/record company personnel awaiting the results.

Either way or scenario is important to the appeared professionalism of the mans work.

I don't work for free either.... thats why its called work, you cretin.
📝 Reply