The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to find the average frequency (hz) of a portion of music?
Old 26th March 2018

🎧 5 years
How to find the average frequency (hz) of a portion of music?

The title pretty much says it all. I want to be able to play a portion of music and have something tell me, what frequency it would be over that duration if I were to average it out to one frequency. Thanks guys
Old 26th March 2018

🎧 5 years
Are you trying to find the pitch of a certain sound? I use a piano for this. I can't see how this information would be useful over, say, the length of a song. What are you trying to accomplish?
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonebize ➑️
The title pretty much says it all. I want to be able to play a portion of music and have something tell me, what frequency it would be over that duration if I were to average it out to one frequency. Thanks guys
I'd have to agree with DSwaltz in that more information is required here...

If I understand you correctly, my initial thought would be why would you want to do that?
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
It almost sounds like you wanna try to train your ears through looking at a device that tells you what frequency You're actively listening to.. correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're trying to train your ears.. there's a ton of info here on GS to guide you. Best thing to do is practice mixing. You'll eventually be able to determine what goes where.

Good luck! Hope this helps
Old 26th March 2018

🎧 15 years
Simple. Use a Frequency analyzer. You can download a copy of Voxengo Span for free. Free Spectrum Analyzer Plugin, FFT, Real-Time [VST, AU, AAX] - SPAN | Voxengo Just realize the complexity of the program does cause a slight delay in the display screen when you're watching things. You may for example want to either solo or loop the part you're wanting to view so you get a better idea of what you are looking at.

As another method, less accurate, you can download a frequency analyzer to a cell phone and view whats coming from your speakers too.

The third method typically used when mixing involves using an EQ. You can use a high pass filter and move it up until you hear the bass starting to be affected, then use a low pass filter and bring it down in frequency until you hear it affecting your treble tones. Between the two you'd then know where the frequencies begin and end.

This method isn't going to give you a very good picture of what's going on in between which is why I recommend and Frequency analyzer because you get to see everything. You'll also realize notes aren't just made up of pitches. Pure pitches like sine waves may produce very narrow frequencies but just amount any other instrument is going to be far more complex and include higher order harmonics far above the fundamental notes and therefore have much wider frequency responses.
Old 27th March 2018

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the responses.

I'm not simply looking for the fundamental frequency of any given portion of music. I'm looking for, if you were to average each and every frequency in the spectrum, taking into account its amplitude, what would be the average frequency.

Obviously something like SPAN can show the entire frequency spectrum, and can include a graph of the average array of frequencies over a period of time. But do you know if SPAN can tell what the average frequency is for that portion of music?

EDIT: The application for this isn't mixing. I just thought I'd post it here assuming there might be some spectrum analyzer that does it.

Thanks guys,
jonebize

Last edited by jonebize; 27th March 2018 at 12:07 AM.. Reason: Forgot a note
Old 27th March 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

I'm not simply looking for the fundamental frequency of any given portion of music. I'm looking for, if you were to average each and every frequency in the spectrum, taking into account its amplitude, what would be the average frequency.

Obviously something like SPAN can show the entire frequency spectrum, and can include a graph of the average array of frequencies over a period of time. But do you know if SPAN can tell what the average frequency is for that portion of music?

EDIT: The application for this isn't mixing. I just thought I'd post it here assuming there might be some spectrum analyzer that does it.

Thanks guys,
jonebize
You still havent explained why you're trying to do this..
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonebize
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshProduce ➑️
You still havent explained why you're trying to do this..
Indeed. The "average frequency" is a pretty meaningless metric to those of us who are using these analyzers. Any given portion of music has notes that are constantly changing, whose overtones are constantly changing.

you could have a piece of music that has just kick drum and cymbals, and because one is very high and the other is very low, the "average" might be in the middle - let's say 1kHz - because they cancel out. . Meanwhile another piece of music that has a crapload of guitars and so on might have the same "average" - 1kHz even though it is totally different spectrum-wise.

A cumulative buildup in one frequency might be perceived as 'fatiguing' - but an average is just a calculation. You could have something like that Kick and Cymbal song - that 'averaged' out at 1 kHz even though not one note on any instrument actually played 1 kHz. That would not be 'fatiguing' in the same way that a piece of music with a lot of tones right around there would be. Yet they could have identical averages.

And how long is the segment? If there was a cymbal crash at the end of a 20 second segment the average is going to be thrown off compared to examining the first 15 seconds of the exact same clip.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Thanks guys,
jonebize
I still can't think of any practical application for requiring the average frequency of a sample of a complex sound, hence it's unlikely there's a piece of consumer gear or software that would do it.

Perhaps if you explained what you're trying to achieve with the resulting data and why you might get a better appraisal?
Old 27th March 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
SoX gives you a figure for "rough frequency" ("stat" command)...which i assume would be the average frequency of the file.
i find it to be hit or miss (wouldn't trust it, really)
(i thought i've seen a similar feature somewhere else but i cant remember now)
πŸ“ Reply