The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I bought a 48v phantom power for my BM800 and it made it 1000x worse
Old 13th August 2017

🎧 5 years
I bought a 48v phantom power for my BM800 and it made it 1000x worse

So i bought my BM800, that came with a XLR to 3.5mm cable, and the performance was ok, but not the best, so after a few researches, i bought a 48v phantom power, and when i connect it, i get ONLY noise, can't even record my voice or anything. I connected the condenser to the phantom power, and the phantom power directly to my pc 3.5mm. Is something i could do to fix this out?
Old 13th August 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenofreza ➡️
So i bought my BM800, that came with a XLR to 3.5mm cable, and the performance was ok, but not the best, so after a few researches, i bought a 48v phantom power, and when i connect it, i get ONLY noise, can't even record my voice or anything. I connected the condenser to the phantom power, and the phantom power directly to my pc 3.5mm. Is something i could do to fix this out?
It may be an issue with the mic, but the 3.5mm mic/line jack on the computer likely isn't helping and may be the problem. I would suggest getting yourself a decent USB interface that has proper mic preamps. I don't have one, but the Behringer interfaces seem to be getting fairly good reviews and are not all that expensive if you don't want to spend a bunch of money. Most all interfaces have 48v phantom, so you could return the phantom power box you bought.
Old 14th August 2017

🎧 15 years
You'll never get great results trying to record a condenser mic with the inbuilt 3.5mm input to your average computer.

A cheap interface isn't much more than your mic (I didn't even know they could make mics that cheap..). It'll fix all your woes.

I can't imagine what the cabling is trying to do to your signal, but it's not going to be pretty..
Old 15th August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not only get yourself an interface, but also a proper XLR to XLR mic cable.
Old 15th August 2017
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
the BM800 is an electret condenser mic. The element in an electret mic carries a permanent electrical charge sealed within an insulating film. It does not require external phantom power. The 48v box you bought is not applicable to this mic.

A 'regular' capacitor mic needs power from somewhere to charge the plates. The preamp, a mixer, internal batteries, one of those boxes. In fact if you had a normal condenser mic, it would not work at all without the phantom power.
Old 15th August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➡️
the BM800 is an electret condenser mic. The element in an electret mic carries a permanent electrical charge sealed within an insulating film. It does not require external phantom power. The 48v box you bought is not applicable to this mic.

A 'regular' capacitor mic needs power from somewhere to charge the plates. The preamp, a mixer, internal batteries, one of those boxes. In fact if you had a normal condenser mic, it would not work at all without the phantom power.
Most any condenser mic needs some sort of 'phantom' to power the internal electronics (preamp) of the mic including an electret. Using the XLR to 3.5mm cable with the BM800, the power for the electronics comes from the 'plugin power' (around 5vdc) of the computers mic jack. When using the XLR to XLR cable with the BM800 power needs to be supplied from a source that provides what is commonly refereed to as 'phantom' and does some magic internally to regulate/reduce the 48 volts to what its electronics uses. A 'phantom box' or other source of phantom is needed for the BM800 when used as a conventional XLR-XLR connected mic.

One example of a capacitor/condenser mic with an electret element is an AT2020 and there are other as well. These all require phantom.
Attached Thumbnails
I bought a 48v phantom power for my BM800 and it made it 1000x worse-at2020.jpg  
Old 15th August 2017

🎧 15 years
Here's the specs on that mic. I'm see nothing about it running on 48V phantom power. All it says is this.

Quote:
Generally speaking, a lot of desktop and portable machines needs a 3V voltage, while our microphone's voltage should be above 5V. Use the microphone alone can't reach a perfect result. It's recommended to use it with an external audio card.
That mic is simply a windows mic inside a fancy capsule. Instead it looking like a cheap karaoke mic they fancied it up to look like a large diaphragm condenser to sucker people into buying it. (thereby the low cost) It should only be run on the 5V form a standard windows card provides. By connecting it to a 48V supply you likely smoked the mic thereby the noise and distortion.

If the mic ran on 48 V it would be listed in the specs below. You see these kinds of mics listed on ebay all the time. They make them to look like a pro mic but they are nothing but cheap assed junk. Take it as a Lesson learned. You get what you pay when you don't know what you're buying. You could have saved allot of wasted time and money simply by asking. You can buy all kinds of great used mics mics at low cost on EBay. Don't get suckered into these consumer traps. They are as prevalent as the emails scams from Nigeria that ask for your bank account number.

Specifications:

Polar pattern: unidirectional
Frequency response: 20Hz-16kHz
Sensitivity: -38dB±2dB (0dB=1V/Pa at 1kHz)
Output impedance:150Ω±30%(at 1kHz)
Load impedance:≥1000Ω
Equivalent noise level: 16dBA
Maximum sound pressure level: 132dB(at 1kHz≤1%T.H.D)
Signal noise ratio: 78db
Electrical current: 3mA
Weight: 0.70lbs
Size: 1.8" x 5.9"
Material: metal
Cable length:98.42"
Old 15th August 2017

🎧 5 years
You're not likely to get any really good sound from a sub-$20 mic in the first place. There's probably a very good reason why they named it the BM 800.
Old 15th August 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Depending on the source specs for the BM-800.

Connecting to an "electrical outlet" is evidently recommended

https://www.amazon.com/Excelvan-BM-8.../dp/B00KMKIR9Y

"Please Note:
1. 48V phantom power adapter is not included.
2. Not suit for mobile phone and tablet computer.
3.Please put the microphone away from the amplifier while recording to prevent noise recorded.
4. Connecting with desktop computer, it can be used separately; But if with laptop computer, please connect to electrical outlet or use a 48V phantom power supply to make the sound much clearer and higher.

Introduction:
This microphone with a good cardioids polar pickup pattern, high output, low self-noise, suitable especially for studios, recording studios, broadcasting stations, adage performances and computer.
Ideal as main and support microphone for studio and live applications.

Specification:
Brand: Excelvan
Sensitivity: 45dB±1dB
Electrical current: 3mA
Polar Pattern: Uni-directional
Load impedance: ≥1000 Ω
Equivalent Noise level: 16dBA
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz
Output Impedance:1500Ω±30%(at 1kHz)
Microphone output interface: 3.5mm
Use of voltage: 48V phantom power supply
Wire: 3.5 inserted audio interface, 3 meter long
Microphone Material: Steel net + Zinc alloy hand holding part"

I've seen a few good reviews of this mic and similar iterations of it. Evidently quality control is very lacking and it may take a couple tries to get a good working one. A BM-700 is not on my bucket list.

But then why would a dynamic mic need phantom?
Attached Thumbnails
I bought a 48v phantom power for my BM800 and it made it 1000x worse-bm800.jpg  
Old 24th July 2020
Here for the gear

Hey guys! i just found this post about the bm800.
I am using Reaper and the audio interface does not seem to recognize it. Do you guys have any idea of why is that?
Thanks!
Old 24th July 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauro_vedder ➡️
Hey guys! i just found this post about the bm800.
I am using Reaper and the audio interface does not seem to recognize it. Do you guys have any idea of why is that?
Thanks!
What is the interface, are you using an XLR to XLR cable, and do you have the phantom power enabled to power the mic?
Is the interface recognized in Reaper and shown in the audio device setup?
Old 24th July 2020
Lives for gear

Get a Behringer UMC404HD and don't look back! High quality audio for the price of a good meal.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mauro, I suggest you read post number 7 above.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzomixer ➡️
Mauro, I suggest you read post number 7 above.
These are condensor electret element mics that either need 'plugin power (bias voltage)' from a computers 3.5mm microphone input or from an XLR preamp/interface providing phantom power. The internals of the mic convert/condition the voltage so as to work on either. See my above post 9 for the BM800 specs. Whether sounds better on plugin power or phantom might be questionable, but people have used it on phantom and it does function.
Old 26th September 2020
Here for the gear

is the Zingyou ZY-801 suitable for live performances?
Old 26th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjohnson. ➡️
is the Zingyou ZY-801 suitable for live performances?
If by 'live performances' you mean on a stage singing or similar, the answer would be no. Get a good handheld dynamic microphone.
I wouldn't even recommend the Zingyou ZY-801 for a studio or podcasting.
Old 27th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I understand people are just starting out, but seriously a mic from wish? I wish I was young and starting out in this generation again.
Old 27th September 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Ah yes. Brings back memories of my first attempt at audio recording back in 1998. Not a huge market for amateurs back then. Being 18, poor and naive I got the Soundblaster Live! which had an (for the time being) impressive s/n ratio and it even shipped with a mic (so I thought I could save on that). It quickly turned out that the mic was clearly the weakest part. I had to re-learn to sing in a very weird and gentle way to avoid distortion.

Ah the money I’ve wasted on too cheap stuff. Once you buy it cheap you buy it twice.
Old 28th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninecows ➡️
Ah yes. Brings back memories of my first attempt at audio recording back in 1998. Not a huge market for amateurs back then. Being 18, poor and naive I got the Soundblaster Live! which had an (for the time being) impressive s/n ratio and it even shipped with a mic (so I thought I could save on that). It quickly turned out that the mic was clearly the weakest part. I had to re-learn to sing in a very weird and gentle way to avoid distortion.

Ah the money I’ve wasted on too cheap stuff. Once you buy it cheap you buy it twice.
I had aureal vortex. Hooked my cheap preamp directly into it and didn't know no better. However it sounded surprising clear compared to some cheaper interfaces now a days
📝 Reply