The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
how to print to track in pro tools
Old 2nd October 2012

🎧 10 years
how to print to track in pro tools

Well ive been using bounced files for a while and i want to try something new that ive been hearing people been using rather than the bouncing option is printing the track. I feel like when i bounce my files they dont sound as full and clear as my live pro tools mix. I want to know what printing to track actually does and i wonder if theres steps into doing this i looked everywhere but couldnt find the answer to my question.

And yes when i bring my 24 bit option down to 16 bit and 48 k down to 44.1 i make sure to dither on a master track but i still get the less fuller sound quality than the live mix and i make sure im not double dithering but going inside preferences and taking off the automatic dither option.
Old 2nd October 2012

🎧 15 years
Route all of your tracks into another track. Route that track to your output.

So your drums, guitars etc all go to "bus1 2" (for example) and the input of the channel to mix TO is bus 1 2. The output of that channel leads to your outputs.
Old 2nd October 2012

🎧 10 years
BTW, just so there's no confusion, what you're referring to is usually called "Bounce to Track," as opposed to "Bounce to Disk."

"Printing tracks" usually means recording individual tracks, with processing/effects (aka "wet"), to another track.
Old 2nd October 2012
RiF
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For printing a mix (vs bouncing a mix) in Pro Tools, you route every track to an Aux (mine is called "MIX") instead of directly to the outputs or a master fader.
Then you set up an audio track (mine is called "MIXDOWN") with the input set to a bus (mine is called "Mixdown"). A pre-fader send from the "MIX" Aux is sent to the bus "Mixdown" to feed that bus with your mix's audio.

Mark the whole track, arm the MIXDOWN track for recording and record. Then you can export the audio region.
Old 2nd October 2012

🎧 10 years
Why the need for the Aux bus? I just go straight to an audio track like narcoman described. Any 2bus processing would go on the master fader.
Old 2nd October 2012 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 ➑️
Why the need for the Aux bus? I just go straight to an audio track like narcoman described. Any 2bus processing would go on the master fader.
I do it the same way as you most of the time - but there are things you could do with an AUX buss. The inserts are pre fader, for example, and you could send a further "send" of the mix for different versions. I do this giving a "mix of the stems" (distinct from the mixbuss mix) and for 5.1 simultaneous folddowns.

Gets a bit confusing if you're not on top of it though!! heh
Old 2nd October 2012
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 ➑️
I use the method of sending everything to an aux first because then all I have to do is switch the output of the aux from the master faded to the stereo audio track I'm bouncing to, instead of having to reroute all the audio tracks.
Old 2nd October 2012
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Also, if you have been bouncing to disk in the past and are now switching to printing to disk, you gotta remove your dither plugin from the end of the chain, because exporting the final stereo track in pt will automatically add dither. No need to dither twice.
Old 6th October 2012 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF ➑️
For printing a mix (vs bouncing a mix) in Pro Tools, you route every track to an Aux (mine is called "MIX") instead of directly to the outputs or a master fader.
Then you set up an audio track (mine is called "MIXDOWN") with the input set to a bus (mine is called "Mixdown"). A pre-fader send from the "MIX" Aux is sent to the bus "Mixdown" to feed that bus with your mix's audio.

Mark the whole track, arm the MIXDOWN track for recording and record. Then you can export the audio region.
going to try this baby out so much knowledge thank you.

🎧 10 years
ok i got everything down printed the track and everything what do i do next and what do you mean by export. because i highlighted the recorded printed track and went to the menu and clicked on export and it only shows midi option. I just need help on what to do after i print my track in the session.
Old 6th October 2012
You don't have to bounce or export. When you print to a new track the mix will be in your audio folder ready to go as a wav or aiff. Only if you want to down sample or add some limiting/maximizing after the fact do you have to bounce or export and dither is only needed if your downsampling.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by daez ➑️
You don't have to bounce or export. When you print to a new track the mix will be in your audio folder ready to go as a wav or aiff. Only if you want to down sample or add some limiting/maximizing after the fact do you have to bounce or export and dither is only needed if your downsampling.
I got it down i was too impatient so i went on google i did some research and found out what i had to do.
Old 6th October 2012

🎧 10 years
πŸ“ Reply