The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Exporting stems for mixing
Old 4th September 2017
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Exporting stems for mixing

Sorry for this newbie question, but this is really frustrating for me...

What's the best way to export stems on logic to have them mixed in another daw? Do I have to solo export each track individually? That seems really monotonous.

This maybe be super obvious but logic pro isn't my main daw and my friend wanted me to add some stuff production wise in Ableton. He's a newbie so he didn't know how to export stems so he just sent me the masters.
Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Export regions/tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetrain96 ➡️

What's the best way to export stems on logic to have them mixed in another daw? Do I have to solo export each track individually? That seems really monotonous.

This maybe be super obvious but logic pro isn't my main daw and my friend wanted me to add some stuff production wise in Ableton. He's a newbie so he didn't know how to export stems so he just sent me the masters.
New in latest update (or maybe one back).

Select the regions you want exported, export regions as audio files.
You can also do the same thing for tracks, or all audio files.

Logic Pro X 10.3.2

If you want to "bounce" stems you can use the bounce button on output tracks.

If you want to "group" a bunch of tracks set the tracks output to a buss, in the mixer do a "create track" for the buss, select the track, export audio.

NB: type "Logic Pro X Bounce Stems" into a Google search box
Old 19th October 2017
Here for the gear

To add to that, the File/ Export/ All Tracks As Audio is also a really good thing to get in the habbit of doing when you are finished with a project. IT gives you at least a basic starting point if you ever need to work on the project again and you have changed, DAWs, plugins, ect.
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetrain96 ➡️

That’s pretty straight forward,

Just select tracks that you want to group and create summing track stacks.
Once done you should end up with say summing stacks like drums, strings, vocals a, vocals b etc.

Close the track stacks either with the key command open/close all track stacks or option +click on one of the track stack disclosure triangle.

Now command select all summing track stacks and choose File - Export - Selected Tracks as Audio File. (command+E)

The export dialog will then allow you to choose a naming scheme which is straight forward as well.

From the Manual

Export selected tracks as an audio file
Select the track to export, then choose File > Export > Track as Audio File.

Choose a file format for the exported audio file from the Save Format pop-up menu.

Choose the bit depth for the exported audio file from the Bit Depth pop-up menu.

Set the following parameters, as necessary:

Range: Choose whether to trim silence at the end of the exported file(s), export only the cycle range, or extend silence to the project end.

Multi-Output Software Instruments: For software instrument tracks with multi-output software instruments, choose one of the following options:

One File per Track: Mixes the multi-output signals with the main output into one file, for each multi-output software instrument track. In situations where multiple tracks use the same multi-output software instrument channel strip, one file is created for each track.

One File per Channel Strip: Creates additional files for each aux channel strip that has an output of the selected track’s multi-output software instrument as Input source.

Bypass Effect Plug-ins: Select to disable all plug-ins on the source track.

Include Audio Tail: Select to extend the length of the created file to include any instrument release and potential effect tail (reverb, delay, and so on).

Include Volume/Pan Automation: Select to have volume and pan automation performed on export, with their result influencing the created file. Otherwise, the volume and pan automation is simply copied, but not performed.

Note: If you plan to use the exported regions with an external application for processing, mixing, or editing, exporting them with no volume and pan automation is generally desirable.

Normalize: Choose one of the following options:

Off: The exported file is not normalized.

Overload Protection Only: Allows downward normalization in case of overloads—levels above 0 dB, which would lead to clipping—but no normalization in case of lower levels.

On: The exported file is normalized both for overloads and for Lowell levels.

Select the Add resulting files to Project Audio Browser checkbox to add the exported file to the Project Audio Browser.

To specify the filename pattern: Drag one or more elements to the Pattern field in the order you want them to have in the filenames.

To add a custom name, drag the Custom element to the Pattern field, then type in the Custom field.

An example filename appears below the elements.

Browse to a location to save the exported file or files.

Click Save.
📝 Reply