Quantcast
Help with setting up my MIDI studio. Logic X, Mackie MCU, Arturia Spark, etc... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help with setting up my MIDI studio. Logic X, Mackie MCU, Arturia Spark, etc...
Old 12th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Help with setting up my MIDI studio. Logic X, Mackie MCU, Arturia Spark, etc...

I use the Mackie MCU Pro system (MCU, XT & C4) as a control surface for Logic X on OS X 10.9.

The MCU is connected via USB to my Mac. The XT & C4 extensions are both connected to the MCU's MIDI I/O via MIDI cables.

I also have Arturia Spark CDM 1.7.1 and a Roland A-49 keyboard both also connected via USB to my Mac.

I have Spark setup exactly as described in Arturia's document on Logic X setup.

My issue is, when I open a Logic X project containing Spark as a plugin, the MCU control surface seems to work perfectly fine until I select the track containg Spark and the Spark hardware controller "connects" to the plugin. After that, I get a big delay receiving feedback data on the MCU from Logic. As in, LEDs lighting etc. Further, I sometimes encounter delays with Spark. Like when hitting the pads, a latency with the sound. Plus sometimes Spark triggers things on my MCU.

Also, once Spark has connected to the hardware. If I select a different track in Logic, MIDI arm a different instrument, when I use Spark hardware, it triggers Spark plugin and the instrument on the selected track. I'd like to have the data not overlap with the devices.

If possible...

- I'd like to have my MCU control surfaces always control Logic X with no overlapping data from other devices if possible.

- I'd like my Roland A-49 to control any MIDI armed track in my session (including Spark when that track is MIDI armed, if necessary)

- I'd like Spark CDM to only control the Spark plugin with no data controlling any other instruments and also control Spark plugin even if a different instrument is MIDI armed.

Can someone more experienced with MIDI configuring tell me how I should optimize my communication in my MIDI studio. Using either the Audio/MIDI Utility or Logic X settings?

I also posted in Arturia's forum... Any help is much appreciated!
Old 12th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Although the Arturia document says to enable "Send MIDI from sequencer" & "Send MIDI from Pads" within Spark. I found that disabling both fixed all my problems I stated above.
📝 Reply