The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 Firewire Woes (crackling sound, distorted audio)
Old 21st February 2014

🎧 5 years
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 Firewire Woes (crackling sound, distorted audio)

Hey guys,
So I've been searching the net for a while on this issue and have tried just about everything. I'm about to throw up my hands and just get a USB interface. I hope someone can get me on the right track before that happens.

First of all my setup:

Software:
Win7 x64
Reaper with a handful of VSTs
Saffire MixControl 3.3

Hardware:
intel i7 3770k
MSI Z77A-G45 motherboard
16GB ram
POWERCOLOR AX7850 Video Card
TP-LINK TL-WN881ND PCIe WiFi card
SYBA SD-PEX30009 PCIe Firewire card with TI chipset
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40

I'm using the unit to record guitar at this point and I'm having the crackle/distorted audio issues plagued by many. The unit will work fine for 1min to 15mins then the audio signal will get all garbled. If I restart reaper, power cycle the focusrite unit or change the settings for the unit in the Reaper ASIO settings it will work for another 1-15 mins.

Here's what I've done to try and fix the issue with no luck:
-Changed latency and sample rates
-Switched between normal and legacy firewire drivers
-Tried VIA chipset PCIe Firewire Card
-Tried all Firewire ports on PC and unit
-Disabled all PC power saving features
-Uninstalled and reinstalled Focusrite Drivers
-Verified all software and firmware is up to date

From what I've read what I'm experiencing is a FW syncing issue but can't figure out whats causing it. I really really really want to get this thing working, but I need to get down to recording soon and if I can't figure this out I'll have to turn to a USB interface.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Update: I managed to get my hands on a Firestudio from a friend to test and it exhibits the same symptoms. I have a little 2x2 USB presonus audiobox that has no issues, but not really happy with features and overall performance.

Last edited by evilsweeps; 21st February 2014 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: report new findings
Old 27th May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
First, make sure the sample rate in all software matches the hardware. From the list of things you've tried, I expect you are past this, but its a 'gotta'.

Next, call up Windows Resource Monitor. Its on the Start Menu, under All Programs Accessories>System Tools. See what's hitting your machine the hardest, be it CPU, Disk, RAM, or Network, using the graphs.

Be aware that Resource Monitor itself will create a load on the box. Once you have the issues down to one subsystem, you're going to have to roll up your sleeves and start looking into individual processes online to determine whats causing your audio buffers to fall short.

You might also try Focusrite Support. Hit them early in the morning, their time, and give them time to figure things out. Stay on em, but don't push too hard.

Hope this helps.
Old 31st May 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
In Bios turn off over clocking if you have it otherwise get a new computer .These issues are rarely interface related . I had same problem . My interface worked fine on my old computer but when I upgraded I started getting clicks . After trying every thing I just bought a Second hand computer off ebay for $400 and used it solely for recording and haven't had a issue since .
πŸ“ Reply