The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
It is impossible
Old 2nd October 2022
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
It is impossible

A client brought this in and wanted it transferred to an MP3. I told her it was impossible.

This is the first time I have seen a 7" Acetate disc. FWIW
Attached Thumbnails
It is impossible-record.jpg  
Old 2nd October 2022
Gear Maniac

The Fonoteka in Lugano/Switzerland has a special system for rescuing these, I am pretty sure they could do it.
The way it works is two-fold: first the disk is photographed with a high resolution camera. The software part then reconstructs the content. It can rejoin fragmented bits and even reconstruct missing bits (by using audio from before and after). I have seen the system in action, it works, even with completely fragmented acetate discs.
Old 2nd October 2022
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thanks for the heads up. This client is overly concerned about our hourly charges so I doubt she would go for sending something to Switzerland. But I will ask. Thanks again for the information...
Old 3rd October 2022
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
It doesnt look like a complete lost cause. There looks like 30 seconds or so of continuous microgroove audio at the end, and the possibility of retrieving the sections but not the gaps of course. If what looks like the black pieces of missing laminate were still available there'd be at least the chance of an almost complete capture.

Failing that, I guess the groove sections could be captured one at a time, using a DJ's slip-mat start technique for each groove. Doable with a stylus if the laminate stayed put. Maybe regluing the edges of the laminate to the core would be possible to help prevent more delamination. For safety and control, I would play it at original speed or even slower. Some US Talking Book speech discs were recorded at 8 RPM. Otherwise, yes a photographic technique. Potentially much safer.

This is real audio extraction. Not for wimps or those looking for a quick buck. If unsure, I'd be honest with the customer that it was probably beyond my skills/gear, and refer them to someone with the appropriate skills and knowledge.
Old 3rd October 2022 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtape ➡️
It doesnt look like a complete lost cause. There looks like 30 seconds or so of continuous microgroove audio at the end, and the possibility of retrieving the sections but not the gaps of course. If what looks like the black pieces of missing laminate were still available there'd be at least the chance of an almost complete capture.

Failing that, I guess the groove sections could be captured one at a time, using a DJ's slip-mat start technique for each groove. Doable with a stylus if the laminate stayed put. Maybe regluing the edges of the laminate to the core would be possible to help prevent more delamination. For safety and control, I would play it at original speed or even slower. Some US Talking Book speech discs were recorded at 8 RPM. Otherwise, yes a photographic technique. Potentially much safer.

This is real audio extraction. Not for wimps or those looking for a quick buck. If unsure, I'd be honest with the customer that it was probably beyond my skills/gear, and refer them to someone with the appropriate skills and knowledge.
I am told it is a 78 rpm record. I have not confirmed that. The pieces of acetate are long gone so there is no hope of reattaching them. If the client wants to pursue other options that is up to her. I will give the record back to her with the information provided by JGebauer about the Swiss firm. This is way above my area of expertise and I will tell the client she should go elsewhere. This particular client is not one to spend any money so I doubt she will seek someone else to do the transfer.

In some future time I hope that records like this will be transferable without major cost but probably not.

Thanks for your helpful input.
Old 3rd October 2022
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
This is probably the only commercial place in the US that could do this, using IRENE.

https://www.nedcc.org/audio-preservation/irene
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Willens ➡️
This is probably the only commercial place in the US that could do this, using IRENE.

https://www.nedcc.org/audio-preservation/irene
Thanks!!! I will share this with my client but she is very careful about spending money so I am not sure what her reaction will be.

Thanks again for the link!
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➡️
Thanks!!! I will share this with my client but she is very careful about spending money so I am not sure what her reaction will be.

Thanks again for the link!
Yeah, it’s definitely not cheap to recover the whole thing, but they should be able to assess it and do a cheap sample of what they could recover.

Even on the remaining grooves, doing a physical play could still make the problem worse. The adhesive underneath the lacquer is probably very unstable right now.

Is there program on the back? Could that be recovered?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Willens ➡️
Yeah, it’s definitely not cheap to recover the whole thing, but they should be able to assess it and do a cheap sample of what they could recover.

Even on the remaining grooves, doing a physical play could still make the problem worse. The adhesive underneath the lacquer is probably very unstable right now.

Is there program on the back? Could that be recovered?
There is some material on the other side. I am skittish about playing it due to the acetate "problem" and it coming off since the lacquer is, as you put it, unstable. I told the client that I would "try" but was not guaranteeing any success. The last time I tried to do something like this I messed up my stylus and it cost me a lot to replace it. I also told the client that if I ruined the stylus they would be responsible. I will let you know what happens. Thanks for your help...
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…