Quantcast
Logic Pro X - the things that got taken away, what are they and is there better? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Logic Pro X - the things that got taken away, what are they and is there better?
Old 7th March 2014
  #1
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Logic Pro X - the things that got taken away, what are they and is there better?

I love logic pro so far, the soundbank is awesome and haven't experienced problems with latency or anything yet (hopefully never lol). But I notice some eqs and reverbs have been removed, such as the fat eq and platinum verb, etc.

So I was wondering, what other things have been removed? And are there good substitutes for what has been taken away? I have used the fat eq and platinumverb in the past so I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are.

Thanks!
Old 7th March 2014
  #2
Gear Nut
 
fisherking's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
dude, the platinum reverb is still there. i never used the fat eq so not sure what it offered, but the channel eq has been improved and is great...
Old 8th March 2014
  #3
Gear Nut
 
seeren's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
If you hold option when clicking on the insert menu, you'll see a category at the bottom called Legacy. In there done be things like FatEQ, Goldverb, etc.
Old 10th March 2014
  #4
Lives for gear
 
timtoonz's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
user icons removed, which kinda sucks. And "create track with next channel" doesn't work the way it used to, which personally drives me nuts but I can see how most people wouldn't give a dang about it.

I'm also not sure, but it seems the way 'link views' used to work has gone. So now it's a bit mysterious how to get mixer windows to follow (or not follow, if you choose) the arrange window.
Old 10th March 2014
  #5
Lives for gear
 
EdgarRothermich's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
There are many things that got removed, restricted or changed.

My main issue is with the color picker that restricts to only a few colors and you cannot set your own color via the color swatch in the standard OSX Color Panel.

Another big one is the Chord Global Track - MIA. I used that all the time to have the chord charts up while recordeing other tracks.

Here is another one: You cannot name a Track separately. It is now more combined with the ill-fated attempt to pretend that a Track is the same as Channel Strip, which is not the case.
Old 10th March 2014 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarRothermich ➑️
There are many things that got removed, restricted or changed.
Yes, I could list 30-40 things which used to be possible in simpler/faster in earlier versions of Logic, but it would somehow feel like a waste of time.



Quote:
...the color picker that restricts to only a few colors and you cannot set your own color via the color swatch in the standard OSX Color Panel.
+1

Quote:
Another big one is the Chord Global Track - MIA. I used that all the time to have the chord charts up while recordeing other tracks.
My blind assumption is that they'll come back with a better kind of chord track, the old one had an tendency to show chord descriptions hitherto unknown to mankind. :-) But it would of course have been better if they implemented a better solution before they removed the existing one.

Quote:
Here is another one: You cannot name a Track separately. It is now more combined with the ill-fated attempt to pretend that a Track is the same as Channel Strip, which is not the case.
Yes, you need to have a Channel Strip appear twice an the project for the Track Name option to pop up (or open an old song). They probably think that if a Channel Strip only appears once, you can just add some words to the Channel strip name instead of having a separate Track Name feature. But that's more cumbersome, and sometimes it's more useful to just have a list of track names instead of a list of channel strip names. Using the track name feature, I used to replace 'meaningless' patch names with something more more descriptive, which was useful if you eg had three bass sound os three pad patches with different function in an Arrangement.

But Logic and track (and patch) names features have always been messy. After 20 years, it's still not possible to have a global set of preset names for external MIDI gear; a list which automatically shows up in all songs.

Don't get me wrong: in spite of being disappointed with LPX, I (of course) see that there are many minor improvements in there as well. And in terms of track names, there is a useful Track Comment feature (from Logic 9?) in the Mixer which some people aren't aware (those comments aren't available in Arrange. Too bad). In Logic 10, on has to look at a "tall" track comment area in the Mixer even if you only used it for short/one-line track names. This, along with not being able to see the Tool Bar without also looking at the Transport bar, makes LPX less ideal for use with laptops than it would have been without these new restrictions.

LPX looks good (for the post part), though. But there are probably millions of DAW users out there, but there aren't released millions of great songs per year. It would be great if some of these DAWs, and Logic in particular, would see some major improvements in the song writing/compositional area. (Expecting a comment saying that one can great music with a pen and paper or with any recent version of any DAW out there to come up soon :-) )

Btw, there's another thread about omitted features in Logic Pro X here.

OTOH, sometimes it may not be worth the hassle to make sure all existing features are in a new version. Are someone, for instance, missing the Logic Node feature? (For the records: personally, I don't think the gone or now more cumbersome functionalities are the main things to be worried about when it comes to Logic's future or current version.)
Old 10th March 2014
  #7
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
I also have a question regarding Logic X features remove.
I`m thinking about getting X,now using 9.1.6 and pretty happy about it.
As a film composer I love the "detect cuts" feature,I`m using it with every project I compose.
I really wanted to know if its still there.
Apple doesn't say anything about it and I couldn't find any answer Online.
Old 10th March 2014
  #8
Gear Nut
 
fisherking's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
i dunno, but...am much happier in X than any previous logic version. track stacks alone makes it worthwhile.

but, the new eq is great. new sounds, drum kit designer (which i love); drummer is cool (but i don't use it). flex pitch. smart controls. midi effects.

am having too much fun in LX....
Old 10th March 2014
  #9
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
This is all interesting to me, as I've been using Logic since version 8 and kinda hated it until X came out. Now its my favorite DAW. Track stacks, the GUI, the ability to solo with hardware inserts, general cpu improvements/better multicore management (HUGE in my book) make it really inviting. I had to hunt down some things that were moved from 9, but most things seem to be there.

I've finally discovered what it is people liked about Logic, which is the ability to get writing instantly. I have to kind of laugh at nativeaudio's tag line. That is exactly what Logic X is good at, giving the ability to write good songs with little standing in the way.
Old 10th March 2014 | Show parent
  #10
Gear Nut
 
fisherking's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➑️
This is all interesting to me, as I've been using Logic since version 8 and kinda hated it until X came out. Now its my favorite DAW. Track stacks, the GUI, the ability to solo with hardware inserts, general cpu improvements/better multicore management (HUGE in my book) make it really inviting. I had to hunt down some things that were moved from 9, but most things seem to be there.

I've finally discovered what it is people liked about Logic, which is the ability to get writing instantly. I have to kind of laugh at nativeaudio's tag line. That is exactly what Logic X is good at, giving the ability to write good songs with little standing in the way.
first two weeks with X, the GUI made me dizzy
now, it just looks right, and musical (and 9 now looks like a spreadsheet or something).
Old 10th March 2014 | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➑️

I've finally discovered what it is people liked about Logic, which is the ability to get writing instantly. I have to kind of laugh at nativeaudio's tag line. That is exactly what Logic X is good at......
Hi there. :-)

There are many ways to write music, and IMO Logic is useful, even very useful for some of these methods - and for certain kinds of songs. But I don't think there's an universal truth (one which is valid for everybody) we're talking about - in term of what Logic is good at. To use an obvious example: For people who write music for large orchestras, there's at least one or two other program which is doing a much better job. But personally, I'm not thinking (only) about score features, but about many improvements which would have been at least as useful for the typical Piano Roll users.

Some people say that it's impossible to write music in Logic, others say the same about Sibelius or Finale. Life is generally a rather subjective experience...

I know music makers who have the opposite view (opposite of yours), and respect them for having different ideas about what a good program for composing and songwriting is than what eg. you have. My own findings: the programs we use influence the way we make music, and after just a few hours with another program, which I don't even like much, I found that some relatively small changes in Logic strongly would affect how I make music. In addition I have some own ideas for improvements.

I know about 3-4 other programs which have functionality which Logic doesn't have; options which I seriously think would improve the end results for many song writers and composers. I could post more details about this but won't do that here and now (I have posted some ideas earlier).

What I probably do disagree with you about is the idea that there's one program which due to some kind of magical law simply is great for composing for everybody, independent on what kind of music people want to write, their background/musical style, skills/lack of skills etc.

Bottom line for me: There's no reason *not* to improve Logic with the kind of songwriters in mind who want improvements and know which improvements they want. There's no reason not to improve Logic for those people who think it's perfect either. Nobody complained about not having DAWs in the 1960s, but everybody are using them now.... right? People don't miss what they don't know about.

And there are many reasons to improve Logic for those who want improvements in those areas: better workflow for more people, more focus on music instead of how to get there, more happy Logic users etc - which should result in a better market share for Apple as well.

I guess generally think that disagreeing with others' wishes for improvements in a DAW (or anywhere else) is waste of time, so I don't disagree with you: Logic IS "good at giving the ability to write good songs with little standing in the way" for you and an unknown percentage of other DAW users.

For another group of people, Logic would be a lot better off with some relatively small improvements - and that's true whether you are "almost laughing" at my signature or not. ;-) I am, btw, convinced that they won't change anything which makes the situation worse for you, even if they add the kind of changes others would like to see as well.

Many of those who aren't happy with Logic won't complain in threads like this, but rather make music using another tool (80% of all DAW users actually do prefer something else than Logic, most of them aren't even using Apple computers). Personally, I simply find Apple and Logic too... good to just let go of Logic and move to another DAW or to a combination of other programs. But I do dislike that Logic is developing at a much slower rate (in terms of the kind of features I discuss here) than it used to do.

The mysterious part for me, somehow related to such discussions, is... why would want to more or less argue against improvements in Logic or any other DAW - just because they don't personally need these improvements themselves - or don't see that they would be great to have?

Sometimes people get a new feature via an update - one they didn't miss or ask for, and call it a "godsend" after only a week with it. I'm 100% convinced that there would be many such situations if Apple would focus more on improving Logic as a song writing tool than they have done the last years. I'm also sure they'll do it, it's just a question about when. Lets talk in a few years.... :-)

There are IMHO more DAW users than there are good songs out there, so *anything* which would improve the musical aspect of the music we listen to be great.
Old 11th March 2014
  #12
Gear Maniac
 
KoMa's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
also after bouncing the track was added to the Logic playlist in iTunes. That's not the case anymore. Does anyone know if this is somehow possible to do, I found that feature pretty handy.
Old 11th March 2014
  #13
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
We can no longer add rests to a TAB score with 'slashes'….. So if I have set up a chord sheet for guitar as an example
we can no longer seem to add rests! It use to be that you could either drag rest(s) to the correct position but they no longer
show up in that channel for the score no matter what we do! They can be seen in the event editor but they don't show up
on the score page. and it doesn't matter what channel you set them to or also what position in the score they simply don't show
up even though they are visible in the event editor.. I think its a bug of some kind?

Also we use to be able to change the background colour of the score sheet right? now for one of my guys who is quite optically deficient
it is harder for him to view the score. when he could make it pure white he could see the score so much easier! That i son longer in any page
prefs it seems..
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
  #14
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Totally with you. I just found it funny as for me it has been more inviting as a writing DAW than any of the ones I've tried (PT, DP and Reaper). I never thought of a DAW as a writing tool until I dove in to Logic, and especially X. Given the layout/efficiency of creating new midi tracks with sounds that are usable, the drummer feature (I'm a drummer), the ok amp sims, etc. Works for me but sure that doesn't mean it works for everyone.

I want improvements too. The audio editing still sucks compared to any normal daw, and yes trying to print out a lead sheet from midi is laughable. I have faith in Apple though based on Logic X and the improvements thus far, I guess I'm an optimist.




Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio ➑️
Hi there. :-)

There are many ways to write music, and IMO Logic is useful, even very useful for some of these methods - and for certain kinds of songs. But I don't think there's an universal truth (one which is valid for everybody) we're talking about - in term of what Logic is good at. To use an obvious example: For people who write music for large orchestras, there's at least one or two other program which is doing a much better job. But personally, I'm not thinking (only) about score features, but about many improvements which would have been at least as useful for the typical Piano Roll users.

Some people say that it's impossible to write music in Logic, others say the same about Sibelius or Finale. Life is generally a rather subjective experience...

I know music makers who have the opposite view (opposite of yours), and respect them for having different ideas about what a good program for composing and songwriting is than what eg. you have. My own findings: the programs we use influence the way we make music, and after just a few hours with another program, which I don't even like much, I found that some relatively small changes in Logic strongly would affect how I make music. In addition I have some own ideas for improvements.

I know about 3-4 other programs which have functionality which Logic doesn't have; options which I seriously think would improve the end results for many song writers and composers. I could post more details about this but won't do that here and now (I have posted some ideas earlier).

What I probably do disagree with you about is the idea that there's one program which due to some kind of magical law simply is great for composing for everybody, independent on what kind of music people want to write, their background/musical style, skills/lack of skills etc.

Bottom line for me: There's no reason *not* to improve Logic with the kind of songwriters in mind who want improvements and know which improvements they want. There's no reason not to improve Logic for those people who think it's perfect either. Nobody complained about not having DAWs in the 1960s, but everybody are using them now.... right? People don't miss what they don't know about.

And there are many reasons to improve Logic for those who want improvements in those areas: better workflow for more people, more focus on music instead of how to get there, more happy Logic users etc - which should result in a better market share for Apple as well.

I guess generally think that disagreeing with others' wishes for improvements in a DAW (or anywhere else) is waste of time, so I don't disagree with you: Logic IS "good at giving the ability to write good songs with little standing in the way" for you and an unknown percentage of other DAW users.

For another group of people, Logic would be a lot better off with some relatively small improvements - and that's true whether you are "almost laughing" at my signature or not. ;-) I am, btw, convinced that they won't change anything which makes the situation worse for you, even if they add the kind of changes others would like to see as well.

Many of those who aren't happy with Logic won't complain in threads like this, but rather make music using another tool (80% of all DAW users actually do prefer something else than Logic, most of them aren't even using Apple computers). Personally, I simply find Apple and Logic too... good to just let go of Logic and move to another DAW or to a combination of other programs. But I do dislike that Logic is developing at a much slower rate (in terms of the kind of features I discuss here) than it used to do.

The mysterious part for me, somehow related to such discussions, is... why would want to more or less argue against improvements in Logic or any other DAW - just because they don't personally need these improvements themselves - or don't see that they would be great to have?

Sometimes people get a new feature via an update - one they didn't miss or ask for, and call it a "godsend" after only a week with it. I'm 100% convinced that there would be many such situations if Apple would focus more on improving Logic as a song writing tool than they have done the last years. I'm also sure they'll do it, it's just a question about when. Lets talk in a few years.... :-)

There are IMHO more DAW users than there are good songs out there, so *anything* which would improve the musical aspect of the music we listen to be great.
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
  #15
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➑️
I never thought of a DAW as a writing tool until I dove in to Logic, and especially X. Given the layout/efficiency of creating new midi tracks with sounds that are usable, the drummer feature (I'm a drummer), the ok amp sims, etc.
That sounds more like arranging/producing than composing to me. :-)


Quote:
The audio editing still sucks compared to any normal daw, and yes trying to print out a lead sheet from midi is laughable.
Poor Apple, I think that they have ignored the composing/song writing area too much, and you think they the audio editing sucks compared to any normal DAW. I think I disagree with that one - the audio editing in Logic is massively improved in many areas compared with how things were eg 5 years ago. One semi-hidden treasure in LPX is how you can use Flex Pitch to edit audio, even if you don't need to edit pitches much. I'm very disappointed with X in terms of several things (stability, how long it took to get that version out the users and more, but I'll gladly spend a post or two defending Logic's audio editing capabilities. Not that it's perfect, but it has gotten almost extreme amounts of focus compared with MIDI/Score editing and composing features.
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
  #16
Tui
Gear Guru
 
Tui's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➑️
The audio editing still sucks compared to any normal daw
"Normal" DAW?
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 3321 views: 871697
Avatar for Tronam
Tronam 30th January 2021
replies: 1188 views: 192877
Avatar for jonljacobi
jonljacobi 15th June 2019
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump