Avid protools 2019 .... ? - Page 15 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Avid protools 2019 .... ?
Old 7th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauroiul ➡️
It’s a good way to have a vision of the all things. Honestly it seems a bit pro tool centric.
Of course it is PT centric, because that's where I made my template/workflow.
So it obviously has an advantage.
However these are features functions that are important to me and to my work.
Some of them have become vital even, I cannot offer certain services at competitive prices without them.
I have built an elaborate that automates all my deliverables automatically, perfectly, fool/fail proof, with maximum flexibility throughout the process songwriting to mastering. It is quite the achievement, took me a long time. DAWs need to support a whole bunch of features to be able to replicate it, and if they cannot do it the same way as PT does, their other way should make it just as easy or easier to do it. If however it turns out that some important manual step would cost an hour to do that takes only a minute in PT, then that is a huge deal.

These would not be an issue for most users, but they are for me, without a doubt.
This is why anyone looking for a new DAW should make one of these tabs and check it out.
My truth is not yours. Everyone's needs are different so there's simply no way of making statements like DAW X is the best DAW for mixing, period.
It's nonsense. What is not nonsense, is that PT is the best DAW to mix in that I've come across for the way I mix.
That's not to say I couldn't learn how to happily mix in another DAW. But one of the key services our company offers cannot be done as efficiently in any another DAW I've tried so far. If it can be done at all. I've spent considerable time on that. Surely I've left stones unturned and I will have missed some things here and there, but my findings were enough to decide that at least for mixing/mastering, there is no point in my even trying to port my production environment to another DAW just yet.
The songwriting/composing/tracking/producing part is something that could benefit from using others DAWs.
I'll entertain Studio One and Bitwig for that.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow ➡️
What is "Freeze up to insert"?
In PT you can for example freeze the first 4 plugins on a channel/track and leave the following slots open for active plugins.
It's extremely handy.

e.g freeze a CPU hog on a channel like Abbey Roads Plates, but still allow the processing afterwards to be tweaked.

Or freeze the VI plugins, but not the comps/ EQs etc.

pretty important for me to be able to run huge sessions on my ageing 3.33 6-core.

Oh 9900k Mac/Hack where art thou?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ ➡️
What is not nonsense, is that PT is the best DAW to mix in that I've come across for the way I mix.
Now if anyone comes along after as much thought/effort you've put into your personal findings and says... no sorry, Logic is better...it'll have to be a spell in troll jail.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
LN cooled and OC'd to 6.5GHz. It's a coming.
Old 7th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Could be though. I haven’t tried Logic.
I do know they at least have their independent side chain thing covered.
I doubt it ticks all the other necessary boxes but still, I know Logic is pretty sweet. I’ll try it. I’ve no prejudice.

To be fair, all that painstaking work was not done because I wanted to.
It’s brcause PT had become unusably unstable to me on Mac and I was forced to look for other options.
As I did and installed windows on my Mac to try daws on, I found out by chance that PT did run acceptably well on Windows at that time, so luckily I could at least work as I looked for a viable alternative. Now that PT runs well for me on Mac again, I’ll occasionally keep an eye on other DAWs to keep my options open.

Last edited by ~ufo~; 7th February 2019 at 10:55 AM..
Old 7th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Logic is pretty sweet. One of the best things about it is the price. Crazy good value. Just hope they keep selling them iPhones!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
In PT you can for example freeze the first 4 plugins on a channel/track and leave the following slots open for active plugins.
It's extremely handy.

e.g freeze a CPU hog on a channel like Abbey Roads Plates, but still allow the processing afterwards to be tweaked.

Or freeze the VI plugins, but not the comps/ EQs etc.

pretty important for me to be able to run huge sessions on my ageing 3.33 6-core.

Ah, then you can add a tick to the Cubase row for that feature as it also allows this.

Alistair
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Ah, then you can add a tick to the Cubase row for that feature as it also allows this.
Really? couldn't find it in the feature list. Only that you can freeze instruments, but I didn't find that you can freeze only part of the plugins on a channel or track?

Speaking of channels, can you freeze a (bus)channel now? Very important to my workflow.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Really? couldn't find it in the feature list. Only that you can freeze instruments, but I didn't find that you can freeze only part of the plugins on a channel or track?
Yes absolutely, I use it all the time.

Quote:
Speaking of channels, can you freeze a (bus)channel now? Very important to my workflow.
Nope. Cubase can't freeze group tracks.

Alistair
Old 7th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
cool thanks, I'll update my list. Been needing to give cubendo10 a test spin anyway.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauroiul ➡️
processing power snip.
welcome to the party pal
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Really? couldn't find it in the feature list.
Stick a tick in the Reaper box too while you're there. It has a feature where you can freeze up to the last selected plug-in.
Old 7th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Great! I didn't do a deep dive into Reaper yet at all, but I know that it's routing/flexibility wise probably one of the best contenders for me.
I find it a bit daunting and counter intuitive as a novice, but I'm sure it can do a lot for me and that I'd get used to it.
Thanks for helping me tick some more boxes!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Great! I didn't do a deep dive into Reaper yet at all, but I know that it's routing/flexibility wise probably one of the best contenders for me.
I find it a bit daunting and counter intuitive as a novice, but I'm sure it can do a lot for me and that I'd get used to it.
Thanks for helping me tick some more boxes!
I pretty much learned PT in 1 month. For Reaper I needed 3 and after 6 I was still more programming shortcuts then making music. But some people find it easy. I run away.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs ➡️
The day you're paying me and insist I NOT use PT... I might for one second care what you think about my choice of tools. Then I'll just show you the door and go on about my life.

Full disclosure: I also own Cubase and Logic (both nearly 20 years) and Reaper. I have outboard by API, Neve and SSL (and many more). Our household has a BMW, Audi and a Mazda. I have tools by Milwaukee, Makita, Dewalt and Bosch. Am I doing it wrong?

Just don't you EVER give me a Pepsi instead of a Coke!!!
Though my response wasn't directed at you you seem to have absorbed it and I'm not sure why. No, I don't care which DAW you use, nor was I suggesting one or the other -- I was saying that much of the support for a person's DAW is due to protection of their own choices and the skills they've accumulated for that particular DAW. Every now and then balanced comments come through but it's less and less common. Most of the time it's, 'well, I chose DAW "A" so DAW "A" is the impervious to criticism.' It doesn't help move the conversation forward. Improvements don't come when people remain silent about their issues/wishes.
Old 8th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It still does!!! :lol
Nah... seriously, right at this moment the routing is MUCH better than it was back in say, the early to mid 2000's. It's still not as flexible as PT, but it's flexible enough that I can approach things more freely. Back in the day it felt very limited, so much so that I had to plan out as much of my mixes as I could in order to avoid running into routing issues later on when using Steinberg's software.

Quote:
No program is perfect... never will be.

Avid seems to drop a bunch of MIDI updates every three to four years. Probably about that point pretty soon. MIDI obviously isn't what pays their bills. I'm fine with that. Life would be boring if we were all using the same sh!t, wearing the same clothes, driving the same cars...
And I agree, on both counts. None of the DAWs currently out there are absolutely perfect for every task, and life would be boring if we didn't have plenty of choices, which is why over the years, I've either used extensively or at least tried almost every DAW available out there, and at this current moment I still own and use several different options.

That doesn't mean I don't still hope for the day where maybe I can save myself some money by just sticking with one DAW that can cover everything I do from start to finish. Until then, I enjoy having the ability to boot up my rig, or flip open my laptop and decide whether I want to do some songwriting with Logic, Reason, Cubase, Maschine, MPC, etc. Never once though have I boot up my rig or flip open my laptop and decide to do some songwriting using Pro Tools. Never. If that changes one day, I would feel sorry for some of those other DAW developers out there. That's currently the only weak area of PT for my tastes.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
For the first time in my GS career, I'm bummed that I didn't go for Dr Evil as my user name, since that's my other nick name.

English speakers have mistaken my name (Yvo) for 'Evil' and my cousin used to not be able to pronounce it, and said oof-foo, hence the ~ufo~.

Thank you for making me doubt one of my most critical life choices, one million threads in.
Dr. Evil?

That user name would have been truly out of this world...

Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clivvy ➡️
protools 2019 Avid needs to fix CPU overload problem that would be a nice upgrade!
So, there is a huuuuuge problem with cpu overload!
And how can you guys keep using is a mystery to me.

It seems like I just joined a sinking ship...I thought it was a flagship...but I cannot work with my computer reduced at 20% of other daws' performance!
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the CPU problems for me have been solved. But there might be other issues.
Don't forget that even though some people could experience big problems, it's obviously working well for many others.
When I was ging through my troubles, I had many colleagues bewildered about it, because for them those PT builds were performing better than ever, while for me, they were crippling my system.
So don't take what a few people here say as gospel. PT may have some issues, but it's still the standard and is still being used in pro facilities everywhere.
If it had become unreliable, they all would have switched to something better, and they haven't.
If you have good systems, PT is very useable indeed.
People are not idiots.

I've been very frustrated with PT over the last few years, but I'd been very happy with it for many more years, so I gave them some time to work it out and they have.
It took much longer than I feel was acceptable, but we're here now, I didn't find a better DAW to migrate to, so all I can do is be happy that PT is stable for me again, because it wasn't really an option for me to record/produce in PT10 and only go to PT2018 for mixing.

Show me a DAW that doesn't have issues though.
I've never used one.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Show me a DAW that doesn't have issues though.
I've never used one.
I totally agree with everything you said. Daws do have issues. I would not be switching here and there if I had found what fits me. Considering perfection for you own workflow does not exists, PT fits me nicely.
I’m sure, as you said, that if my case would be everybody’s case there would be nobody here.
Although, what I’m experiencing is something really different that I have no experienced before. I’m starting working on a song, about 15-20 tracks at the moment, if I open a couple of plugs is game over. We are not talking about a crash, but the complete impossibility to passes some point with such a low number of tracks. Now, because of my continuous migration, I can tell this is not close to any previous experience.

So, I contacted the assistance, and the best they could do is linking me to the troubleshoot sheet. So basic stuff, also absurd stuff. The WiFi thing is really out of the world. The default authorization system is on cloud and they want WiFi to be off. What do they have in their mind? Anyway, I had already moved it to a terrestrial ilok.
Fact is, that nothing improved nothing. And now, what am I supposed to do??? Stop working until 2019 release praying the Gods that they will fix my issue? Move my 15 tracks to cubase (the last daw)? Change computer?
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I feel your pain. All I can offer is this:
I found that on my Mac Pro 3.33 6-core. The difference of wifi on and off is HUGE for low buffer recording reliability. night and day.
And I can still have ethernet and bluetooth, working, just not WIFI.
On my 2014 2.8 i7 MBP, it doesn't matter much at all of wifi is on. So it's obviously system related whether wifi has a big impact or not.
Also, if you're on mac: turn the notification center to do not disturb.

I ended up creating a win8.1 partition to be able to work if Mac failed. I still have it, even though Mac is performing well for me again.
Persist with starting a customer support case at Avid, it's gonna be slow, but at some point you'll get a support engineer who is persistent and you'll see some progress.
Good luck!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have a 2015 MBP / quadcore 2.8ghz i7 - 16GB of RAM.

My PT sessions get the ****73 error 9 out of 10 times during a given playback. It's so frustrating. I've gone back to Logic even though I prefer PT. The difference in performance is HUGE. PT can't handle 10 tracks and 20 plugins w/o breaking. I can go nuts in LPX - 40+ tracks, plugins and VIs used at-will and w/o issue. The laptop chugs along happily.

This is a recent phenomena - this same setup work fine with PT for many years. I think it started going sideways around 2018.n - 2 or 3 maybe? Not sure.

If the audio-engine rewrite doesn't fix things I'm out - I'd love for it to work but I'm skeptical.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCProject ➡️
I have a 2015 MBP / quadcore 2.8ghz i7 - 16GB of RAM.

My PT sessions get the ****73 error 9 out of 10 times during a given playback. It's so frustrating. I've gone back to Logic even though I prefer PT. The difference in performance is HUGE. PT can't handle 10 tracks and 20 plugins w/o breaking. I can go nuts in LPX - 40+ tracks, plugins and VIs used at-will and w/o issue. The laptop chugs along happily.

This is a recent phenomena - this same setup work fine with PT for many years. I think it started going sideways around 2018.n - 2 or 3 maybe? Not sure.

If the audio-engine rewrite doesn't fix things I'm out - I'd love for it to work but I'm skeptical.
If they don't fix it soon...I'm already getting prepared to go into cubase. I feel like is the more complete of the alternatives but who knows. But I will miss many things I learned in PT in only 1 month.
The funny thing is that the most important new feature is the increasing of voices...I cannot play 20 tracks....I really don't get it.
Old 9th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Alistair
I'd really like to know how to do this. I bought Cubase 10 recently and haven't had time to learn it properly (lack of time with current projects). I can do that in REAPER and it's fundamental in my workflow. If you prefer to talk about this via PM please go ahead. Thanks in advance.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes absolutely, I use it all the time.

Nope. Cubase can't freeze group tracks.

Alistair

As mainly a PT user, I got Cubase X some months back, and must say, it is most impressive. From it's great looks to its articulation maps, to it's super quick and smooth back and forward speed controls, everything about it feels like I'm in a Mercedes lol...and I barely know what I'm doing in it yet...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➡️
Though my response wasn't directed at you you seem to have absorbed it and I'm not sure why.
I neither took anything personally by your comments, nor meant anything personal by choosing to quote you. I was just following along, and then decided to jump in after a couple of your statements.

Quote:
No, I don't care which DAW you use, nor was I suggesting one or the other...
Well...you were a little bit (not me, per se, but people in general, I suppose)...

Quote:
Logic has a learning curve when you're coming from PT.
All programs have a learning curve, no matter where you're coming from.

Quote:
There were three times when I tried to convert but I didn't have the time or patience to learn it.
Fair play for persisting!

Quote:
...you'll find it far more intuitive than PT and prefer most things about it.
So three or four attempts is "intuitive?" What's intuitive to you may be counter-intuitive to others. That's life with the complexities of the human brain.

And who will, "prefer most things about it?" Me? Some people?? Everybody???

Quote:
...with recent versions I've found editing to be nearly as good as PT, and in some cases better...
Now Avid's in REAL trouble; editing would probably be the ONE area even the most hardened PT haters (which I'm not calling you) would say it is at least OK at.

Quote:
So we see a lot of people defending PT because it's what they use, and... well... pride.
Perfectly natural, no? If someone was told, 'you shouldn't wear those clothes, these other ones are way cooler,' they'd probably have something similar to say. Or... 'WHAT... you order pizza from there? Man, you should order from here...its WAY better!' Well... I've ordered from there off and on for 20 years, but I prefer this one.

It also isn't just a PT phenomenon. Logic, Cubase, whatever owners come to defense of their weapon of choice, too.

Quote:
Most of the time it's, 'well, I chose DAW "A" so DAW "A" is the impervious to criticism.'
Well that is just ignorance, and is found far beyond the audio/DAW world. Fortunately, the vast majority of PT (Logic, Cubase...) users identify MANY ways their DAW of choice can be improved.

Quote:
Improvements don't come when people remain silent about their issues/wishes.
There is NOTHING silent about the internet!

I'm sure every DAW manufacturer have lists to keep busy for YEARS! There will never be a universal BEST DAW. Each individual will have a 'best' for themselves...their clients, if they have some. The reasons why matter to no one but themselves. If someone is happy, and productive, with what they choose, why should it matter to anyone else?

All DAWs innovate. They all steal... er, borrow... from one another. Plenty of capable choices these days. Hallelujah!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I also just updated to Cubase 10 (from 7) but it makes me pull out my hair in frustration when editing audio. Also, it has a badly written manual. Love the midi though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I’ve been running into a problem on my last PT session where my machines running at around 30-35% but it’s freezing at times saying I have too many native plugins or at other times it’s saying it can’t get info from the hard drives fast enough.
Any ideas of some tips? Session is 44.1 and 1028 buffer size. 12 core Mac Pro w/ 48gb ram. Cache set to Normal.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Music ➡️
I’ve been running into a problem on my last PT session where my machines running at around 30-35% but it’s freezing at times saying I have too many native plugins or at other times it’s saying it can’t get info from the hard drives fast enough.
Any ideas of some tips? Session is 44.1 and 1028 buffer size. 12 core Mac Pro w/ 48gb ram. Cache set to Normal.
Have you updated ANYTHING recently?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Have you updated ANYTHING recently?
Added Avid Link and updated to the newest Pro Tools. I’m on a subscription.

Last edited by Led Music; 9th February 2019 at 05:23 PM..
📝 Reply