The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer X Touch with Logic Pro
Old 29th March 2021
Here for the gear

Behringer X Touch with Logic Pro

Hi All -

Hope you're all well. Recently I bought an x touch (universal Control...). I read (and seen on youtube) that it's suppose to work pretty much as is out of the box with LPX.

I'm still trying to understand everything, but the one question I have is has anyone else got this combo? At the moment the Modify buttons aren't working for me. Has anyone had this issue. If so has anyone got a resolution for it, or even advice on how I could debug the problem.

I'm also interested to know if other people don't have this issue.

I'm currently running LPX 10.5. I have also updated to the latest firmware on the x touch.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated,
Thanks in advance,
Charles
Old 29th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
A thorough and careful reading of the 'Control Surfaces Support' manual - the chapter on Mackie Control - https://support.apple.com/guide/logi...ss/welcome/mac is required.

Try to locate an earlier version of the manual in PDF, read the introductory chapters along with the Mackie Control chapter. Try each of the commands to see how they behave. Enlightening.

I have been happily using my X-Touch with Logic for over 4 years. I get better at it, and learn new things all the time.
Old 31st March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by facej ➡️
A thorough and careful reading of the 'Control Surfaces Support' manual - the chapter on Mackie Control - https://support.apple.com/guide/logi...ss/welcome/mac is required.

Try to locate an earlier version of the manual in PDF, read the introductory chapters along with the Mackie Control chapter. Try each of the commands to see how they behave. Enlightening.

I have been happily using my X-Touch with Logic for over 4 years. I get better at it, and learn new things all the time.
Hi There Facej

Thanks for the reply. So I have read the surface control manual... to some degree.

• SHIFT: Provides an alternate function or meaning for a button.
• OPTION: The function applies to all channel strips. For relative value changes, sets the
value to its minimum, default, or maximum, depending on whether you’re increasing or
decreasing it.
• CONTROL: Hold down to turn on group clutch and temporarily disable channel strip
groups.
• CMD/ALT: Allows fine-tuning or a variation of the function

So reading this does this mean I'm wrong and they don't mimic the keys on the keyboard. For instance if I hold down the alt key it will allow me to copy an element from one track to the other. But the button won't. I'm not clear when those descriptions above actually mean.

So is my understanding of how to use these keys incorrect? Even though it also says "The four Modifier buttons correspond to the modifier keys on your computer keyboard ".

Please tell me I'm being an idiot and explain how they can.

Thanks once again,
Charles
Old 31st March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmotiveSigns ➡️
Hi There Facej

• SHIFT: Provides an alternate function or meaning for a button.
• OPTION: The function applies to all channel strips. For relative value changes, sets the
value to its minimum, default, or maximum, depending on whether you’re increasing or
decreasing it.
• CONTROL: Hold down to turn on group clutch and temporarily disable channel strip
groups.
• CMD/ALT: Allows fine-tuning or a variation of the function

So reading this does this mean I'm wrong and they don't mimic the keys on the keyboard. For instance if I hold down the alt key it will allow me to copy an element from one track to the other. But the button won't. I'm not clear when those descriptions above actually mean.
Please tell me I'm being an idiot and explain how they can.
You need to read the "charts" that explain things like the 'Mackie Control function keys' this will tell you one of the buttons does, like F1, and what happens when you do a SHIFT F1, CMD F1, or what have you.

SHIFT F3 opens the Event List, etc. etc. etc.

The comparison to keyboard keys is unfortunate

Read ALL of the Mackie Control section. Try each of the button combinations and watch what it does to both the X-Touch display, and what it does to Logic.
Old 1st April 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hi -

Thanks for your response and your patience. I guess the nearest I get too is alt + F1 / F2 / F3 for Cut, copy and paste. Slight change to my workflow I guess.... but already feeling the benefits of the x-touch overall.

Lots of reading ahead :-)

Thanks,
Charles
Old 23rd June 2021
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Hi,

I used to have a Mackie MCU, and I just picked up a X-Touch for use with Logic Pro X. The Mackie protocol seems really good as most things I remember work the same way on the X-Touch as they did on the MCU. To dive a little deeper, I decided to work through the Mackie Control section of the Logic Control Manual, especially the charts beginning on page 43. I have only encountered one thing that does not seem to work on the X-Touch as described in the manual. It is also not really a big deal if it does not because there are other ways of doing the same thing. This is more about verifying what works as described in the manual on the X-Touch.

In the table that outlines the channel strip controls and their functions; the solo button, either by itself or in combination with the OPTION button, should switch between pre/post fader mode of the send on the selected track.

The manual says this works the you are in Send Destination/Level Mixer view. So, the first thing I do is press the Send button to put the X-Touch in Send Destination/Level Mixer view. First thing I want to check is, is this correct? Next, I press the Option button followed by the Solo button, which change the Send pre/post position. It does not work. So, I tried the same sequence but without pressing the Option button, and it still does not work. Both procedures simply turn the solo on and off.

This would actually be pretty handy, if it worked. Has anybody managed to get this to work? Am I doing something wrong in the sequence of button presses?

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th June 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
page 58 in my manual (you should be clear what you are reading)
"In the Send Destination/Level view (see Mackie Control Send button overview on page 68), the SOLO button controls the Pre/Post mode selection for both Mixer view and Channel view."

When I press the SEND button the second time (important) the controls switch and allow me to adjust pre/post fader sends...

When I press SEND the first time I can change which send is being used. It is required to press it the second time to get to "Send Channel View" as opposed to the "Send Mixer View"
Old 27th June 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
page 58 in my manual (you should be clear what you are reading)
"In the Send Destination/Level view (see Mackie Control Send button overview on page 68), the SOLO button controls the Pre/Post mode selection for both Mixer view and Channel view."

When I press the SEND button the second time (important) the controls switch and allow me to adjust pre/post fader sends...

When I press SEND the first time I can change which send is being used. It is required to press it the second time to get to "Send Channel View" as opposed to the "Send Mixer View"
Thanks for the reply. Your answer does not exactly answer the question I asked, but it did lead me to the answer. My manual is a little later version (page numbers do not line up), so I will use the manual you referenced.

The feature I was asking about is listed on page 58 you quoted:
In the Send Destination/Level view (see Mackie Control Send button overview on page 68), the SOLO button controls the Pre/Post mode selection for both Mixer view and Channel view.

Page 98, the table that lists all the functions, also shows the solo button as controlling pre/post position of the send. The table is a little confusing because it also contains shows using the option button, so I was not sure you needed the option button to use the solo button to switch the pre/post position. I could not get it to work either way.

The problem, as you stated, is being clear about what I was reading. However, simply pressing the send to get into send mixer view and again to get into send channel view does not let you use the solo button to engage pre/post on the bus.

You have to hold down the send button and press either V-pot 7 to get into Send Destination/Level Mixer view or V-pot 8 to get into Send Destination/Level Channel view. Once you are in either of these views, then the solo button will switch the pre/post function of the send.

Thanks again, you answer helped me find the answer to my question.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for providing the answer to the real question. I have been working to understand my X-Touch since day one, and each day I get a little better at it.

At some point I want to be able to mix entire songs without ever looking at the screen and only using the control surface and an attached keyboard...

I have as many versions of the manual that I can find (including the original Logic Control manual) - things disappear between versions. I have found the proper use (order, simultaneous or not) of OPTION, SHIFT, and CONTROL to be tricky, since there really is no "simultaneous" pressing of the buttons, and useful to know that button down and button up can cause different things to happen.

I will be checking out those different V-pot sequences - SENDS are next up on my road to control surface bliss. Sort of why I love the Logic EQs - built for Logic Control, or Logic Control is built for the EQs...

Thanks!
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks for providing the answer to the real question. I have been working to understand my X-Touch since day one, and each day I get a little better at it.

At some point I want to be able to mix entire songs without ever looking at the screen and only using the control surface and an attached keyboard...

I have as many versions of the manual that I can find (including the original Logic Control manual) - things disappear between versions. I have found the proper use (order, simultaneous or not) of OPTION, SHIFT, and CONTROL to be tricky, since there really is no "simultaneous" pressing of the buttons, and useful to know that button down and button up can cause different things to happen.

I will be checking out those different V-pot sequences - SENDS are next up on my road to control surface bliss. Sort of why I love the Logic EQs - built for Logic Control, or Logic Control is built for the EQs...

Thanks!
I am working towards the same goal, which is why I am going through the manual explore all the functions. This forum and people helping each other is great way to achieve that goal. Thanks again.

On another note, I really like the X-Touch, and I think it will really the number of times I have to reach for the mouse.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cscotto ➡️
I am working towards the same goal, which is why I am going through the manual explore all the functions. This forum and people helping each other is great way to achieve that goal. Thanks again.

On another note, I really like the X-Touch, and I think it will really the number of times I have to reach for the mouse.
I get the added advantage that my X-Touch works just fine with my XR18 which is my interface. One button push and I can swap between mixer and DAW.
Old 16th February 2022
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Input Monitoring "I"

Dear Madams and Sirs,

I am thinking of getting a Behringer X-TOUCH for use with Logic Pro X.

I am just thinking about the Input Monitoring "I" button on all tracks. I can't see a button for this on the X-TOUCH.

I am a bit scared I would have to use the mouse for this, which seems a bit of a downer. Is anyone using the X-TOUCH for tracking?

Humbly, Ylan
📝 Reply