The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apple Logic X vs Cubase 7
Old 18th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
"Yawn", I just woke up! Looks like Cubase is still winning. I did read the thread about trying cubase out. You can try it for 30 days, but it's gonna cost you 30.00 for their ilok thingy, which sucks.
Old 18th July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovemode ➡️
"Yawn", I just woke up! Looks like Cubase is still winning. I did read the thread about trying cubase out. You can try it for 30 days, but it's gonna cost you 30.00 for their ilok thingy, which sucks.
Yeah, it sucks a bit, but at least you can use that for all the other eLicenser software like.... eh.... like..........
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLex ➡️
Yeah, it sucks a bit, but at least you can use that for all the other eLicenser software like.... eh.... like..........
+1
Deleted fe72b38
Actually an enormous plus for the Cubase mixer is text search for plugins.

It's not really been a much trumpeted feature but if you have hundreds of plugins from different developers like myself, being able to type in a couple of letters and have the plugin your looking for instantly come to the top of a short list is simply amazing and extremely time saving.

I don't think I could go back to mixing without plugin text search - it really is a great Cubase 7 feature.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor ➡️
Actually an enormous plus for the Cubase mixer is text search for plugins.

It's not really been a much trumpeted feature but if you have hundreds of plugins from different developers like myself, being able to type in a couple of letters and have the plugin your looking for instantly come to the top of a short list is simply amazing and extremely time saving.

I don't think I could go back to mixing without plugin text search - it really is a great Cubase 7 feature.
That is a big plus. Can you type is sound types (i.e. sub bass or compressor) or is it limited to the actual plugin name itself(i.e. kontakt, waves tune, etc)?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
ok, here´s another comparison LX vs. C7:

- the Arrange Window -

Logic X:

Cubase7*:

yes, both looking good...

(* remark: C7 = bigger screen resolution)

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshifter ➡️

- the Arrange Window -

Logic X:

Cubase7*:

Can you upload shots of the Mixers and metering?
Old 18th July 2013
roc
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
When you show up to Madison Square Garden to play EDM for thousand of people you don't show up with a PC , that would be a joke , you show up with a Mac period .
roc
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

- the Arrange Window -

Logic X:

Cubase7*:

Logic looks much more pleasing , I can clearly see the clock and transport,
It just has a better flow and color scheme .
Old 19th July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by roc ➡️
Logic looks much more pleasing , I can clearly see the clock and transport,
It just has a better flow and color scheme .
Deleted User
Quote:
When you show up to Madison Square Garden to play EDM for thousand of people you don't show up with a PC , that would be a joke , you show up with a Mac period .
I would hope you show up with more than that
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Here´s C7, with ORANGE Meters
(looks like Logic, I think?)

Cubase 7 Mix Console - features:

+ all-in-one-view: in/Out Routing, Gain, Phase, HiCut, LoCut/Pre Section/Inserts/Sends/EQ/ChannelStrips/Cue Sends...
+ left area: Channel´s Visibility/Zone Management
+ right area: ControlRoom / Big Master Metering (RMS, EBU128, K-Metering, etc.)
+ full scalable
+ Dual Panners (!)
+ full drag/drop support, new grouping, track icons, quick link, etc.

My opinion: one of the best mixer in these days. And much better than Logic´s. Yes.

C7MixConsole:
Nightshifter, this console is absolutely gorgeous. Awesome.
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
They all suck. Dr T's is the best. Bars and Pipes on the Amiga is not bad either.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracejames ➡️
Nightshifter, this console is absolutely gorgeous. Awesome.
It's delicious. Way better than Logic X IMO.
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
LX Flex Pitch vs Variaudio vs Waves Tune?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Why ask ? You already know that the answer, on this thread, will always be : Cubase. heh
Wich DAW is better : Cubase.
Wich DAW has the better XYZ : Cubase
Wich DAW sucks more : Cubase
Wich DAW : Cubase
Wich : Cubase.
Cubase.
What time is it : Cubase.
What should I name my kid : Cubase.
So I met this girl and : Cubase.

OFF TOPIC : LPX Flex Pitch has formants.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

This comment is soooo 10 years ago.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes, nice MS-DOS look... Perfect for some 8-bit chiptunes...
Oh wait ... you can mix music on an Excell spreadsheet now ?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
This makes it alot easier on the eyes in addition to being cool-looking.
I agree with the channel strip comments. They are very good EQs ala Sony Oxfords.

Quote:
All of them.
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think if someone is genuinely trying to decide between 2 ( or more ) DAW's, no amount of comments on X vs Y threads will really help. Because people are pitching based on THEIR individual needs. So the first thing to do, is to really know what YOUR needs are, first and foremost.

Then you demo the damn things. You never really know what the experience is until you go through it. Yeah I know, no demo for LPX, so that sucks. Try it in an Apple Store if you can. And the elicenser key is not that expensive, since you can also use it for ..eh...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman ➡️
I think if someone is genuinely trying to decide between 2 ( or more ) DAW's, no amount of comments on X vs Y threads will really help. Because people are pitching based on THEIR individual needs. So the first thing to do, is to really know what YOUR needs are, first and foremost.

Then you demo the damn things. You never really know what the experience is until you go through it. Yeah I know, no demo for LPX, so that sucks. Try it in an Apple Store if you can. And the elicenser key is not that expensive, since you can also use it for ..eh...
[email protected] Elicenser comment (Eh)...
Deleted User
Quote:
And the elicenser key is not that expensive, since you can also use it for ..eh...
VE Pro 5, which you'll need in Logic to get around the multi-core problem, or in Pro Tools to get around the AAX problem.
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This is what I have down so far:

Metering - Cubase (not even close)
Channel Strip - Cubase (not even close)
Chords - Cubase (Does LX even have this feature?)
Pitch Correction Cubase (but flex pitch looks easier to use, but does less and looks ugly)

GrooveMaster - Logic X
Track Stacks - Logic X
Smart Control - Logic X
Drummer - Logic X
Ipad Control - Logic X (it's free)
Arrangement Track - Logic X
Price - Logic X

I'm going to make this ignorant summary because it will simply things.

Cubase is clearly better for Audio/ Vocal editing (Variaudio/harmony/metering)

LX seems to be better for Midi Editing/Arrangements (Track Stacks/Arrangement track/groovemaster)

clarification - I assume the Arrangement track allows you to repeat regions automatically, without having to add them in manually?

Track Stacks has a "summing" feature which allows more options like automation and what not while Cubase Track folder pretty much just stacks the instruments/sounds into one location or can it "sum" too?

I believe my decision may come down to which one works with NI Maschine better.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
clarification - I assume the Arrangement track allows you to repeat regions automatically, without having to add them in manually?
No, repeating regions you could already do that in previous Logic versions ( various ways, by looping, with aliases, ...) . Arrangement basically allows you to put markers over your timeline , like Chorus, VerseA, VerseB , etc.. And shuffle between them quickly (all the tracks and regions included in that Verse or Chorus) to try different arrangements, like Chorus-VerseA-VerseB , instead of VerseA-Chorus-VerseB
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
you can get an elicenser for €12 inc post in europe from arturia...thats what I did and have been demoing Cubase 7 this month...

I have to be honest - although functionality wise Cubase has Logic X. I just cant get into the C7 interface...moving around - the look and the feel...Thought the console looked awful....I know it is superficial but it somehow matters...

I grew up on Logic then went to Live...think I might try Logic X again...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No, repeating regions you could already do that in previous Logic versions ( various ways, by looping, with aliases, ...) . Arrangement basically allows you to put markers over your timeline , like Chorus, VerseA, VerseB , etc.. And shuffle between them quickly (all the tracks and regions included in that Verse or Chorus) to try different arrangements, like Chorus-VerseA-VerseB , instead of VerseA-Chorus-VerseB
Ahh ok, So it makes it easier to bounce around the changes in your beats?

intro
verse
chorus
hook
bridge
breakdown

If that's the case, that could be useful. I decided to give LX and C7 the same score for pitch correction. I believe variaudio is better, but it looks harder to use.
Lives for gear

Quote:
what...??
LOL.

this is my GUI setting (Cubase 7.05)
(channel strips are invisible, don´t need)
think, it looks very nice, easy on the eyes, and comfortable...

drooooooool

coming from Logic to Live, I miss a proper mixer, and coming from Live I definitely prefer longer faders/meters (I stretch mine all the way out in Live) which Logic doesn't provide (I can't believe you still can't resize them!)

but coming from Live again, I would really miss the ability to undo mixer changes which wasn't possible in Logic 9 (anyone know if this changed in X?) and is not possible in Cubase 7 (or at least it wasn't last time I checked)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Drummer - Logic X
Is this a 'pro' or a 'con'?

By the way: I heard that Gavin is actually a great jazz drummer, but Apple only wanted him to only play indy rock.
He got a huge amount of imaginary money to appear in Logic though, so he didn't mind.

Quote:
Cubase is clearly better for Audio/ Vocal editing (Variaudio/harmony/metering)

LX seems to be better for Midi Editing/Arrangements (Track Stacks/Arrangement track/groovemaster)
While I appreciate your attempt to simplify things, I find this conclusion too simple. This doesn't do either of the applications justice in my opinion.
As far as I can see the set of MIDI editing features is pretty equal. Note expressions in Cubase seem to be very useful and the environment in Logic is very powerful to those who want to dive into that.
Cubase used to have 'groove quantize' which is groove master, but only for MIDI (they had this back when I was using Cubase on my Atari ST). Not sure if it is still there. I've got to get my hands on a manual.

EDIT: just looked at the manual of Cubase and apparently it has Groove Quantize for MIDI and audio... it probably had that for quite some time
It also has an arranger track, not sure what the difference is between that one and Logic's.

When it comes to Audio (and especially mixing) I do think that Cubase has the edge. And the built in EBU meters are great for anyone working in broadcast.

Oh, general BIG negative of cubase is the eLicenser, especially for laptop users.

Quote:
Track Stacks has a "summing" feature which allows more options like automation and what not while Cubase Track folder pretty much just stacks the instruments/sounds into one location or can it "sum" too?
If I understand correctly, Logic can automatically create a bus for all your stacked tracks, while you have to manually send foldered tracks to a bus in Cubase.
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How is multicore support in Cubase btw?
Does it work the same as in Logic (a track is processed by one core) or can tracks be split over multiple cores?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLex ➡️
How is multicore support in Cubase btw?
Does it work the same as in Logic (a track is processed by one core) or can tracks be split over multiple cores?
It depends on wich platform. As said on page 2 of this thread, Cubase 6.X had the worst performance of any DAW on the Mac, and far far behind Logic wich is the most efficient of any DAW on the Mac. Cubase is really a PC software badly ported to the Mac, so you should use a PC if you prefer Cubase.. I haven't demoed C7, but I heard a few accounts of it performing somewhat better this time on Mac, but I'm not sure if it's a big improvement or not.
📝 Reply