Quantcast
Logic 8 Compressor Models - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Logic 8 Compressor Models
Old 21st September 2007
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Logic 8 Compressor Models

I'm surprised to not see a thread about this already here on GS but now that people have had a chance to play around with LP8, any educated guesses or ideas on what hardware the new compressor models are based on?
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJE356 ➑️
The compressor got now different mode to emulation of vintage harware:

Platinum
Class AR (focusrite Red)
Class AU (Urei)
VCA
Fet
Opto
Old 22nd September 2007 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
thanks for the info man i appreciate it. I'll be the first to admit I'm not very knowledgeable right now about vintage hardware, I had wanted to find out what these models were so I could research the stuff they were based off of and get a little better understanding of their strengths and weaknesses. Do you happen to know what the other 3 models, VCA, Fet, and Opto are based on?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante310 ➑️
Do you happen to know what the other 3 models, VCA, Fet, and Opto are based on?
I do not think they are based on any models on the market, they are based on 'types' of compressor models.

From Mix Magazine Online:

Gain reduction could be divided into five types based on the electronic method used. Knowing how they each basically work will help you in proper selection and in knowing why certain units always seem to excel in certain applications.

Optical isolators •
The optical isolator section of compressors uses a light bulb (or an LED) to glow brighter or dimmer in response to incoming audio. A photocell (or phototransistor) is used to track the varying brightness of the bulb and change gain accordingly. This is a good example of an average responding detector. The inherent lag time that the bulb/photocell has in response to audio is factored into the attack and release time performance. The Teletronix LA-2 and the transistorized UREI LA-3 leveling amps are examples of this type of compressor. Compressors using this method are used a lot for bass guitar, vocals, program mix and drums. These compressors offer simple, natural sounding control (unless pressed hard).

FET •
Field Effect Transistor compressors use a special transistor to vary gain. FETs were the first transistor to emulate tubes in the way they worked internally. Inherently a high-impedance device, the FET compressor sounds like no other box, and not many examples exist because of the expense of the extra attendant circuitry required. FET compressors are extremely fast, clean and reliable. I like to use these on vocals where a good amount of compression sounds good or better than the same amount with another unit, and on drums for room mics or individual drum mics. UREI's 1176LN peak limiter and LA Audio's Classic II stereo compressor/limiter are examples of FET-based compressors.

VCA •
Voltage Controlled Amplifier compressors are the most versatile of all and so are the greatest in number. The VCA can quickly change gain in response to many different detectors looking at the same signal. VCA compressors are for the really tough cases where you want strict control over level and dynamics. However, they can be as gentle as any other compressor or anywhere in between. I like a good VCA compressor on vocals, drums, guitars, synths, bass, mix--basically anytime I need a compressor.

Vari-gain compressors •
Variable Gain compressors include all units that incorporate discrete circuitry other than VCAs, FETs or opto-isolators. I put the Manley Variable-Mu tube unit in this category, and I like using these types for vocals, drums and stereo mix.

Computer based/digital compressors • Computer-based or digital compressors are now more prevalent, offering the ability to process audio in the digital domain under precise computer control. Digital audio stored in a computer has the advantage of being "predictively" processed. You can have zero attack time gain reduction as well as nearly infinite control of all parameters of compression on a moment-to-moment basis. The Waves L1-UltraMaximizer TDM plug-in for Pro Tools is one example of a software-based compressor. TC Electronic makes the Finalizer Express hardware unit for studio mastering. This is a single-rackspace, stand-alone, digital multiband compressor.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
hey man, thanks so much for the help, that info is perfect.
Old 25th September 2007 | Show parent
Audio Alchemist

I'm wondering why they made Platinum default.

I must say the new compressor is a magificent improvement and a very nice software compressor on its own. I can definitely hear this replacing the Sonalksis in some cases.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Enable output clip (Hard) if you feel like smashing stuff around. Soft has a lower threshold and is rarely usable IMO, clip is straight clipping.
Yeah - i find soft ok on solo instruments, but on a whole mix you have to make sure the makeup is pretty low to avoid soggy fuzz mixes ( then follow with a gainer for makeup )

as a side note - I'm finding the limiter pretty much unusable ... anyone else ( not that it's a big deal ) ?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt ➑️
VCA and Opto modes are very good, FET is acceptable, the other modes aren't very usable IMO. I'm wondering why they made Platinum default as it sucks in comparison.
Hey man, I tried the Class AU (Urei) on female vocals yesterday and I could'nt believe my ears! Usually I use Sonalksis SV-315 for that, but this actually sounded better....really organic and kind of expensive....this is the first time I have any options when it comes to software compressors, besides Sonalksis! :-) I'm really, really happy with it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Am loving class AU too - but alas my comp is running L8 too sluggishly so am back to L7 to finish my current project so no new models for me ...... dayum !
Audio Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond ➑️
Hey man, I tried the Class AU (Urei) on female vocals yesterday and I could'nt believe my ears! Usually I use Sonalksis SV-315 for that, but this actually sounded better....really organic and kind of expensive....this is the first time I have any options when it comes to software compressors, besides Sonalksis! :-) I'm really, really happy with it.
Great, didn't try it on vocals but I certainly will. Thanks for the tip.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
VCA and Opto modes are very good, FET is acceptable, the other modes aren't very usable IMO. I'm wondering why they made Platinum default as it sucks in comparison.
Funny, FET mode is my new favorite compressor. Fantastic on electric guitars, for one.
Old 11th August 2008 | Show parent
Audio Alchemist

FET is actually quite good when doing parallel compression, I found out recently.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I don't think the platinum mode sucks, it's just a bit dull. I use it occasionally when I am purely trying to control dynamics (a much underrated use for compressors!).

Class AU has attitude.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Oh boy, I must say the new compressor is a magificent improvement and a very nice software compressor on its own. I can definitely hear this replacing the Sonalksis in some cases.
I find the platinum compressor great for ducking
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I've just started getting my head around Logic this last couple of weeks and just today someone on another forum pointed out about clicking the little triangle at the bottom and, voila, sidechain and mix features!

I tried a Potion a couple of weeks ago and loved the mix knob!

But yeah, I'm really liking the comp.

Oh and Lagerfeldt, I'm really diggin' your SSL presets as well. Have it across a few songs already.

I thought about attempting a 2500-ish model but started playing guitar instead... heh

Take care,

R.
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
i really like the Fet setting for drums. For some reason I thought neve 33609 when I first tried the fet setting. Opto setting is pretty useful also.
Old 12th August 2008 | Show parent
Audio Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebastian21 ➑️
I find the platinum compressor great for ducking
True, I use the Platinum for that too. So not all bad :-)
Audio Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey ➑️
Oh and Lagerfeldt, I'm really diggin' your SSL presets as well. Have it across a few songs already.
Great, and good luck with the guitar playing
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Don't forget there is a mix control in the extra hidden parameters. Just click the little disclosure arrow on the bottom left of the plugin window. Great for parallel compression without using a bus. I sometimes smash the snare with heavy comp, add a bit of output distortion and mix it underneath the uncompressed snare all on the same track. Very useful and missed by most people!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickrich ➑️
Very useful and missed by most people!
including me!

thanks a lot for that!

narco
Old 21st November 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
As far as that sub menu that you can get by clicking the triangle- I dont understand what the output distortion settings are emulating...

How is it adding distortion if your track isnt clipping??

Is it just 3 settings of distortion/character you can add (but not adjust)?
Old 21st November 2008 | Show parent
Audio Alchemist

"Clip" will simply clip the audio (like overloading a channel, but not quite). Flat, square. Push up make up gain to start clipping. There is a small time variable which sets all compressor output distortion models apart from regular clipping.

"Soft" will start distorting a lot earlier and provide a more rounded waveform but also very audible distortion. Not really "soft" at all, but this is just semantics. This type of distortion will be audible even when not pushing the make up gain, but more gain will result in more distortion.

"Hard" is a like soft distortion but has a steeper curve, i.e. it doesn't distort quite as early. Same rules apply as soft clipping.

Also, check out this thread
SSL 4000 G presets for Logic 8 Compressor (download)
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
here are my instinctual reactions after using all of the circuits for a few months;

platinum - slow attack/release... kind of dull. meant for leveling than characterized compression.

class AR - quicker reaction than platinum but still sort of dull.

class AU - super expensive, vintage, analog vibe. fast reacting, but also really musical. probably my favorite and most "reliable" compressor.

VCA - really quick, more sensitive threshold. kind of wild too... in a cool way

FET - thick. great for drums and parallel bussing. it moves quickly but also in a nice, round kind of way.

Opto - fast. drop the threshold down low enough and this this thing sounds like a nuclear shockwave squashing your signal. back off on the speed and its like an LA2A
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
"clicking the little triangle at the bottom" ???

What? Where?

kid65
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
at the bottom of the compressor there is a little triangle... click it
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I use the VCA for ducking, try a very light ratio with big amount of softknee. the ducking (if release is not too fast) will sound "invisible" down to values like 4-5 db of gain-reduction.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
My recipe for for a sick drum bus is via class A_U with attack at 50% say 60-65ms, release below 10ms (8 is somehow ideal) threshold at -10, and with the output distortion set to hard clip. Mix this as needed, I tend to stay away from 100% but mix generally below 75%.

BTW I really love the new Logic 8 compressor. The circuit types are amazing and more and more folks are finding secrets about them that unlock a lot of potential. See Lagerfelt's comment above (where he meticulously somehow 'matched' this compressor to the Waves SSL). Cheers to him for that!!
Old 25th April 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
This is an old thread but just had to say thanks for this!
Old 28th January 2015

🎧 5 years
There is a preset in logic for compression named "smashed". Does anyone know what type of compressor and settings would be used with real physical compressor to get such effect?
πŸ“ Reply