Pro Tools HEAT - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pro Tools HEAT
Old 18th August 2010
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Pro Tools HEAT

Well here is their plug in they claim to help you sound more analog. http://media-cdn.avid.com/media/heat...es%20Video.mov

Personally it sounds more like an EQ filter. My Portico True Tape does a lot more of the analog sound than this plug in.
Old 18th August 2010
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
This is not a bad plugin, hope it's kind of the same: Crane Song Website
Old 18th August 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World ➑️
Well here is their plug in they claim to help you sound more analog. http://media-cdn.avid.com/media/heat...es%20Video.mov

Personally it sounds more like an EQ filter. My Portico True Tape does a lot more of the analog sound than this plug in.
you used it already in your studio? i dont have the guts to upgrade to 8.1 right now. too much being done. i know i can never tell how anything sounds thru online clips/videos. I do love my cranesong phoenix plugin from dave hill and he did Heat.
Old 18th August 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
People who tried HEAT seem very excited. I love Phoenix and I will be testing HEAT today. I'll let you know if I like it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I thought it was sort of a simplified Nuendo clipper but yeah must try before comment...
Old 18th August 2010
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Pro Tools HEAT

I love it so far... Could be drastic on extreme settings, but then again if you abuse it it's what you'd expect.

Put up a video of it:

YouTube - Pro Tools HEAT.mov

Founder

Thanks for putting that up for us

Sounds good to me!

I am a Cranesong Phoenix fan anyway so IMHO smart move by AVID to get Dave Hill to develop a global mix solution.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm really surprised that Avid is the first company to really integrate a "sound" into a full featured DAW. Kudos to them for actually implementing this. It's only a matter of time before all the other DAWs follow suit.

Brad
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i said it in another thread but this is a very shrewd move by avid in light of all the other "analog" sims about to hit us!

still think omni is balls though
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I suspect the analog sim that creates the the most obvious and heavy handed tonal shift will get the most attention. Most people just can't hear the subtleties, nor do they care. Let's face out--most people don't want to shell out a ton of cash for subtle.

Brad

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan ➑️
I'm really surprised that Avid is the first company to really integrate a "sound" into a full featured DAW. Kudos to them for actually implementing this. It's only a matter of time before all the other DAWs follow suit.

Brad
Errr....RECORD? Harrison Mixbuss?

If anything they're MORE integrated - as in you can't turn it off!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan ➑️

Brad
And they were smart enough to have Dave Hill of Cranesong do it.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizProdux ➑️
I love it so far... Could be drastic on extreme settings, but then again if you abuse it it's what you'd expect.
Thanks for the upload.Sounds nice indeed, i ll give it a try.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
WOW. That demo video is great. Sounds like it could be a useful feature! Go AVID!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
What I really want to know, and what I'll probably never get a straight answer on, is this:

Is HEAT doing the exact same thing as one of the Phoenix plugins? For us Phoenix owners, would getting HEAT be redundant?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
Errr....RECORD? Harrison Mixbuss?

If anything they're MORE integrated - as in you can't turn it off!
Exactly. Avid is copying others.

And Metric Halo has the same functionality in their DSP mixer called Character.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sounds good to me on avid's demo... great song too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3gLMgOEn_I
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedpenn ➑️
What I really want to know, and what I'll probably never get a straight answer on, is this:

Is HEAT doing the exact same thing as one of the Phoenix plugins? For us Phoenix owners, would getting HEAT be redundant?
- it sounds different

- it is enabled on all tracks by default

- there is one global setting

Personally I think it is better than Phoenix, but I can still add some more warmth with Phoenix to some tracks if I want to. It is definitely worth spending some time on testing HEAT.

I will also keep using Phoenix on my master bus.
M2E
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's TDM only which is cool
It's a Global drive and tone knob which is good but in some ways not unless,
they created 4 knobs because, if you turn it to the left, you get more tube saturation, if you turn it to the right you get another type of saturation.
For the Tone, it's the same thing. You turn it one way, you get one thing and turn it the other blah blah blah....

Anyway, if they would change that to a simple 4 knob control so that if you want to mix and match each sound, that would take it to a whole another level.
I like what it does as it is very subtle. Never really aggressive to my ear. Cool visual effect seeing how much it touches the effect.

As it stands, would I buy it no. If they made that change, yes!!!!

Marc
Old 19th August 2010
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Pro Tools HEAT

Thanks for the comments on my video. I quickly made a video to show what it would do.
Next, I'm going to use it on a fresh new mix I'll be working on. Instantiating HEAT before making changes to individual tracks. Will post a video when my mix is done.

-Wiz

BTW, I will continue to use Phoenix and my Vintechs on my mixbuss as well as the FATSO
Old 19th August 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
is anyone familiar with a native equivalent?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sounds good.
The thing is... it sounds always "louder" when it's on... and that has a big influence on the perception of what "better" is.

I think It should not mess with levels... you do a mix in one workstation, you go to another studio with PT without HEAT installed and your mixes sound different... so now the new "standard" will be PT HDH (Heat)?
(And is not available for PT LE).

I don't also understand why there's no marking values/scales on the knobs... if you don't have your presets with you, you'll be always tweaking and guessing, if you had values you could remember and say (for ex.) Drive 7, tone 4... but I think HEAT it is a good move!
Old 19th August 2010
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Pro Tools HEAT

Don't the drive and tone get stored with your session??
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
To those who have used it: How much of the TDM cards' processing power does it eat?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
my initial experience suggests that it is a cool, good-sounding plugin.

as someone who already owns Phoenix, i find HEAT to be less versatile, and i don't feel like i need to buy it. what i love about Phoenix is that i can have one instance working gentle on the mix bus, but put another instance on the drum bus and slam it to hell.

if i could theorize (and i have no proof of this): i think that Dave Hill and other people in the know are probably aware that TDM plugins are not long for this world.

Dave has publicly stated his opposition to releasing native plugins due to copy protection issues.

so partnering with AVID here and integrating his work directly into the PT environment is probably a good way for him to keep his products current but avoid losing business to cracks.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Don't the drive and tone get stored with your session??
I'm sure they will, but HEAT is a 500Eur Plug in. So some studios may have it some not... but, anyway, it's the same for any plug-in... What I mean is that it should come included with PT when you buy a PT HD system...
Old 19th August 2010
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Pro Tools HEAT

I believe it's included with any new purchase of a PT Core System and an upgrade for current PTHD users. But check the docs
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I believe it's included with any new purchase of a PT Core System and an upgrade for current PTHD users. But check the docs
thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyfaulk ➑️
is anyone familiar with a native equivalent?
Maybe the clipper that comes with nuendo but its not so simple.
Old 19th August 2010
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Pro Tools HEAT

I don't know of any native equivalent for a number of reasons:

1. It's not a plugin
2. It's a global setting for all your audio tracks in the mixer
3. Dave Hill is known for developing mastering hardware, not software emulations
4. Even with the Analog button ON with Waves plugs, this is a global setting
πŸ“ Reply